Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

But to be honest, Beyond The Forest, and especially when the Tauriel/Kili theme comes in on full chorus, was pretty much the first piece that recreated the feeling of hearing some LotR highlights for the first time. It convinced me that Shore still has it.

Also my favorite moment. Sad that I was the only guy in the theater sitting through the entire credits sequence to enjoy it.

By the way, has Doug Adams already commented on the naming structure of the cues? Seems to be a bit different than those on the LotR films. Like the cue "Feast of Starlight" was slated mr172 718 901. I wonder if 172 is the cue slate and 718 and 901 describes the scenes the music will be placed in?

Yes! And in Khuzdul, please!

Yeah, but if the Misty Mountains theme no longer serves any purpose in DoS, why should it return in TABA?

Yeah, but if the Misty Mountains theme no longer serves any purpose in DoS, why should it return in TABA?

I said this before - the Dwarves can sing that song on the eve of the battle as in the book, the one that has the same tune but with different lyrics to reflect their (short-lived) success. Then it can be worked back in the score and play for the last time in all its glory during that bit where they emerge. It makes perfect sense.

And whilst we're on the subject of things we want to hear in TABA, if they have Balin talk about his proposed Moria expedition at the end, a snippet of the Dwarrowdelf theme (similar to that heard when Gimli comes across his tomb) would be a fine touch.

Wait, never recorded, or never used? Huge difference.

I'm assuming "never materialized" meant it never made it to the recording sessions.

Why would you assume that? I'm sure there was plenty of stuff recorded that they didn't stick in the EE appendixes.

But something that big in scope or novel would probably have been in the appendices. I mean I'm sure they would have put in choral versions over piano/guitar versions of the MM theme and Thorin's theme. What we haven't heard are likely just minor alternates.

Hopefully it is a similar situation to The Journey There, where it sits out the second film, and returns in the third.

Ooh, a Dale theme hinted at! Hoping for a few great new themes in the final middle earth score.

What are you referring to, please?

He is probably listening to the podcast, and typing things as he listens to it, forgetting that we are not all listening to it with him.

By the way, has Doug Adams already commented on the naming structure of the cues? Seems to be a bit different than those on the LotR films. Like the cue "Feast of Starlight" was slated mr172 718 901. I wonder if 172 is the cue slate and 718 and 901 describes the scenes the music will be placed in?

Hey FunnyML, where did you come across that cue number, and do you know any others?

I'd stay still if I were you.

When last I looked, Ricard, not Jason was king of JWfan. (just fitting the names, not promoting any agenda)

Hey FunnyML, where did you come across that cue number, and do you know any others?

Nevermind, I answered my own question (actually, KK found it). You can see it at 4:14 of the vlog:

post-50-0-15344200-1389061297_thumb.jpg

Hold on, did we all just go a full page of LotR quotes because Jason asked about one cue number?

Only at JWFan...

Other cue numbers I found:

attachicon.gifmr272B 1003 1005 (Insert165-171).JPG

All the sheets in this picture appear to be from "My Armor is Iron".

The insert at the front (Bars 165-171) specifically indicates the passage at 3:06 (the House of Durin theme).

The page on the right indicates the statement of Thorin's theme at 3:40 in the same cue.

Video Blog 14 is full of those, a small list:

mr132A

mr132B

mr143A

mr153C

mr162

mr168A (thranduil scene)

mr172 (Feast of Starlight)

mr172B PT2

mr222

mr251

mr251D

mr253

mr255

mr272A+B

Nevermind, I answered my own question (actually, KK found it). You can see it at 4:14 of the vlog:

Okay :)