Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

Well, I was mostly talking about the AUJ versions. But then again, that complete statement you mention will probably still be deconstructed in the third film... ?

Karol

The version in A Spell Of Concealment IS the final version from LOTR.

I actually meant more AUJ than DoS where all is revealed. The revelation comes towards the end of DoS with full blast though. It doesn't leave anything ambiguous does it. ;)

EDIT: heh you beat me to it Karol. :P

The version in A Spell Of Concealment IS the final version from LOTR.

exaclty since it comes from ROTK.

For me this version is more a theme for the mordor army... the sauron one (for me) is the more straightforward version from other renditions

Well yes, the army's march is more linked to the Descending Thirds march variant, it just has Sauron's theme playing on top of it

Seeing BB's video made me realize that the Witch-King motif isn't in the rescored version of the High Fells scene. Pity, I would have liked to hear that.

Seeing BB's video made me realize that the Witch-King motif isn't in the rescored version of the High Fells scene. Pity, I would have liked to hear that.

But the extended soundtrack adds a whole minute. No reason to despair just yet.

And that review quote means nothing. It's already suspicious when someone uses the word "music track". Granted, it's one step above "songs" or "tunes", but today's audience doesn't seem to notice or want to notice more detailed scoring anyway, so who cares?

Conrad Pope said it was the first time him and Shore saw the theatrical film on FaceBook, and they discussed how it was used in the final version. Sounds to me like some of it was changed, maybe tracked bits, I don't know.

And that review quote means nothing. It's already suspicious when someone uses the word "music track". Granted, it's one step above "songs" or "tunes", but today's audience doesn't seem to notice or want to notice more detailed scoring anyway, so who cares?

I'm surprised they didn't notice the Woodland Realm, Laketown or the beautiful choral bits Shore wrote.

If it isn't simple and epic RCP style music they won't take note.

He seemed happier than usual in his interview and it sounded like Conrad had a good time with Shore on the night of the premiere.

Still don't understand why he doesn't choose to shave though...

BloodBoal's video? Where?

It's the video in the "Hobbit Score Restored" thread, where he took the Edge of the Wild track and placed against the footage to give us an idea of how the music scored its designated sequence.

As Conrad Pope said on facebook:

After working on Howard’s score for so many months, it was great to see the film and be immediately able to sit and talk with him about his music and how his score was finally used in the film. It was the first time either of us had seen the ““final theatrical version” of the film with everything “done and dusted”, so there was much conversation, indeed!

To me that sounds more promising than not.

Last night Nan , three of the kids and I attended the premiere of Peter Jackson’s "The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug" . The film overflows with action, fights of every description, cliffhangers, and, of course, the forces of good and evil locked in mortal battle flavored with large doses of necromantic phantasmagoria—or, as it is known in Wellington, “another day at the office”. It was an amazing, a...stounding feat of both filmmaking and music making for film. Bravo to Howard Shore for having, over all these years and epic films, fashioned a unique musical vocabulary and style to support and define the adventures in Middle Earth so effectively and engagingly.

After working on Howard’s score for so many months, it was great to see the film and be immediately able to sit and talk with him about his music and how his score was finally used in the film. It was the first time either of us had seen the ““final theatrical version” of the film with everything “done and dusted”, so there was much conversation, indeed!

That's the whole thing. Sounds like the Pope had a good time and was pretty pleased with the whole thing....musically at least. ;)

Fair enough.

The lovely colourful woodwind bit at 2:51 in "Smaug", could that be for the thrush that warns Bard?

Fair enough.

The lovely colourful woodwind bit at 2:51 in "Smaug", could that be for the thrush that warns Bard?

Yeah that was a surprising change of tone in that track but a brilliant one. Same goes for the rapid and chipper woodwinds in The Forest River. Lovely unique stuff from Shore. :)

Well it might be that they wanted to go with something more straightforward than the Witch-King and the Orcs of Mordor motif and the High Fells does feature the Threat of Mordor retrograde instead. Plus it sets the thematic continuation to rights (no 4th Age themes in the Hobbit apart from the blasted Gondor Reborn now) so I like it! ;)

Plus as Georg said it still might be there on the SE version.

Highly doubt it since

Smaug doesn't die in DOS but in TABA. I don't think they'll have the thrush warn Bard in DOS with his confrontation with Smaug being in TABA. I'm not even sure they'll have the thrush warn Bard at all, anyway...

Well couldn't it just be the thrush departing the mountain to warn Bard, and not the actual warning? It apparently wouldn't nearly be the only thing that will be left as a cliffhanger.

There's a scene involving Thorin and Bard just released which at least confirms that Bard's theme has remained intact. Infact, it preserves a fair amount of music from the 'Durin's Folk' track. Just the early parts of Bard's theme that start after that grand statement of Thorin's theme are missing, but I can see why Jackson didn't want music in that particular part.

Wait and how do you know the music is not supposed to be be this way and the album version is somehow edited?

Karol

Well a portion of 'Durin's Folk' fits the scene perfectly, it's just that the opening part of Bard's theme which begins directly after that statement of Thorin's theme on the soundtrack does not appear to be used in the film. It's nothing major - indeed such things are to be expected -, just an observation. Since we haven't had the view of someone knowledgable on the score yet I'm just trying to little gauge things from the small clips released. Infact, I'd consider this somewhat encouraging.

Well my copy of SE is on its way and will hopefully arrive tomorrow! :D