Howard Shore's The Desolation Of Smaug (Hobbit Part 2)

gkgyver

It's going to be the Decca shitty version, right?

Well it probably will but in the end the digipak is not the point now is it. Or perhaps for you it will be. I am more concerned about you know...the music.

Plus now I will have a complete collection of the shitty SE digipaks! ;)

Well it probably will but in the end the digipak is not the point now is it. Or perhaps for you it will be. I am more concerned about you know...the music.

Pfff... That's just what people who preordered the Decca version keep telling themselves to feel better. But the truth is that it pisses them off.

Pfff... That's just what people who preordered the Decca version keep telling themselves to feel better. But the truth is that it pisses them off.

Nah I was pissed off last year. Now I know what to expect and have a nice double CD jewel case handy to store the new shiny discs!

Jewel cases are for peasants.

And for those who do not like to destroy their CDs prematurely by keeping them in a cardboard sleeve. But as Jason said before most of us rip the CDs and then they rest in the CD case unused for a long time. :P

The only time I pull my Hobbit SE OST off the shelf is to read Doug's notes, I have the music on my phone, ipod, and computer.

I pre-ordered the SE from amazon.co.uk this time, to avoid the shitty floppy digipak, but I'm a little concerned that the image shown there looks more like one of those than a proper sturdy digibook... should I worry?

I preßordered the SE from amazon.co.uk this time, to avoid the shitty floppy digipak, but IÄm a little concerned that the image shown there looks more like one of those than a proper sturdy digibook... should I worry?

That doesn't make sense, because last year all international versions where the crappy packaging including the UK - only the US got the good packaging. I'd cancel and re-order from Amazon US if you are concerned.

However, nobody actually has a physical copy yet that I know of, so we don't even know yet if the US and International versions are even different this year - and if they are, which one is better.

Well my copy of SE is on its way and will hopefully arrive tomorrow! :D

Where did you order it from?

Karol

I cancelled my Amazon UK order and ordered it from a local CD store chain (one of the few still in existence in Finland). Apparently the release date of 5th of December on the Universal Music Finland site was correct. :)

Yes as BloodBoal mentioned, with AUJ the WaterTower version was good, the Decca version was bad. Who knows what they are like this year.

How come people are getting the SE early?

For some reason the release date is the 5th here in Finland (perhaps the whole Scandinavia). I am not complaining though. ;)

Amazon.de lists 6th of December as the release date btw.

For some reason the release date is the 5th here in Finland (perhaps the whole Scandinavia). I am not complaining though. ;)

I wanna hear that 3. A Necromancer (Bonus Track) soooooo much!

My CD will probably ship Friday or Saturday. Ah never mind, it's less than a week away. I'm so busy it will hardly be noticed.

Karol

My CD will probably ship Friday or Saturday. Ah never mind, it's less than a week away. I'm so busy it will hardly be noticed.

Karol

Oh come now! I will probably get to hear the whole thing tomorrow! Showing a smidgeon of envy would be entirely justified in this instance. Those extra 13 minutes could be phenomenal. ;)

But with my luck some kind of nation wide postal service strike will probably take place tomorrow to ruin my day. :P

That's more like it!

One thing about the album surprised me though. There is not a single full choral rendition of the Woodland Realm's theme in the vein of its only alluring appearance in AUJ. But I guess the elves of the realm and Thranduil are painted in bit more earthy (and even dangerous and grim) tones musically than the ethereally exotic Lothlorien or the lofty and learned Rivendell

But I guess the elves of the realm and Thranduil are painted in bit more earthy (and even dangerous and grim) tones musically than the ethereally exotic Lothlorien or the lofty and learned Rivendell

You've already said that like 20 times before!

But I guess the elves of the realm and Thranduil are painted in bit more earthy (and even dangerous and grim) tones musically than the ethereally exotic Lothlorien or the lofty and learned Rivendell

You've already said that like 20 times before!

I know! I like to repeat myself so everybody has had a chance to read it. And I do mean everybody. ;)

Or it just might be my befuddlement talking. You know advanced age and all that.

mpfotr11_01.jpg

Pope is a nice guy, but I really wouldn't give too much weight to statements by people who worked in the inner circle of the project.

Like Doug?

People close to the artist do not see the music for what it is. They are too close to the person and his work. You need the distance. It takes a complete stranger from another country (over the internet) to fully with unbiased attitude to assess these things.

Pope is a nice guy, but I really wouldn't give too much weight to statements by people who worked in the inner circle of the project.

Like Doug?

We don't ask Doug how the score turned out in the film, but for technical information about themes, connections and the process of the scoring sessions. And he's a great source.

The subject was the presentation of the score in the film, a wholly different thing, and I doubt Doug is involved in that, and that someone as involved as Pope or Shore would say a negative thing about it.

The lovely colourful woodwind bit at 2:51 in "Smaug", could that be for the thrush that warns Bard?

Highly doubt it since

Smaug doesn't die in DOS but in TABA. I don't think they'll have the thrush warn Bard in DOS with his confrontation with Smaug being in TABA. I'm not even sure they'll have the thrush warn Bard at all, anyway...

Well considering the focus on the thrush at the end of AUJ, I'm quite certain PJ will actually have a thrush go out and warn Bard.

And the thrush doesn't neccessarily have to go out and warn Bard yet, maybe it's just flying around and escaping.

OK it has arrived! :)

Initial observations:

Yes it is the Decca's flimsy digipak but what can you do when it is the distributor of the CD in Europe. It is also identical to the one last year with the difficult inward facing sleeves for the CDs and I don't think it is any sturdier this time around. The booklet is hidden under a cardboard sleeve where you have to wheedle it out but it isn't the worst design in itself.

And in case someone will want a pristine and new experience of exploring the SE themselves I will put the following in spoiler tags just in case. ;)

The advertised Interactive Sheet Music is a separate folded sheet of paper with a passage from an orchestra sketch called Barrels out of Bond in the composer's own handwriting (one of the first things he ever wrote for the film apparently) and Shore's short note explaining that you can hear it in the track Forest River. This is not all folks! You can download an app on your iOS and select Android devices from Water Tower Records and by pointing your phone at the sheet music and "watch the artwork come to life with immersive artwork and videos". You can also unlock hidden additional content in the album packaging. Hopefully someone will soon shed light on this as I am antediluvian and have no Android devices.

Liner notes at a quick glance offer Peter Jackson's 2 page note (Shore gets his due praise in there!) and a lot of pictures from the film, Doug's analysis and lo and behold Shore's (hope at least a probable facsimile) sketches for the new themes in his own hand it would seem! Neat!

And now a quick (2 hour +) listening of the SE! :)

Pictures God damn it pictures! :stick:

Sorry I am like John Williams with technology! I don't even have a decent camera! Sad I know but true so I can't oblige. :(

I haven't looked at it closely, but maybe the boy soprano in High Fells is related to Gandalf's secondary theme?

I think Doug pretty much confirms this in his liner notes for SE. Some first rate theme spotting there KK! :)

I will have to get more acquainted with this set to be able to say something more comprehensive (I have listened to the Regular version tracks through only a few times so I am not super familiar with it).

The bonus track A Necromancer plays pretty much as you would expect from the name with a lot of renditions of the bad guy themes, a veiled version of Smaug's Seductive theme, a sneaky half-way rendition of the History of the Ring, Evil of the Ring (chilling high strings and a tense blaring brass and strings versions), the clearest rendition of Azog's Theme in the whole score

and both of the supporting Necromancer motifs making appearances. A worthy addition to the score I feel.

Disc 1, track 4 The House of Beorn: additional statement of the Necromancer material (Descending Thirds) and perhaps the Mirkwood Spiders motif appear now in there, most likely part of the "nice" discussion Gandalf and Beorn and the dwarven company are having.

Disc 1, track 5 Mirkwood: Possibly more variations on the Mirkwood theme?

Disc 1, track 6 Flies and Spiders: Now the angular rhythmic motif featured in Radagast the Brown for the Spiders of Mirkwood makes an appearance before the action music begins! The ending is all new, featuring a Weakness and Redemption type rising and falling motif (which I might call the Burglar motif) and some rather Hobbity sounding suspense music, perhaps invisible Bilbo trailing after the captive dwarves through the woods.

Disc 1, track 7 Woodland Realm: A short passage of suspense music, most likely for Bilbo is added to the track. Also another short repeating phrase of what sounds like a very compressed version of Thorin's Pride (heard in a similar guise in A Troll Hoard in AUJ) is added to the existing rendition of the motif that is on the Regular edition (heard 1:46 on the DoS regular OST).

Disc 1, track 10 The Forest River: Brief new ending with sharp heavy percussion hits and rumbling brass.

Disc 1, track 12 High Fells: Again more ponderous and dramatic underscore that gives away to a new heavy rendition of Threat of Mordor. So no Witch-King motif here guys.

I'm interested in knowing what the extra bit at the end of Durin's Folk is

It sounds like a transition passage for propulsive brass and strings and followed by an angry rhythmic yet truncated version of Threat of Mordor if I interpret it correctly.

Disc 2 track 5: A Spell of Concealment opens with additional repeated phrases of the Necromancer Descending Thirds.

Disc 2 track 12 Smaug is extended more than a minute at the end and continues where the regular OST leaves off with cold drawn out and chilling suspense chords before one final quick build-up to sudden raging orchestral and choral crescendo that slowly fades away.

I haven't looked at it closely, but maybe the boy soprano in High Fells is related to Gandalf's secondary theme?

I think Doug pretty much confirms this in his liner notes for SE. Some first rate theme spotting there KK! :)

Hehe, sometimes you've just gotta listen to your guts :)

Sorry if I missed the early explanation, but did score arrive earlier for you Finnish folk?

I will have to get more acquainted with this set to be able to say something more comprehensive (I have listened to the Regular version tracks through only a few times so I am not super familiar with it).

The bonus track A Necromancer plays pretty much as you would expect from the name with a lot of renditions of the bad guy themes, a veiled version of Smaug's Seductive theme, a sneaky half-way rendition of the History of the Ring, Evil of the Ring (chilling high strings and a tense blaring brass and strings versions), the clearest rendition of Azog's Theme in the whole score

and both of the supporting Necromancer motifs making appearances. A worthy addition to the score I feel.

Disc 1, track 4 The House of Beorn: additional statement of the Necromancer material (Descending Thirds) and perhaps the Mirkwood Spiders motif appear now in there, most likely part of the "nice" discussion Gandalf and Beorn and the dwarven company are having.

Disc 1, track 5 Mirkwood: More variations on the Mirkwood theme.

I'm interested in knowing what the extra bit at the end of Durin's Folk is

It sounds like a transition passage for propulsive brass and strings and followed by an angry rhythmic yet truncated version of Threat of Mordor if I interpret it correctly.

Disc 2 track 5: A Spell of Concealment opens with additional repeated phrases of the Necromancer Descending Thirds.

Disc 2 track 12 Smaug is extended more than a minute at the end and continues where the regular OST leaves off with cold drawn out and chilling suspense chords before one final quick build-up to sudden raging orchestral and choral crescendo that slowly fades away.

Thankyou so much for that. This "sounds" fantastic!! Really can't wait to hear! :)

Hehe, sometimes you've just gotta listen to your guts :)

Sorry if I missed the early explanation, but did score arrive earlier for you Finnish folk?

For some unexplainable reason we have been visited by this boon yes. :)

So you're saying there are some alternates? Or do these "new" endings basically extend what we already heard?

Karol

They just extend the tracks. No alternates here as far as I can hear. As Jason said before the regular OST doesn't have anything not on the SE beyond a single 7 second opening of A Spell of Concealment.

But you would say those additions are worth having?

Karol

A tough question. Some would say they don't offer enough substance but I would say they complete the picture. They really feel like what they are, passages removed from the composition, so they add tiny nuances and accents to the existing music. The bonus track is thematically substantial piece of music so I thought it was a great addition to the whole.

Also, I'm guessing the the additional material help smooth out some of the more jarring microedits, adding to the musical flow of the album. That in itself is a good enough reason to get the deluxe edition.