Fitzwilly (expanded) from Music Box Records

Thor

@Miguel Andrade

@Incanus

By reading to you, we would believe that John William is an old moron. I think he's very conscious when he reuses one of his old melodies.

Bespin are you a composer?

Because if you were I think you'd understand that it is very possible to be unconscious.

Because if you were I think you'd understand that it is very possible to be unconscious.

So you are trying to say that you're a composer and you probably will not be conscious of reusing a entire theme that you developped 32 years ago, so John Williams is not.

Is that right? :D

The film is crappy, but the score is really good. Love both the jazzy parts and the dramatic bits that sound like leftovers from INDIANA JONES (like "Gimbel's Robbery"). It also contains one of the rare instances where Williams copies himself -- the main song from this film, "Make Me Rainbows", basically being reworked as "In the Moonlight" from SABRINA.

I wouldn't call it "rare." JW does it often enough (like any other composer).

@Miguel Andrade

@Incanus

By reading to you, we would believe that John William is an old moron. I think he's very conscious when he reuses one of his old melodies.

It is 32 years since he composed Make Me Rainbows and then you think he one day remembers the melody while working on Sabrina and decides to revamp it for the new movie. I highly doubt it.

As I said above the 32 years gap between two works is entirely different thing for the artist than it is for us fans. I doubt Williams spends his free hours studying his old works. Most artists don't. But who knows how the inspiration worked in this particular case. Perhaps it is Williams' individual musical language that just created the similar piece, perhaps he was performing Make Me Rainbows in a concert in mid-90's and he consciously or unconsciously composed a similar piece.

As I said above the 32 years gap between two works is entirely different thing for the artist than it is for us fans. I doubt Williams spends his free hours studying his old works. Most artists don't. But who knows how the inspiration worked in this particular case. Perhaps it is Williams' individual musical language that just created the similar piece, perhaps he was performing Make Me Rainbows in a concert in mid-90's and he consciously or unconsciously composed a similar piece.

Or perhaps he was inspired by this:

Moonbow.jpg

I find that highly unlikely. How does In the Moonlight connect with rainbows?

Ah of course yes Williams was one night, while working on the score of Sabrina, watching out of his studio window and saw this beautiful rainbow against the backdrop of LA's slowly darkening skyline and then it hit him.

Moonlight and rainbows. Love as the experience of light, as something magical and divine, as something both transporting and clarifying.

Oh Alan you sweet innocent poet, you who part the veil between the mundane and the transcendent to us all. Thank you.

The film is crappy, but the score is really good. Love both the jazzy parts and the dramatic bits that sound like leftovers from INDIANA JONES (like "Gimbel's Robbery"). It also contains one of the rare instances where Williams copies himself -- the main song from this film, "Make Me Rainbows", basically being reworked as "In the Moonlight" from SABRINA.

I wouldn't call it "rare." JW does it often enough (like any other composer).

I would argue that the (more or less) note-for-note copying of an entire melody line is rather rare in Williams' oeuvre, whether it was conscious or unconscious.

So you are trying to say that you're a composer and you probably will not be conscious of reusing a entire theme that you developped 32 years ago, so John Williams is not.

Is that right? :D

Exactly!

He didn't say: "Oh, well, I'm bored to write a new theme. Let's take my old theme, who's gonna remember it anyway, change this note here, that note there, and we have a new theme! Great! Didn't have to struggle at all!".

and anyway, the 2 themes are not THAT similar. (it's not an entire theme, it's its start)

They mostly use a common technique of extending a basic idea.

It is better than the two first releases. There is a lot of "Williams futures musical motifs" in it. Mono sound is not so disturbing, but why not doing a Stereo expanssion wich is very easy to do? It is a very good expanded title. Now I am expecting the Lalaland records release (please I would like Dracula!).

(...) why not doing a Stereo expanssion wich is very easy to do?

It would not have been very professional to do that!

If advertised correctly..why not?

LLL's Poseidon Adventure and Varese's Family plot were done (and advertised) like that.

but in this case, since there are some voice echoes i dont think it warranted the 'waste' of time and money doing it anyway.

I'm definitely going to puchase this.

I hope you still have a chance Pasi since it is sold out at the Music Box Records site and SAE seems to have sold out their copies too. You should check the MovieMusic.com store and inquire if they still have copies left.

Has EVERYONE got a shipping notice from Music Box?

I haven't got one and I started worrying..

I've checked my spam too..

I haven't got any

Oh, OK then.

I thought I was the only one.

Purchased on 16th,and still no shipping notice.

My copy of Fitzwilly has crossed La Manche and arrived today! I've listened to the film recording cues so far and although it's in mono, the sound is perfectly fine to my ears. I would not say that there is anything spectacular in the new material, but there are some nice cues not represented on the album programme featuring the organ for retired minister Arthur (e.g. Phoney Pastor) and various other shenanigans such as Sportsman's Robbery and Piano Caper / Steinway / Boogie Woogie, the latter featuring a couple of source cues played by Artie Kane on piano.

It is nice again to see the musicians listed under the transparent CD tray - a lot of familiar names there, including Williams Senior and brother Jerry in the percussion department. Listed among the violinists is Varoujan Kodjian; is that the same person who conducted the Star Wars compilation with the Utah Symphony by any chance?

I'd almost forgotten what a lovely track Fitzwilly's Date is. It would be a wonderful inclusion if it were programmed in a John Williams concert some day instead of the usual fare.

My copy of Fitzwilly has crossed La Manche and arrived today! I've listened to the film recording cues so far and although it's in mono, the sound is perfectly fine to my ears. I would not say that there is anything spectacular in the new material, but there are some nice cues not represented on the album programme featuring the organ for retired minister Arthur (e.g. Phoney Pastor) and various other shenanigans such as Sportsman's Robbery and Piano Caper / Steinway / Boogie Woogie, the latter featuring a couple of source cues played by Artie Kane on piano.

It is nice again to see the musicians listed under the transparent CD tray - a lot of familiar names there, including Williams Senior and brother Jerry in the percussion department. Listed among the violinists is Varoujan Kodjian; is that the same person who conducted the Star Wars compilation with the Utah Symphony by any chance?

I'd almost forgotten what a lovely track Fitzwilly's Date is. It would be a wonderful inclusion if it were programmed in a John Williams concert some day instead of the usual fare.

Sounds great! This will be my first proper listen of the score outside Make Me Rainbows and Overture since I missed out on the previous Varese release of the score. :)

FOR ANYONE THAT MISSED IT!!

Due to a huge demand, we decided to press a small additional units for those who missed it. We will let you know when they are available.... Let’s just hope Fitzwilly won’t steal it! ;-)

Post by Music Box Records at FSM

i wonder if the new copies will have the same "limited Collector's edition of 1000 copies" on the back.

I got an email telling me it'll be back in print even if I already bought it

Yeah I got that e-mail as well. My copy has been travelling to Finland from France a week now. Still no sign of the CD yet.

Same here... but truth be told, Portuguese mail services have become terribly slow in the last couple of years :(

I find that it also seems to be depend on the retailer. I have gotten CDs from Amazon.UK market place in less than a week (3 days must be the fastest delivery yet) but others have taken more than a week to arrive. And the Finnish postal service has been working relatively well all this time I think (knock on wood) with reliable and quick service.