Matrix Revolutions (Expanded Archival Edition) from La-La Land Records

Jay

Personally, I thought the story made sense.

I also enjoyed both Reloaded and Revolutions.

I find it interesting when someone doesn't like a movie, it seems it doesn't make sense. :)

Perhaps 'it didn't make sense' wasn't exactly the right wording, and I do actually like the movies. What I mean is that while it makes sense, it is too shallow in its explanation of that sense. You can point out that it may have been the point but I feel the first film was better at explaining things. Reloaded remains one of my favourite films, and I do enjoy Revolutions, even if it focused too long on some things and not enough on others.

Anyway, we're not here to talk about the films, we're here to talk about the score.

The alternates here are interesting. Oddly enough, I find the extended version of 'For Neo' is pretty much what I was expecting. It was a good piece too, but I'm glad they went with the one used in the film. The film versions of "The Breach" and "Moribund Mifune" are absent, but it may turn out those were film mixes of the cues with displaced elements. Some cues are also completely remixed, like Neodammerung, which sounds like the percussion and some instruments are panned differently: I could also swear the piano is slightly amplified in the beginning, bringing the piece a lot closer to the film mix.

My signed copy came today. :)

Now I gotta order Encounter At Farpoint on Monday.

20140228_150523.jpg

Looks like a signature I could easily write myself on a regular copy.

Quick query about the grouping of some of the tracks on these new release. Take #14 Niobe’s Run/The Breach*/Boom Hilda* (6:52), for example. On the composer promo/bootleg (?) that's been around for years these are three separate tracks; I've just listened to them to see if these were meant to be joined/run together. It doesn't "sound" as if that's the case.

Now, as with Reloaded, LLL has combined a number of tracks into one long track. If the following sounds as if I'm giving the non-official releases a thumbs-up, rest assured, it just sounds like it, I have a firm principle to always purchase legit releases of stuff that I've only had as an illegit release. I haven't seen the movies in ages, so does anybody know if these tracks do run together in the movie and the new LLL releases simply follow that? I sometimes have a bit of a problem adjusting to a new listening experience/track order when I've been used to a different one for years (I usually re-arrange stuff on iTunes because of that and likely will do that in this case, too). Do the three individual portions have brief pauses between one another or are they back-to-back?

Ta!

You'll have to do a bit of tweaking with the boot to make it match the quality for the complete release but it's not difficult. You'll need the boot to properly separate the following cues...

"AK, Cold and Mauser" / "Our Lit Ovens", "Mjolnir Mastication"/ "Charra Boiled", "The Logos Location" / "It's Crazy Zee", "Das Banegold" / "The Bane Revelation", "Why, Mr. Anderson?" / "Spirit Of The Universe".

How the others play out in running into each other is right. IE: "Bridge Of Immortality" / "For Neo" / "Navras".

Part of me thinks "Niobe's Run / The Breach" needs to be properly separated but towards the end of "Niobe's Run" there's so much sfx from the sentinels it's hard to tell. The gap between "The Breach" and "Boom Hilda" needs to be closed, basically have "Boom Hilda" overlap the last hit from "The Breach". Also "Mjolnir Mastication" needs to be joined on the last note hit of "Die Brünett Walküre" since that's it is in the film. "Mjolnir Mastication" does NOT run into "Charra Broiled" like that.

That's just if you're nit picky like I am for wanting proper presentation of the cues like how they are in the film. Overall it's a good listening experience if you don't mess with this sorta thing.

Oh and you need to mix "Time's Up" on the very last note build up from "The Road To Hell".

No worries.

"Das Banegold" and "The Bane Revelation" in the film are DEFINITELY separate tracks. The end of "Das Banegold" ends after Maggie is killed by Bane. "The Bane Revelation" starts up directly after that with Neo and Trinity talking when Neo starts to say, "I know I'm supposed to go". There is enough gap though that they are separate and not joined like it is on the album.

Nah, you have every right. It's just that for me those kind of things play really little role. I want the album to play well on its own, it's rare that I need to re-arrange anything (in case of Batman Forever was the last time, I think). But, if I am to be honest, we all get anal at one point or another. No matter how you slice it, the CD presentation of a film score is an ever open subject.

Karol

Got my copy today. The first thing I noticed the mastering is a lot gentler this time. Listening to the upfront hot mix of the original album was an equivalent of getting your face hit with a brick. Hence, the music seemed heavier to digest. God bless Mike Matessino!

Karol

Yeah, the album's compression is quite bad. It's also nice hearing some of those differences between the mixes: Neodammerung sounds like it does in the film, for instance (minus the louder pianos).

I really like film version of The Trainman Cometh. But the original version is even better.

Karol - who listened to this set four times now - some of the best film scoring of 21st Century

I really like film version of The Trainman Cometh. But the original version is even better.

Karol - who listened to this set four times now - some of the best film scoring of 21st Century

Well The Matrix is the best of the three but the LLL release for Revolutions is great!

It's a pity that Varèse didn't do a proper release for The Matrix...

Listening to the upfront hot mix of the original album was an equivalent of getting your face hit with a brick.

Karol

That would be about the only reason i would re-invest. NEODAEMMERUNG sounded flat-out terrible whenever it hit my iPod, even worse than today's stuff like IRON MAN 3 and such.

Well The Matrix is the best of the three but the LLL release for Revolutions is great!

Naturally, The Matrix would be the best as it set up a lot of the motifs used in the other two films. I always thought it a good idea that Don Davis reprised his unused ending of 'He is the One Alright' in Revolutions, though.

Shame Varese wouldn't let go of The Matrix. It would have been interesting to see how LLL would have done it, and we would have at least had all the music used in the film.

Listening to the upfront hot mix of the original album was an equivalent of getting your face hit with a brick.

Karol

That would be about the only reason i would re-invest. NEODAEMMERUNG sounded flat-out terrible whenever it hit my iPod, even worse than today's stuff like IRON MAN 3 and such.

The original album contains all the essential highlights, that's true. But it's nice too have the score "breathe a little". You actually need some more anonymous underscore to smooth things down a little here and there. And I really do like some more horrorish agent Smith music from film's first half and Hell club stuff. It feels that there is some sense of buildup to big showpieces. Unlike the old album which assaults you for its whole running time.

Yeah, no matter how you slice it, this album is a winner.

Karol

In the words of Neo: Whoa!

I just found out something interesting. In the film the first 1:31 for "The Trainman Cometh" it uses the original version. Then about that 1:31 mark it brings in the revised piece (with Juno Reactor).

So one could use either version of the cue. I'm gonna go back and do a film edit of the cue.

Naturally, The Matrix would be the best as it set up a lot of the motifs used in the other two films. I always thought it a good idea that Don Davis reprised his unused ending of 'He is the One Alright' in Revolutions, though.

Shame Varese wouldn't let go of The Matrix. It would have been interesting to see how LLL would have done it, and we would have at least had all the music used in the film.

I bet the track titles wouldn't be as corny as the Deluxe Edition either. I'd be surprised if it was actually from Davis' cue sheet.

Back to Revolutions I appreciate the feedback on it's expanded release since it won't be an instant purchase for me.

I bet the track titles wouldn't be as corny as the Deluxe Edition either. I'd be surprised if it was actually from Davis' cue sheet.

Hate to burst your bubble but the cue titles for The Matrix (D.E.) are their true titles....

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=20819&p=759117

Also the cue titles for Reloaded AND Revolutions are their true title names.

I believe MV came out once and said that they will always go by what the original cue sheet lists if a cue has a title.

• 1 month later...

A friend of mine thinks Davis uses the Superman march rhythm intentionally as a reference, specifically for the scene where Neo flies at lightning speed to catch Trinity falling from the building. I still think it was all a coincidence, but since I don't remember the movies anymore, what do you guys think?

• 1 year later...

I saw Jay's spreadsheet for Reloaded, but haven't found a breakdown of Revolutions. This release has all of the score tracks from the OST and the promos/boots, right?

One or two of the tracks are different. I think there was one for certain that the promo has that this set does not.

EDIT: Think the track that's not on the promo was Die Brünette Walküre.

• 6 years later...

Back in stock this April!! 

And in a shocking twist, we have 2 long out of print titles we discontinued before the end of their Limited Edition run making a beyond the grave appearance. Due to our contractual obligations with WMG, we have to buy the remaining the stock (1000 UNITS EACH). It's the final pressings of...

THE MATRIX RELOADED EXPANDED ARCHIVAL COLLECTION
THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS EXPANDED ARCHIVAL COLLECTION

We hope to have these back in stock sometime in April.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=150515&forumID=1&archive=0

Great news I've disappointed to have missed them and now I'll finally be able to get them both. If only Warner was willing to let LLL reissue Batman Forever and why not simply release Batman & Robin too it would be so great

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...