Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (Rian Johnson 2017)

Dixon Hill

Just out of it. 

Initial reaction is that, yeah, it didn’t need to be as long and the Finn and Rose story does sag a little but there are some nice moments. 

Having seen it straight after TFA in the theatre this evening I can say that I think TLJ is what TFA needed to be and should have been. But maybe for the non hardcore TFA needed to exist to ease them back into the franchise. 

This is definitely feels like the 8th movie in the saga (where TFA tried to be the 4th). I think it bridges all three trilogies. I think that also shines through in JW’s score.

Anyway, I better go to bed because I’m seeing the film again in 4 hours...

6 hours ago, DigitalfreakNYC said:

Not remotely.

Not only do they use the same plot, but whatever was not derived from the original Star Wars (What "new hope"?) was taken from earlier drafts of the screenplay and whatever wasn't taken from there was taken from bits of Empire, Jedi and their respective screenplay drafts: Knights of Ren? Han Solo dying? Luke going into exile? Leia continuing to lead the rebellion? all pre-existing ideas. The narrative structure isn't entirely the same, but very close as well: opening action sequence, long first act peppered with action and a late introduction to the protagonist, etc...

There are even recreated shots from the original Star Wars, not to mention the very choice to shoot it on 35mm. Abrams attempt to slow down his usually quick camerawork to evoke the cinematography of the original is also very clear.

Hell, it even goes into the score: JJ specifically  asked Williams to connect to "the earlier films" and they even used a similarly-sized orchestra as in the original.

Sometimes its necessary to remake a film in order to reboot a series that is all but dead, but here where they are numbered episodes and people will be showing the older episodes to their kids, as well, its not going to make a very compelling overarching narrative, because the episode immediately preceding The Force Awakens is also heavily derivative of the original Star Wars.

46 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

What's wrong with wax?

Try saying that multiple times as fast as you can.

Films look better when it doesn’t look as if the camera lense was coated in Vaseline!

25 minutes ago, Fargo said:

DigitalFreak is troll confirmed?

You're delusional. And considering you've been here for a few months and I've been here since 2002, I'd watch your mouth.

TFA is LIGHT YEARS better than TLJ...and far more entertaining.  I'm more excited to see TFA today during the double-feature than I am about TLJ. 

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

TLJ takes plenty from TESB, but its not an exact copy like TFA.

TLJ is mostly ESB combined with ROTJ, with some of the sequences from those two films moved around a bit, along with some new stuff sprinkled throughout.

That being said, yeah, it doesn't feel as much a rehash as TFA did.

14 minutes ago, DigitalfreakNYC said:

You're delusional. And considering you've been here for a few months and I've been here since 2002, I'd watch your mouth.

TFA is LIGHT YEARS better than TLJ...and far more entertaining.  I'm more excited to see TFA today during the double-feature than I am about TLJ. 

So you've been here for 15 years. And make 23 posts per year on average. Do all those only happen when new SW movies are released? haha

Yeah.  I like my films...enjoyable.  Call me crazy.

But I also feel like they don't make original films any more at all.  So I'll take a creative, clever and fully enjoyable rehash over the crap ideas they come up with.

So...I'm seeing this tonight. And judging by the comments here, I think it's safe to assume this was a more successful SW venture than TFA?

2 minutes ago, KK said:

So...I'm seeing this tonight. And judging by the comments here, I think it's safe to assume this was a more successful SW venture than TFA?

Clearly it depends on who you ask.

Not nearly as successful, IMHO.  If  you like your SW movies without lightsaber or space battles, enjoy your characters behaving in ways they never have before and a director/story that simply mind****s you for 2 1/2 hours, have at it.  This is the movie for you.

Wut.

I thought it was great. Sure, the actual science behind the film was pretty shaky, and the ending was rather confusing, but I thought it was an intense, well-made sci-fi flick.

But hey, to each his own opinion.

36 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

How?

http://time.com/3572988/interstellar-science-fact-check/

Don't get me wrong, I love the movie (and its score, for that matter), its just that you can tell Nolan and co. took a few liberties when it came to the science behind the film, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's still a great film!

So the article concludes that the answer to the question "does our current limited scientific perspective allow the fiction of the film a degree of plausibility?" is a resounding maybe.  Great, necessary reporting by Time, there....