What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Ready Player One

Lighthearted and fun action/adventure film where Spielberg shows he can still outdo just about anyone when it comes to delivering an special effects spectacle.

Despite the incredible amount of references and nods to old films, tv series, games etc etc from yesteryear there is a surprisingly current feel to the movie. Probably because what we mostly do online is reference old films, TV series, games etc etc...

The film doesnt carry any kind of pretentious massage with it, but it does somehow ring true when it talks about people being obsessed with The Oasis to the extent that they completely ignore the real world (which, in every shot in this film looks like a dreary, unkempt shithole.)

The small cats of relatively unknown actors do well. Sheridan is right as the films central geek (and has a slight, but noticeable resemblance to Spielberg in his 20's). Ben Mendelssohn is a hoot to watch as the films baddie. 

I watched this entire film either with a big grin on my face or an exclamation of "Ha!"  

Fun!

This is an old movie.  Not a new film

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Richard said:

Bollocks, to that. It's less than 5 months since its release.

What denotes an "older" film, anyway?

I agree. I think there should be one thread. Its stupid because no one can definitively define new. I was being didactic. 

23 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Having a different opinion about a film doesnt mean there's something wrong with a person, Joe.

Thank you!

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Jay just keeps these two going so that he can lecture people for putting stuff in the wrong thread. My theory, anyway.

I have literally not once, not a single time ever, said anything to anyone about posting about a film in one Last Watched thread vs the other. 

Only JoeinAR complains about that.

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

Thank you!

I have literally not once, not a single time ever, said anything to anyone about posting about a film in one Last Watched thread vs the other. 

Only JoeinAR complains about that.

Liar

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

"Didactic". Ooooh! Get you, tiger.

Its on my vocabulary calendar!

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

If you didn't like Jurassic Park you won't like Ready Player One, I guess. 

Its that kinda Spielberg.

Hm. I think what I'd criticise about those two is quite different. Although both probably have a much stronger first than second half. But I haven't read RPO, and part of what always bothered me about JP was how weak the book's strong bits are in the film.

Jurassic Park is a beloved dino thriller that had a major impact on the culture and is iconic.

Ready Player One is a CGI monstrosity no one will remember in a couple years, if they even know what it is now.

It's THAT kind of Spielberg.

- Formerly E.T.&Elliott4Ever, who just saved E.T. and the Green Planet for a dearly missed Steven Spielberg

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

As someone who loves the boring historical Spielberg flicks I just wish he’d stop trying to make the family action movies.  Yes that includes Indy 5.

As someone who loves the boring historical Spielberg flicks I like his family action movies

53 minutes ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

Ready Player One is a CGI monstrosity no one will remember in a couple years, if they even know what it is now.

The slobbering love affair some people here have with RP1 baffles me. Any other director would have brought similar results, minus the blue and pink colour scheme reminiscent of AI.

3 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

The slobbering love affair some people here have with RP1 baffles me. Any other director would have brought similar results, minus the blue and pink colour scheme reminiscent of AI.

That color scheme makes the film!

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

As someone who loves the boring historical Spielberg flicks I just wish he’d stop trying to make the family action movies.  Yes that includes Indy 5.

I agree ... but I don't want his historical movies either. 

Is it? What you want to watch is usually what you want to make (if you are a director). I'm pretty sure Spielberg never showed his kids the movies that he didn't morally approve of.

4 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

It's THAT kind of Spielberg.

The marketing certainly makes it seem that way.

32 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But watching a film is a passive experience compared to making a movie happen.

That is true, but creativity is an outlet of who you are and how you see things. For instance, Tarantino's style of making movies emerged from the movies he watched and loved as a 'passive' viewer. It's called 'influence'. If I were to suddenly make movies, they too would intentionally or unconsciously reflect what I watched and loved as a passive viewer. I don't think there is an ocean between 'passive' and 'active' interest.

On 8/27/2018 at 2:28 PM, JoeinAR said:

I agree. I think there should be one thread. Its stupid because no one can definitively define new. I was being didactic. 

The needless splitting of threads because one geezer who never fucking posts anyway complained was utterly pointless and stupid. The original film thread here was the greatest thread on JWFan.

On 8/28/2018 at 7:08 AM, Stefancos said:

He admitted to that long ago.

Didn't fatherhood change you, Alex?

As far as artistic sensibilities go, no experience changed Spielberg more than Schindler's List. And it changed John Williams too. They were both really entertaining filmmakers prior to that film. Schindler's greatly muffled out each artist's lighter touch.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

The needless splitting of threads because one geezer who never fucking posts anyway complained was utterly pointless and stupid. The original film thread here was the greatest thread on JWFan.

I vote for combining them or starting a new thread.  I really do.  I've always thought the split was confusing and didn't actually help anyone.

My personal preference would be for these conglomerate threads to not exist, and for separate threads to exist for any movie/TV show/book/score that people want to talk about.  And if nobody else wants to talk about it, the thread just disappears down the list, until some bozo rewatches Sausage Party and revives the old thread with their questions or comments.