The MCU - Marvel Cinematic Universe

Jay

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Apparently Echo is streaming now, has anybody watched?

It's not streaming until 9 PM here.

Halfway through Ep. 2 of Echo.

There a really cool action scene in a long take in the first episode.

Alaqua Cox is great, especially in the action scenes. Great physicality. The supporting cast does a nice job as well.

It's a bit light on story thus far. Though the representation of the Native Americans is fantastic imo. Feels really authentic.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like she was in Blockers a few years ago - besides that, I’ve heard her voice on Bojack Horseman.  A nonentity to me, I guess!

8 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

What do you know her from? I’m unfamiliar but I was a fan of Ayo based on her work on The Bear…

I've seen her in the movies Blockers and The Package, but she is most impressive in Miracle Workers

Ayo is great too, I've seen her in the movie Shithouse and Bottoms and the shows History of the World Part II and Black Mirror (and a voice on Big Mouth).  I haven't seen The Bear.

• 2 weeks later...

Some thoughts:

• Way too little Wolverine in this trailer. I get that the movie only comes in July and they're withholding Wolvie's appearance for maximum impact, but... This is a Super Bowl trailer, and there's no better place than Super Bowl for a buzzy Wolverine shot.
  • I imagine that they are going to explain what the TVA is for the people who didn't see Loki. Disney saw with The Marvels that you can't just bring streaming characters for the theaters with no explanation.

I also wonder if the "everyone deserves a happy ending" tagline means that this movie will be kinda like an ending for Reynolds' Deadpool, similar to Guardians 3. On one hand, he's a very popular character, but on the other I'm not sure if Disney would want an R-Rated character (or two, counting Wolvie) alongside their more family friendly Avengers.

7 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I also wonder if the "everyone deserves a happy ending" tagline means that this movie will be kinda like an ending for Reynolds' Deadpool, similar to Guardians 3.

"happy ending" has another meaning here...

Has it been known that Deadpool 3 would be called "Deadpool and Wolverine" for a while, or did we just learn this in the trailer?

Thanks, that's what I thought. Marvel must be more desperate than I thought. They really need this one to be a hit. 

Trailer's OK (though surprisingly Red Band).

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Thanks, that's what I thought. Marvel must be more desperate than I thought. They really need this one to be a hit. 

The latter statement seems pretty true, but work on this film began quite a while before Marvel had a string of misses. I don't think the Deadpool/Wolverine team up was born out of desperation in any way, but simple good business sense (and also it seems like Ryan Reynolds was the primary impetus and person pushing for Hugh Jackman to come back to the role again...he's been setting it up for at least half a decade lol!)

Yavar

18 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The latter statement seems pretty true, but work on this film began quite a while before Marvel had a string of misses. I don't think the Deadpool/Wolverine team up was born out of desperation in any way, but simple good business sense (and also it seems like Ryan Reynolds was the primary impetus and person pushing for Hugh Jackman to come back to the role again...he's been setting it up for at least half a decade lol!)

Yeah, I'm not referring to the team-up. The team up is expected, appropriate and cool.

I'm more referring to the title, I just think that Marvel is REALLY are counting on this film to reverse their fortunes, and considering Wolverine's popularity, slapping his name on the title seems like a good way to do that.  Given the MCU's recent downturn, it just can't help but feel a little bit pandering and desperate to me. They sort of did the opposite with The Marvels...given that Captain Marvel, as a character, wasn't exactly the best received among fans, they retitled the sequel and turned it into a team up.

It is at least somewhat ironic that Disney is relying on two FOX-era X-Men characters to save them.

Yeah I don’t buy that the title is any sort of sign of desperation. It’s just an appropriate title.

2 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I'd probably see if differently if everything they're doing didn't seem so desperate (because, well, they are).

Desperate will be bringing back RDJ.

20 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Oh, make no mistake. They will. 

The Rey movie's coming too.

And so are the Star Wars expansions...

26 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Oh, make no mistake. They will. 

Maybe for like a specific event movie/limited series. They’re never resurrecting RDJ’s Iron Man to the main continuity.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

The Rey movie's coming too.

Well the Rey movie is de facto going to be Episode X (my sources tell me it's actually already been filmed).

But you bring up a good point, Disney said TROS was the last chapter in the "Skywalker Saga" when they were much more confident about the future of Star Wars. Now they're not, so they're backing up on that. I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if they actually and flat out call the Rey movie Episode X. In fact, I'm predicting right now they will do just that.

6 minutes ago, A. A. Ron said:

Maybe for like a specific event movie/limited series. They’re never resurrecting RDJ’s Iron Man to the main continuity.

You're probably right, but I think that's a distinction without a difference. They'll probably just multiverse him in there. Doesn't matter. They'd be doing it because people aren't connecting with the new heroes, so they'll just go back to what worked to try to get people excited (ala that last "The Marvels" trailer).  Doesn't really matter how they do it.

Like concluding the "Skywalker Saga" with Star Wars, Marvel killed Tony Stark off when they thought they were in a much stronger position going forward. 

23 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

Well the Rey movie is de facto going to be Episode X (my sources tell me it's actually already been filmed).

Good! Maybe all that extra time in post will result in a decent film for once!

23 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

But you bring up a good point, Disney said TROS was the last chapter in the "Skywalker Saga" when they were much more confident about the future of Star Wars. Now they're not, so they're backing up on that. I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if they actually and flat out call the Rey movie Episode X. In fact, I'm predicting right now they will do just that.

Maybe it has more to do with my disdain for Lucasfilm these days, but I can completely buy this.

It IS kind of funny to say "People aren't connecting with the new Star Wars so we'll save it by going back to... The heroine from the new Star Wars."

We got Tony Stark over the course of 10 years and eight movies. (Right?) As opposed to the "new" cast of Star Wars that we only got over 4 years. I think it makes more sense to bring back to ST cast than it did to bring back the OT cast. (And it made total sense to bring back to OT cast!)

Marvel's a weird bird in some respects. On the one hand when they were firing on all cylinders they were using beloved characters with decades of history. On the other hand almost nobody had ever heard of them.

So the secret sauce can't be that the general audiences had a love for these characters (that they had never heard of). Unless (and I'm giving us nerds more credit than I usually do) maybe we're the tipping point. Maybe if none of US care about The Eternals then sure as hell nobody normal will either?

14 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

We got Tony Stark over the course of 10 years and eight movies. (Right?)

12 years, 10 movies

1. Iron Man '08
  2. Incredible Hulk '08
  3. Iron Man 2 '10
  4. Avengers '12
  5. Iron Man 3 '13
  6. Avengers 2 '15
  7. Civil War '16
  8. Spider-man Homecoming '17
  9. Avengers 3 '18
  10. Avengers 4 '19

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

12 years, 10 movies

1. Iron Man '08
  2. Incredible Hulk '08
  3. Iron Man 2 '10
  4. Avengers '12
  5. Iron Man 3 '13
  6. Avengers 2 '15
  7. Civil War '16
  8. Spider-man Homecoming '17
  9. Avengers 3 '18
  10. Avengers 4 '19

Thanks!

19-9 = 11. And I didn't count The Incredible Hulk. (Somehow I miscounted Civil War and Spider-Man.)

1 hour ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

I wouldn't be surprised, at all, if they actually and flat out call the Rey movie Episode X. In fact, I'm predicting right now they will do just that.

They should just go full tilt and call it "Rey".

image.gif

15 minutes ago, igger6 said:

this is what we're left with: a cynical, sophomoric, hyperviolent middle finger of a movie that leans into everything the great Marvel movies managed to avoid for so long.  And if you're a kid who loves superheroes, that's your Marvel option for the year

AND your dad is saying "No."

My boy was sick a few weeks back and he binged MCU and early Pixar. I'd kind of forgotten how good both of those things are. (Toy Story 2 is HILARIOUS.)

And I discovered that I still LOVE Thor: The Dark World.

Narratively Captain America 1 is still terrific. I am the target audience for a re-tread of The Rocketeer. Visually? Parts of it look like Sky Captain. Although the final fights on the Hydra plane are AMAAAAZING.

@Yavar Moradi you mentioned Moon Knight. Hawkeye is my go-to for "Good MCU TV". But Moon Knight was terrific. And I've almost entirely forgotten it. Shang-Chi is kind of the same way.

Maybe I don't even know what I want from the MCU anymore. So good luck finding THAT, Feige.

2 hours ago, igger6 said:

The Deadpool & Wolverine trailer made me sad.  I wasn't a child when the MCU was in its glory days, but I thrilled vicariously to the fact that movies for 9–12-year-olds were having such an incredible run—movies that barely earned their PG-13 ratings but delighted in adventure and heroism without being stuffy or portentous.  Marvel truly had the magic formula for a long, long time.  Now, with the MCU having overstayed its welcome, devalued its brand through overexposure, and misread fan appetites in equal measure over the past five years, this is what we're left with: a cynical, sophomoric, hyperviolent middle finger of a movie that leans into everything the great Marvel movies managed to avoid for so long.  And if you're a kid who loves superheroes, that's your Marvel option for the year.  A once-great kid-movie empire is behaving like the kid in middle school who can't wait to show off the dirty books in his locker.

If there's a silver lining, it's that Endgame was long enough ago—and the intervening movies and TV shows so disparate and haphazard—that they've probably lost most of the kids by now, and the only people lining up for this will be Fox-era nostalgics and frat boys.  I just remember a time when Marvel didn't have to court that audience because they had a four-quadrant formula that still managed to feel fresh almost every time.

When I was eight years old, I loved Wolverine, and I didn't need or want Logan levels of violence to do so, much less Logan levels of violence delivered with a nihilistic smirk and a side of dick jokes.  I hope this flops and leads Feige to some soul-searching, but I'm not optimistic.

Agree with every word you said.

Given their recent successes, I don't think the MCU is reaching kids anymore, more like people who were kids when stuff like the pre-Holland Spiderman, the Fox Men or the first two GOTG was released. They are banking on past glories, while the stuff they're trying to hype as "the next generation" isn't working out.

Kinda like if fans rejected Picard and the crew of TNG and the only Trek hits during the late 80s/90s were stuff starring TOS actors... lol

22 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

My boy was sick a few weeks back and he binged MCU and early Pixar. I'd kind of forgotten how good both of those things are. (Toy Story 2 is HILARIOUS.)

And I discovered that I still LOVE Thor: The Dark World.

I guess I'll have to revisit that because I respect your taste. I do remember really liking Hiddleston in it, and really being disappointed by Eccleston's villain character. Agreed on early Pixar though. Until they got to Cars, they just COULD NOT MISS.

23 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Narratively Captain America 1 is still terrific. I am the target audience for a re-tread of The Rocketeer. Visually? Parts of it look like Sky Captain. Although the final fights on the Hydra plane are AMAAAAZING.

For me the messy heavy-CGI third act kinda lost me, similarly to Shang-Chi. But I do still have warm feelings towards the first Captain America, even if The Winter Soldier outclassed it in almost every way IMO.

24 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

@Yavar Moradi you mentioned Moon Knight. Hawkeye is my go-to for "Good MCU TV". But Moon Knight was terrific. And I've almost entirely forgotten it. Shang-Chi is kind of the same way.

Even though I didn't mention it in my list, I actually quite enjoyed Hawkeye. It just struck me as a little less fresh/unique compared with the rest. But it was arguably the most consistent of all the Phase 4 shows, even if it didn't hit the highs of Loki or WandaVision.

Glad you liked Moon Knight as much as I did! Did you ever try Ms. Marvel?

Yavar

20 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I guess I'll have to revisit that because I respect your taste. I do remember really liking Hiddleston in it, and really being disappointed by Eccleston's villain character. Agreed on early Pixar though. Until they got to Cars, they just COULD NOT MISS.

Thank you! Fair warning: I am aware I am in a minority on this film. But this was the first film where Hiddleston blew me away. And he and Hemsworth are having so much fun together. It has the best Asgard and it feels Viking and ancient. I love Hopkins in this. I concede the gift of when Thor 3 takes aim at a couple of my favorite parts that it skewers them perfectly. (The funeral and Loki's "death" scene. Right down to the music.)

But the villain is pointless (sorry, Doctor) and the finale, while fun, makes NO sense.

26 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

even if The Winter Soldier outclassed it in almost every way IMO.

It did. But First Avenger was the movie I wanted to see, if you see what I mean. I concede that WS is an amazing film. It's so good that you scratch your head at the (also) dumb finale with the helicarriers because you've forgotten that you're watching a comic book movie. And of course this is the film that gives you the last scene of Endgame. It's been a long, long time.

39 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Even though I didn't mention it in my list, I actually quite enjoyed Hawkeye. It just struck me as a little less fresh/unique compared with the rest. But it was arguably the most consistent of all the Phase 4 shows, even if it didn't hit the highs of Loki or WandaVision.

For me, that was it's secret. I mean, arguably some of the highest highs were in Falcon and the Winter Soldier. But it had some of the lowest lows.

41 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Glad you liked Moon Knight as much as I did! Did you ever try Ms. Marvel?

Started it, never finished it. Same with Secret Invasion. So at some point I should finish those and watch Echo. (I guess.)

I thought She-Hulk was under-rated just because I thought Tatiana Maslany was wonderful. After that I probably forgave it a lot.