The DCU - DC Universe

Jay

11 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I typically like Zimmer, and I consider it maybe the "best part" of the Batman v Superman score, but man was it jarring hearing it against the somewhat more restrained-looking trailer for WW.

That theme just didn't fit the character very well, as much as I do enjoy it. Wonder Woman's theme (at least to me anyway) should sound a bit more "mythological or epic" sounding, not with an electric cello.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, mstrox said:

Any hint of Zimmer's obnoxious buzzsaw-against-metal theme for Wonder Woman in what we've heard so far?

It apparently shows up about 3 or 4 times in the score.

Wonder Woman: 95% at Rotten Tomatoes:

It's a film that not only improves upon many of the seemingly built-in shortcomings of superhero movies, but also mixes smarts, sentiment and adrenaline in the best Hollywood style.

It gives us the kind of hero a lot of us fell in love with back in those 12-cent days of truth, justice and the American way - and the kind of movie we haven't seen since Christopher Reeve first flew into our lives.

Wonder Woman is smart, slick, and satisfying in all of the ways superhero films ought to be.

Gadot was mostly one-dimensional and stoic in her 20 minutes of screen time in Batman v Superman, but here she is lively and exudes a sense of wonder.

Praise be, does Wonder Woman ever kick ass.

Strong, smart, sexy and downright super, this is the superhero blockbuster of the summer you need to see.

What Patty Jenkins is able to do with all of that is ground it in emotion and character, to make audiences smile and walk out of the theater feeling uplifted rather than exhausted. It's the movie we've been waiting for. Trust me.

Rotten Tomatoes: 96% (52 reviews counted)

The more reviews that are coming in, the higher the score is getting. 

It seems even Stefancos has lost his faith in Snyder.

Whedon shooting a few more scenes in the style of JL isn't going to rescue the movie. 

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Why do people keep bringing up RT scores, anyway?

I mean, Cremers, if RT is to be believed, Wonder Woman is better than Blade Runner. Do you consider that a possibility?

The way the internet works is:

Does RT reflect your wishes/opinions/thoughts/hopes/dreams/sex fantasies? Then RT is the greatest thing ever and it's word is final. Final I tells ya!!!

Does RT conflict with your wishes/opinions/thoughts/hopes/dreams/sex fantasies? Then RT is the worst thing ever and it's word is meaningless! Meaningless I tells ya!!!

39 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Nah, it sucks either way.

Ultimately, what should matter is your opinion, and your opinion only! Do you want to watch the film? Do you think it could be good? You only need to answer these two questions to decide for yourself if you should watch it or not. End of story. No need to bring up RT ratings, or IMDB ratings, or Twitter reactions or whatever!

Sounds like Bilbo Skywalker's second law applies to you.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

*Metacritic accuracy = 100%

*Rottentomatoes accuracy = 1%

*Statistics supplied by Metacritic

Is there a certain film you are referring to with that given statistic?

32 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Not really, because sometimes, the RT ratings align with my opinion on some films. Doesn't mean I think it's meaningful.

That's because, like you said, it's only "sometimes" that RT aligns with your opinion. 'Sometimes' indicates 'not often'. 

It's only meaningful when you feel that you can rely on it as an indicator or a useful tool. 'Sometimes' is not enough to trust it.

I don't think critics are especially useful in aggregate.  There definitely are specific critics that I've been reading for years who can convince me to see a movie I wouldn't otherwise have seen or in rarer cases warn me off a movie I was only slightly interested in in the first place.  No critic has ever kept me from seeing a movie I was determined to see so I could have my own opinion.

I generally read critics because I like their writing and I want to see their reaction to something I've already seen though.

7 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I'm seeing an nuclear explosion. Isn't that supposed to turn someone into a superhero or Godzilla or something?

Nuclear explosion? Perhaps. But a post from Alex Cremers can truly destroy you.

Karol

4 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

I fear that a lot of critics are giving it a positive rating to avoid being called sexist. Hopefully that's not the case.

Is that why Ghostbusters 2016 got away with a decent RT rating? Mind you I got a mild chuckle from it.

1 minute ago, JohnSolo said:

Sadly, I actually think that might be the reason why critics are raving over it.

Every single critic who reviewed this movie doesn't really like it?  They're just making sure people think they're progressive?  That is laughably ridiculous.  Could it be that (a) there are many critics who rightfully want to see more major Hollywood blockbusters starring women and (b) they're really happy to see one and that it's actually good?  Yes.  Yes, it could be.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Every single critic who reviewed this movie doesn't really like it?  They're just making sure people think they're progressive?  That is laughably ridiculous.  Could it be that (a) there are many critics who rightfully want to see more major Hollywood blockbusters starring women and (b) they're really happy to see one and that it's actually good?  Yes.  Yes, it could be.

That's a good point. But I hope that is simply a fun film. All it needs to be really.

Karol

It just always bothers me when people treat critics like some sort of corrupt, dishonest, amorphous mass.  It's a bunch of individuals of many different backgrounds who don't get paid all that much but love writing about movies and are lucky enough to get paid at all for doing it.  There's no conspiracy!