Star Trek is better than everything

Unlucky Bastard

I was wondering what would happen to this once she won her Oscar. It was going to potentially be a series, and I’m guessing the switch to a movie is a result of her new opportunities and not wanting the time commitment to a series.

That’s okay by me. I think many of these 10 episode stories (not just Trek) are padded out to get to the finale, when they could’ve been tightly told as a 2 or 3 hour movie event.  

6 hours ago, Andy said:

That’s okay by me. I think many of these 10 episode stories (not just Trek) are padded out to get to the finale, when they could’ve been tightly told as a 2 or 3 hour movie event.  

This series of Picard, good/better though a lot of it has been, definitely could. It would have made a pretty decent movie had they compressed a load of the stuff in the nebula at the start (which basically didn't go anywhere, plot wise). Still, looking forward to the finale on Friday.

2 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Unavailable here

And here... good job they are so carefully protecting their intellectual copyright by not letting us foreigners see it. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't watch all 9 minutes of it but from what I saw I can say that the wrongness reminded me of this one here:

I posted a Star Wars related video in a Star Trek thread. On May 4th. I'm sorry.

36 minutes ago, Dave said:

I didn't watch all 9 minutes of it but from what I saw I can say that the wrongness reminded me of this one here:

I posted a Star Wars related video in a Star Trek thread. On May 4th. I'm sorry.

That's... not horrible!

What character would you say most embodies the ethos of Star Trek?  Kirk?  Spock?  Picard?  Riker?  Someone else??

16 hours ago, karelm said:

What character would you say most embodies the ethos of Star Trek?  Kirk?  Spock?  Picard?  Riker?  Someone else??

Bones. He's drawn to space, and he longs to be with his "family", but he's scared of what's out there, and quite rightly so.

He's also my favourite character in all of Star Trek, and a major reason why I chose the career that I did.

On 05/05/2023 at 5:01 AM, Dave said:

0:07 of that is Rose's theme from TLJ, which many have insisted is an intentional modulating of the Force theme in a major key. Here's the evidence we were right!

7 hours ago, Docteur Qui said:

0:07 of that is Rose's theme from TLJ, which many have insisted is an intentional modulating of the Force theme in a major key. Here's the evidence we were right!

It's... Close.

On 08/05/2023 at 6:17 AM, Docteur Qui said:

which many have insisted is an intentional modulating of the Force theme in a major key.

well lots of stuff is based in the Force theme

On 07/05/2023 at 11:17 PM, Docteur Qui said:

Thus we can obviously come to the conclusion that Rose is the Force.  With evidence like this, no other interpretation makes sense.

Further, when you rearrange the letters in Force, and combine F with C to make S (as in tiers/ranking, S, A, B, C, D, F), you get...  Rose!

Really, you'd have to be an utter idiot not to see it!

/j

Yesterday I've finally finished The Animated Series... and it's way more solid than TOS :lol:, it gave me that bittersweet feeling when ending a good series, "I want more, but I know I shouldn't", so I did the natural thing and went to The Motion Picture straight after. I heard so many bad things about this movie... that I was surprised that I liked quite a bit, it's TOS with a budget, budget that they made sure we saw in detail with a lot of reaction shots in the middle, even the "satellite encounters alien tech and returns... with a vengeance" was already a plot in the series and the ending is basically just how every episode ends. They all act like they never stopped filming the show.

Next one is Wrath of Khan, It was the only pre-2009 Star Trek thing I had watched before I started going through "everything", so rewatching it will be a true Hero Journey for me, and will probably make a bit more sense.

Excellent. Which version of TMP did you watch?

TWOK might make a little less sense. It really doesn't require you to have seen Space Seed, and only barely requires that you know TOS. If you know Spock is the guy with the ears, you're probably good.

21 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Yesterday I've finally finished The Animated Series... and it's way more solid than TOS :lol:, it gave me that bittersweet feeling when ending a good series, "I want more, but I know I shouldn't", so I did the natural thing and went to The Motion Picture straight after. I heard so many bad things about this movie... that I was surprised that I liked quite a bit, it's TOS with a budget, budget that they made sure we saw in detail with a lot of reaction shots in the middle, even the "satellite encounters alien tech and returns... with a vengeance" was already a plot in the series and the ending is basically just how every episode ends. They all act like they never stopped filming the show.

Next one is Wrath of Khan, It was the only pre-2009 Star Trek thing I had watched before I started going through "everything", so rewatching it will be a true Hero Journey for me, and will probably make a bit more sense.

I LOVE TMP.  It is clearly heavily indebted to 2001 which isn't a bad thing.  Similarly, the pacing, hours of flying through an abstract experience with weird reactions and fantastic music plus the whole AI achieving consciousness plot.  I don't think TMP is a masterpiece, but it is loveable.  I actually love it and TWOK equally because they both represent the yin and yang of TOS.  It had very cerebral moments full of awe and wonder and great action/adventure too while always focused on deep and enchanting characters.  With TMP, the biggest character arch is with Spock who starts off nearly fully embracing pure logic.  But he has doubts turning away Kolinahr.  He finds V'ger to be a perfect example of pure logic and sheds a tear, perhaps his first ever, in realizing what all V'ger lacks even though having achieved pure logic.  Is this all there is?  Am I nothing more?  So then seeks out his creator to try to understand why do I exist.  TMP is Star Trek at its headiest and one of the great ST scores ever.  

2 minutes ago, karelm said:

Similarly, the pacing, hours* of flying through an abstract experience with weird reactions and fantastic music plus the whole AI achieving consciousness plot.

* Exaggerated for effect.

3 minutes ago, karelm said:

I actually love it and TWOK equally because they both represent the yin and yang of TOS.

Kudos. I've been saying the same thing for years.

3 minutes ago, karelm said:

TMP is Star Trek at its headiest and one of the great ST scores ever.  

Truth.

3 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Honestly, I don't really know, I think it was the theatrical version.

Did Vulcan look like this

https://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tmp2/tmphd0166.jpg

or this?

vulcan-scaled.jpg

20 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

Did Vulcan look like this

https://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tmp2/tmphd0166.jpg

or this?

vulcan-scaled.jpg

Both as shown here. 

Vulcan in the Animated Series – Purple Sloth Productions

Same looming moon as shown in TMP and sky as shown in the remaster but ruins in the distance.  I think the statues of warriors are relics of their violent past which they've shed.  Vulcans clearly are artists which implies some form of expression but don't think those sculptures represent art but rather relics.  Glimpses of who they were and Animated Series got that and then the movies took it further most perfectly in TMP remaster.

Spock_plays_Vulcan_lute.webp

One can argue that Spock, the musician, is embracing his human parentage.  I can argue that some consider music and art are actually a science too.  So a perfect example of true Vulcans.  They aren't artists for the sake of artistic expression but because it is perfect in its essential purity and correctness...purely logical.

6 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Yesterday I've finally finished The Animated Series... and it's way more solid than TOS :lol:, it gave me that bittersweet feeling when ending a good series, "I want more, but I know I shouldn't",

It’s fan produced, but Star Trek Continues is a nice bridge from TOS and The Motion Picture. 

Star Trek Continues

@karelm If I had to pick a favorite character from all of pop culture, Mister Spock would probably be my choice 90% of the time. 

32 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I just don't get the criticism that TMP is slow.

CHINATOWN is slow; 2001 is slow; SOLARIS is slow, but no-one dares criticising those.

Todd Ramsey did a great editing job.

we can't have recreation, only rollercoasters that last 90 min. otherwise, these old people at JWFAN fall asleep.

9 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I almost feel asleep watching a movie, at my local art house cinema, but then again, I did have most of a bottle of rosé in me, at the time :lol:

Yeah, similar circumstances when i fell asleep during Return of the Jedi Special Edition.

That said I have never even nodded off a tiny bit during Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

The whale stuff at the end of The Voyage Home? Once. It was a midnight show and I'd seen the movie a few times that week. Really I was just waiting for the... Thing at the end. (Yes, I'm being a little sensitive to spoilers for a 37 year old Star Trek movie since Gabriel is doing a watch.)

31 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

The whale stuff at the end of The Voyage Home? Once. It was a midnight show and I'd seen the movie a few times that week. Really I was just waiting for the... Thing at the end. (Yes, I'm being a little sensitive to spoilers for a 37 year old Star Trek movie since Gabriel is doing a watch.)

The whalesound is soothing. Insomniacs probably use that to get drowsy.  The underwater scene with Kirk trying to free them is lengthy, but I always am dazzled by how remarkable Shatner’s rooted hairpiece looks underwater.   Come for the whales, stay awake for the toupee!

On 15/05/2023 at 8:50 PM, Tallguy said:

Vulcan look like this

vulcan-scaled.jpg

Statues Schumacher's Gotham style.

On 16/05/2023 at 12:34 PM, Brónach said:

falling asleep to Jedi is normal

Imagine my battle when I wanted to watch it to match the Death Star explosion with the new year.

As for my rewatch of Wrath... Khan doesn't appear as much as I remembered. There are some reused shots from TMP that made me chuckle, and I finally got the complaint I read here sometimes about the "you never suffered loss" that Kirk's son says and he agrees. His son reminds me of the kid from The Blue Lagoon (and naturally, Top Secret) for some reason. Carol utters the words "Can I cook or can't I?" and that's when I realized... I spent too much time on twitter.

Nothing I can say hasn't already been said, it's good, I agree, so far I've only seen good Star Trek movies. I'll probably watch III this Sunday.

@Gabriel Bezerra so you watched the Director's Edition. If you saw it in HD you saw the most recent version. Good on you!

1 hour ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

and I finally got the complaint I read here sometimes about the "you never suffered loss" that Kirk's son says and he agrees.

Even though Meyer watched all of The Original Series (he says he did in prep for the movie and I've never had reason to doubt him) he has a very pop culture impression of Kirk. Shoots from the hip, girl in every star port, "never faced death". And since more people have seen TWOK than have seen all of TOS that impression is even stronger now.

Kirk faced death from the first pilot and onward.

2 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

I'll probably watch III this Sunday.

Well, depending on who you talk to III (or TSFS, or Star Trek III: The Search for Spock) is either a good movie with some dumb things in it or a dumb movie with some good things in it.

Shatner's performance is terrific with a possible exception.

Everyone agrees that James Horner's score is fantastic. One of his best. The only debate is if it's better than TWOK. Or (my opinion) if they're not just one big score and one shouldn't decide. :)

On 18/5/2023 at 12:45 PM, Tallguy said:

Shatner's performance is terrific with a possible exception.

Boy, it sure is.  Curious to know the exception if it’s not a spoiler for new viewers.   Shatner is just the right amount of Kirk, but he’s really wounded.   

I happen to think Trek III is visually beautiful, a better looking film than II, with the exception of the purple nebula from II.  I’m one of the weirdos who doesn’t mind the set photography for the planet surface. 

But it’s a super cool movie, with a lot of great performances and action.  It also pioneered some things that Trek would revisit frequently like post TOS Klingons (more than TMP did), Spacedock and ship upgrades, and most of all, the justified rebellion of the righteous good guys against a bureaucratic Starfleet. 

20 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Since I didn't really liked the Klingon plot, imagine my concerned look when IV begins with a continuation of this plot, but thankfully, it was about WHALES! I really loved IV, once again everyone is great, and I could tell everyone was having fun, and so was I. I'm sure it was merely a coincidence that this movie came out a year after BTTF, right. And it's a bit depressing that a movie from 2022 and 1986 share the same environmental message...

They had to have already been in production when BTTF became a hit. It's not like Star Trek and time travel are strangers.

It's only depressing if you consider that in 1986 (or 1976) the environmental message was "The whales will be gone and it will all be over by the 1980s / 1990s / certainly the 2000s..."

20 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

I guess it's the former for me, but the crew dynamics made it enjoyable.

It really stands almost entirely on spending time with the crew.

I think "You Klingon bastards you killed my son" was hammy and over the top but what else was Shatner going to do. The only wrong foot (IMHO) in one of his best performances.

24 minutes ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

I agree with you, they really do work wonders as one big score, and III utilizes Courage's theme more than any other movie so far, I and II kinda set my expectations to only hearing it two or three times.

Horner was the only composer who didn't seem embarrassed by Courage. Goldsmith signed on with the agreement that he wouldn't have to use Courage's theme and only after a last minute agreement between JG and Robert Wise was it included as underscore to the captain's logs. (Written by Courage himself.) Horner started his movie with the fanfare (which became the template for most of the rest of the films, including all of the subsequent films by Goldsmith) and used it throughout. He really does make it sound like just one of his own themes, doesn't he?

Horner only used the Main Theme at the end of III and did a lovely job of it.

Rosenman did the best job with the main theme though. There is an alternate main title to IV that uses Courage's main theme. It sounds like a great idea (and it kind of is) but his recording is so limp and has zero oomph. Since he did such a great job with the theme when the Enterprise A is introduced I have a theory (with no basis in fact) that he flubbed it so that he would get to open with his own theme. (Which Nimoy let him do.)

I love the music to IV. This is not a popular opinion.