Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

I can't say I'm looking forward to this. I don't pay much attention to Spielberg-produced films. In fact, these days they seem to consistently bad (with a few exceptions). But I could be forgetting a bunch.

He only excites me when he's directing.

Thor if you want to watch bad films with dinosaurs, I recommend tuning into the SyFy channel.

Nah, I'm not that interested in dinosaurs in general. It's only about the fictional universe set up by Spielberg for these movies, and the dynamic between mood, exoticism and action setpieces. They are simply to die for for a variety of reasons. So even a "bad" return to this universe is better than none at all, although I would obviously prefer that it was done with skill and elegance like the first three.

There are a few things that surprise me with this forum. One is the lack of enthusiasm for Spielberg films (this is a JOHN WILLIAMS messageboard, after all....you would think there was some overlap!), and the indifferent to lukewarm reaction towards the JP films.

I think there's plenty to talk about. In fact, I wrote a long article on the first film and why it is so effective and appealing -- beyond the surface narrative.

Another Jurassic score from Williams is the only thing that excites me about this.

That would be weird actually - a quadrilogy in which Davis is the piggy in the middle. He'll be as bashed as Ottman is for SR.

I think there's plenty to talk about. In fact, I wrote a long article on the first film and why it is so effective and appealing -- beyond the surface narrative.

That's an interesting approach. I'd love to see a debate between you and Roald (i think it was him). He suddenly decided earlier in the year that the first movie was full of flaws, and pretty much insulted anyone who didn't agree.

Let's have it then!

You'd need to Google translate it or something:

http://montages.no/2010/09/jurassic-park-1993/

(not so long, now that I revisit it).

Another Jurassic score from Williams is the only thing that excites me about this.

That would be weird actually - a quadrilogy in which Davis is the piggy in the middle. He'll be as bashed as Ottman is for SR.

Williams won't do it. If Joe Johnston is back it'll probably be Silvestri or something.

I think Spielberg might end up directing this time actually. I read somewhere before, he was really excited about the story,so it wouldn't suprise me. He could make Lincoln, then make JP4 or Robocolypse.

He's already confirmed to be directing Robopocalypse directly after Lincoln. Who knows though, he could direct JP4 after that!

I never said that he would or wouldn't. I merely said that he is already confirmed to be doing Robopocalypse after Lincoln. It comes outs in the summer of 2013.

I got what you said. I am just wondering why doesn't Spielberg direct this, if the story is so great. Something stinks here. Or maybe these are just my socks.

Karol

Well I know he tends to say something is great about a lot of things that sometimes dont turn out. But I guess as myself really wanting Williams to write another JP score instead of another Indy score, I hope maybe he has some type of tiff with George and decides to make JP 4 instead, to show people he can make part fours turn out ok :-)

Hmm... I'd love for him to do: Lincoln (2012), Robopocalypse (2013), Jurassic Park IV (2014) and then Tintin 3. :D

No, Polanski has to do Tintin 3! It would be awesome!

And hand JP4 to somebody else... Let Spielberg focus on stuff he's passionate about. Jurassic Park was never one of those, although the first film is a personal favorite. But you can't deny that his heart wasn't on the franchise in general...

This article popped up on my facebook feed today (the link was posted by the official Jurassic Park page). I thought it had some pretty good insights as to why the original is more beloved than 2 or 3 (as well as other dinosaur-themed films and TV programs).

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/dinosaur/2011/10/why-do-we-keep-going-back-to-jurassic-park/

Jurassic Park was the perfect vehicle for the debut of the CGI dinosaur, thanks to its careful attention to character and story, in addition to incredible graphics for the time (they still hold up quite well - I prefer JP's subtle approach to the over-the-top Transformers, etc.).

Jurassic Park will be as much an event in film effects history as King Kong or Star Wars.

This article popped up on my facebook feed today (the link was posted by the official Jurassic Park page). I thought it had some pretty good insights as to why the original is more beloved than 2 or 3 (as well as other dinosaur-themed films and TV programs).

http://blogs.smithso...-jurassic-park/

Jurassic Park was the perfect vehicle for the debut of the CGI dinosaur, thanks to its careful attention to character and story, in addition to incredible graphics for the time (they still hold up quite well - I prefer JP's subtle approach to the over-the-top Transformers, etc.).

Jurassic Park will be as much an event in film effects history as King Kong or Star Wars.

That article links to a story in which Jack Horner, one of the worlds leading palaeontologists, discusses the base subject of Jurassic Park 4. And they debunk certain things that couldn't have happened in the real world as far as what dinos could do, based on new investigations. Quite fasinating. I could definetly see Spielberg directing now. As it turns out, Michael Crichton was right afterall. He only had it the wrong way. New evidence suggets the modern day ancestors...birds could be used to genetically enginner reverse-dinos! Amazing.

Hmm... I'd love for him to do: Lincoln (2012), Robopocalypse (2013), Jurassic Park IV (2014) and then Tintin 3. :D

No, Polanski has to do Tintin 3! It would be awesome!

True! I just enjoyed the first one so much, I'd love to see him direct another Tintin. :P

Also, regarding Jurassic Park, I was more hoping for another Williams score.

He only had it the wrong way. New evidence suggets the modern day ancestors...birds could be used to genetically enginner reverse-dinos! Amazing.

I dont know what is morally worse... cloning dinosaurs from DNA or retro-fitting birds.

BTW could be great for the plot. Dogson's Biosyn manages to create dinosaurs via chicken-screwing and something goes wrong and there you have your new story.

After all... biosyn was going to reverse engineer the ingen embryos.

But the film has to include old cast.... maybe Tim...who is a post graduate strudent under the tutelage of Sarah Harding... or something ;)

But the film has to include old cast....

Absolutely! Would be great if Richard Attenborough showed up too!

I agree, but he was pretty ill at the beginning of LOST WORLD, as if on his death bed or something. But I'd like to see him return as well.

There is a strong resemblance.

Wait a minute - get out of here and get back to finishing up your Tintin reviews!!!

Isnt he like 104 now?

You mean the character or Attenborough?

The actor is "only" 88. I have no idea how old Hammond is supposed to be, but if the illness portrayed in LOST WORLD was passing, I'd say give him another shot.

But the film has to include old cast....

Absolutely! Would be great if Richard Attenborough showed up too!

I agree, but he was pretty ill at the beginning of LOST WORLD, as if on his death bed or something. But I'd like to see him return as well.

Attenborough has also retired as an actor... or at least he was planning to, I remember him saying he was done, unless they offered him Dumbledore. :P So I guess it was in 2003-ish. Still would love for him to show up.

Harris was OK in the first movie, but boring in the second.

Give him a break, he had cancer!

Edit: And I believe Attenborough suffered a very severe hit recently. I don't he's going back to acting or directing, sadly...

• 1 month later...

Oh wow, Attenborough would have made a WAY better replacement Dumbledore than Gambon!

Donald Sutherland or Michael Caine would have been even better, at least more interesting.

Producer Kathleen Kennedy Talks JURASSIC PARK 4

What’s it gonna take to get a fourth Jurassic Park off the ground?

Kathleen Kennedy: A great script is what it’s gonna take to get a fourth Jurassic Park. We have a very high bar for ourselves because we’re just like the audience, we don’t wanna make the movie if there’s not a reason to make the movie. So we’ve kinda created the dilemma ourselves because it was never intended to be a franchise, so there’s an argument to be made “Why are you doing a fourth Jurassic Park?” So we’ve gotta find a good reason for why we’re doing a fourth Jurassic Park and we’re in the midst of working on that right now.

So is someone writing a script as we speak?

Kennedy: Not writing, but we’re talking about it.

(Link originally posted by Michael. All rights reserved)

Blah, blah, blah....it's been ten years since the last, and probably another ten before something happens. :(

Meanwhile, I've had to find my JP fix elsewhere, and I just finished the wonderful JP: THE GAME from Telltale on my PC. Great experience, even though I'm no fan of action games, and it was difficult to time the controls sometimes. I was probably eaten about a hundred times over the course of the game. Oh well. At least it was great to finally be back in the universe, with the wonderful atmosphere etc.

So did I. Spielberg, Kennedy and Marshall should really stop trying to do a fourth one. It's been ten years.

But that didn't stop them from putting out Indy 4 after 20 years of development hell...

I've always thought it would be interesting to eventually (maybe in another ten or twenty years) try Jurassic Park again, following the book story line more closely. I think they're out of fresh sequel material (and what they have already done was unnecessary). They could do the same for TLW. You could even split the movies like they're doing with Breaking Dawn (except it would be justified).