Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

JP3 is more like a crappy B movie. It does seem to basically make a joke of the material.

The first JP is a modern classic, although it's by no means a perfect movie. It's fun, has cool effects and it really clicked with a generation growing up in that period.

TLW is just a bunch of people hanging out in the tropical forest with dinosaurs. And it's also fun.

I find the first entirely different to the others. It dealt with the ethics behind it all, and it also used music in a way it's never used nowadays - sparingly.

My problem with TLW has always been that it's too talky. There are huge sequences where nothing happens, e.g. in the high-hide, Eddie's equipment at the beginning, the scene with Malcolm's daughter. Get to the dinosaurs goddammit!

• 1 year later...

Jay said "the guy," not "that guy." "The guy" loosely translates into "the man," albeit without capitalization, so it's actually a form of respect.

I'd rather he do something he hasn't done before.

Another JP??? ;)

Yeah, he's been sitting on the rights to Stephen King's "The Talisman" for decades now. No more dinosaurs until we get to see The Territories on the big screen. And if Williams scores it, all the better.

Spielberg confirmed at Comic Con that he's doing Jurassic Park 4 next, the script is finalised and it will be released within 2 to 3 years. Let's hope Williams stays healthy!

I'd rather he'd get on with Interstellar instead.

'I wouldn't be here without you,' Spielberg told the audience. 'I wouldn't be here without you supporting these movies. Kids, no matter what your age, you're kids, and you'll be kids the rest of your lives. I've been a kid all my life.'

Spielberg said the day he grows up is the day 'I stop making movies, which I don't intend to do.'

Source

I've had my suspicions that he's having a bit of late mid-life crisis; perhaps the result of falling out of favour for a while after Indy IV - up to that point he'd been pretty much untouchable, even in the ruthless realm of the internet. I'm sure he probably read a lot of the criticism online (some of it personal) and I like to think it affected him in someway. He'd never been a target of flak from normal people before, and I bet he is regretful of that. He seems to be in an extended period of reflection, and I find that fascinating.

He seems somehow different, like he's keen to please his fans. He's had a huge presence in geekdom lately, he's really embracing the culture. That's new from him. Put it one way: I very much doubt we'll be getting another Munich any time soon.

Spielberg confirmed at Comic Con that he's doing Jurassic Park 4 next, the script is finalised and it will be released within 2 to 3 years. Let's hope Williams stays healthy!

He's just producing. Joe Johnston is still attached to direct.

I'm glad, I'd rather see any of the other projects Spielberg has considered over Jurassic Park 4, filmwise and scorewise. And I love the first two (well, I like TLW filmwise).

I know it was originally mentioned in the Tintin thread, but for those who haven't...

Spielberg officially announced at 2011 Comic-Con that they have a story and writer for JP4. His own words... "We have a story, I can happily announce right now. We have a writer... Hopefully, we'll be making Jurassic Park 4 in the near future. In the next two or three years."

On her blog, Nikki Finke clarified that she talked to Universal execs and that they're finalizing the deal for Mark Protosevich to write the screenplay (Kathleen Kennedy and Spielberg picked him). Furthermore, they told her that after a decade in development hell, they think JP4 will get made this time. And they want the movie sooner rather than later, preferably in 2013.

Finke said nothing about whether Joe Johnson is still attached to direct or not.

Put it one way: I very much doubt we'll be getting another Munich any time soon.

We're getting one in December.

Do you honestly think Warhorse is going to be like Munich? From what I have read it could not be further from it. It may have war as the backdrop and the main characters are caught in dire circumstances but I would wager there is quite a different spirit and focus in this film. Even judging by the music of the trailer.

Sometimes it's so very hard to differentiate between dead earnesty and sarcasm on this board.

Most people put smileys in order for it not to be confusing. I try not to. Else, it's too easy to tell them apart. I prefer people to make up their own opinion on the post, not to tell them what to think.

Emoticons are so Spielbergian.

Sometimes it's so very hard to differentiate between dead earnesty and sarcasm on this board.

Most people put smileys in order for it not to be confusing. I try not to. Else, it's too easy to tell them apart. I prefer people to make up their own opinion on the post, not to tell them what to think.

Emoticons are so Spielbergian.

And Spielberg is so 1980's.

Put it one way: I very much doubt we'll be getting another Munich any time soon.

We're getting one in December.

Do you honestly think Warhorse is going to be like Munich? From what I have read it could not be further from it. It may have war as the backdrop and the main characters are caught in dire circumstances but I would wager there is quite a different spirit and focus in this film. Even judging by the music of the trailer.

Munich was like Schindler's List. War Horse feels more like Empire Of The Sun to me. They all aren't so far from each other, though.

From the report I read, they made it sound like Spielberg was directing JP4. That would have been exciting.

:blink:

That seems unlikelier than JW returning to HP seemed!

But another JW JP score? Oh man...

I've always really enjoyed the look of the original. It really feels like we're in a theme park. Of course, the production design helps a lot. It's from before everything became rundown, murky jungle.

So hey, bring back Rick Carter as well, while we're at it!

(And yes, I know he also did The Lost World.)

I've always really enjoyed the look of the original. It really feels like we're in a theme park. Of course, the production design helps a lot. It's from before everything became rundown, murky jungle.

:up: Of course, the evolution of the films does make sense, and I actually kind of appreciate the change of pace in TLW, but at the end of the day, the first film does afford a richer variety of environments and a more well-rounded emotional palette.

I thought that Crichton's passing had put a stop to all Jurassic plans, but I guess money overrules.

Well, Kathleen Kennedy was the one who made that statement. I don't Spielberg ever gave up on the idea of producing a fourth film, even after Crichton's death. Plus, even though it's dormant, the franchise still makes money through merchandising, and via cable and broadcast airings.

If Universal is smart enough and get the film on track, they should be savvy enough to release the film on the 20th anniversary of the first film's opening.

Bring back Sam Neill!

Or not.

I just want Laura Dern back. She didn't have much to do in the first film (and did a cameo in JP3), but dammit, I liked her. She needs to do more mainstream work these days.