Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

Actually the last 5 years PJ has outdone Spielberg box office wise and that's not a slam against him because he still is one of my favorite directors.

I was speaking in terms of my personal opinion about the quality of their films, as compared to each other. As good as the LotR films are, Spielberg does more for me, as in Saving Private Ryan, Minority Report and Munich, just to name a few in the last 7 years.

Tim

I'll still take JAWS over anything Jackson has made in his entire career. Better characters, better dialogue, and great friggin score. And Bruce (the shark) is scarier than anything I've seen in KONG.

p.s. someone should tell Jackson that to make viewers believe in his stories, he should make his films a little more realistic- like Ann being tossed around in that 30 minute fight sequence. I counted 10 times where she would have been killed or paralyzed from the impact of her falls. And the bug scene. Like a kid who's never fired a machine gun could pick off those bugs from Adrian Brody without shooting him. Pulease. That's just too far fetched. The original Kong had it right. When Kong fights the Allosaur, Ann is in the tree. Yes the tree falls but it's a lesser impact than all the nonsense that Naomi Watts endures.

I'll still take JAWS over anything Jackson has made in his entire career.  Better characters, better dialogue, and great friggin score.  And Bruce (the shark) is scarier than anything I've seen in KONG.

p.s. someone should tell Jackson that to make viewers believe in his stories, he should make his films a little more realistic- like Ann being tossed around in that 30 minute fight sequence.  I counted 10 times where she would have been killed or paralyzed from the impact of her falls.  And the bug scene.  Like a kid who's never fired a machine gun could pick off those bugs from Adrian Brody without shooting him.  Pulease.  That's just too far fetched.  The original Kong had it right.  When Kong fights the Allosaur, Ann is in the tree.  Yes the tree falls but it's a lesser impact than all the nonsense that Naomi Watts endures.

That's all well and good, but you won't get anywhere by comparing films to Jaws. ^_^ Most films, or most popcorn films anyway, look a bit pale when compared to Jaws.

• 2 weeks later...

Now IGN Filmforce is contradicting recent news, reporting that the latest word is the JP 4 script is not done, and in fact won't be until at least next year. Make of this what you will.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/702/702301p1.html

John- not even sure why he's posting this

That being said I still feel PJ did an outstanding job with Kong and I enjoyed it alot. WETA did a great job considering all they had to do on that film.

Really?

WETA spent since 2003 in this movie, and contributed to two or three more.

One expects better.

ILM handled better with EPIII and made more than ten movies appart from it.

Im saying this because i just rewatched some parts of KK today, and well just watch when kong tosses appart the tree where the guys are before falling to the bug chasm for an example of what i mean. ILM does better CGI humans than that.

Not to mention in Kong, there are about 4 times where the sky jumps around, and when the camera pans aroud the tower at the end, you can clearly see that the lights off in the distance lighting it up are not stationary.

I still think JP has one of the most Realistic CG work in history.

Films that came out after--Jumanji--didn't look so great... but it's getting better.

Kong looked too fake to me. Everything looked so ...in focus or painted on. Not to say it wasn't a good movie, just that a lot of the effect shots didn't get me.

I'm looking forward to JP4.

Steven said in an interview that one of things he'd always wanted to do was have a raptor/human chase with the people on motorcycles, based on a scene from TLW.

Well, that scene in the movie, the people are chasing the dinos... so weither it's people chasing dinos, or dinos chasing people, I dunno...

But he "promised" that would be in the film.

That being said I still feel PJ did an outstanding job with Kong and I enjoyed it alot. WETA did a great job considering all they had to do on that film.

Really?

WETA spent since 2003 in this movie, and contributed to two or three more.

One expects better.

ILM handled better with EPIII and made more than ten movies appart from it.

Im saying this because i just rewatched some parts of KK today, and well just watch when kong tosses appart the tree where the guys are before falling to the bug chasm for an example of what i mean. ILM does better CGI humans than that.

You obviously haven't paid too much attention to AOTC or ROTS.

Another thing is that WETA doesn't have the unlimited funds ILM has. Considering WETA is hasn't been around as long as ILM I'd say they are doing a pretty good job.

Jackson had a great ammount of funds for LOTR, and i suppose, that with his success he also had for kong. And WETA has been winning Oscars since 2001, with the exception of last year Spiderman II (with worse effects).

And i have paid much attention to ROTS and AOTC, anyway you have to compare AOTC with LOTR CGI time-era wise, not with kong.

And please dont tell me the CGI stunts in ROTS look worse than in KONG. Even the basics, as fire and water are done badly by today standards.

I have no complain about Kong, the CGI creature, though. And yes WETA is doing a good job, but it is not the best one out there (yet?? who knows), as people is claiming it to be. It the second best company IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

That's all well and good, but you won't get anywhere by comparing films to Jaws. :) Most films, or most popcorn films anyway, look a bit pale when compared to Jaws.

That's because films weren't marketed towards kids yet.

• 2 months later...

Here are the facts:

Spielberg has just come out and said Johnston is his first choice as director of JP4.

Don Davis has come out and said his experience on JP3 was regretable, and it is unlikely he would return to the franchise if Johnston were involved.

Universal were extremely pleased with the reception of last minute James Newton Howard's King Kong score, which received many accolades.

Johnston worked with James Newton Howard on his last film, Hidalgo, to great effect. The two have clearly had a great working relationship.

JNH has done two epic dinosaur films scores, both excellent, and continues to prove himself as a quality composer in the industry.

Will JP4 make it the trifecta of dino films? What do you think? I think is the perfect talent for a Jurassic Park film. I'd love to hear what he has in mind...

Also note, JNH's music from Waterworld was heavily used in the JP3 trailers, my first introduction to JNH's awesome talent as a composer.

How sad... I was still hoping Spielberg would direct this, and subsequently give us another Williams score... Williams seemed to be under the impression that this was a possibility as recently as late August 2005...

• 2 months later...

Breaking News

In related news, the trade also reported that Joe Johnston will return to direct Jurassic Park 4, written by The Departed screenwriter William Monahan. Johnston helmed the third installment of the franchise.

Monahan also wrote Kingdom of Heaven. With him on board my excitement is up a few notches.

I'll still take JAWS over anything Jackson has made in his entire career.  Better characters, better dialogue, and great friggin score.  And Bruce (the shark) is scarier than anything I've seen in KONG.

p.s. someone should tell Jackson that to make viewers believe in his stories, he should make his films a little more realistic- like Ann being tossed around in that 30 minute fight sequence.  I counted 10 times where she would have been killed or paralyzed from the impact of her falls.  And the bug scene.  Like a kid who's never fired a machine gun could pick off those bugs from Adrian Brody without shooting him.  Pulease.  That's just too far fetched.  The original Kong had it right.  When Kong fights the Allosaur, Ann is in the tree.  Yes the tree falls but it's a lesser impact than all the nonsense that Naomi Watts endures.

Seriously! Because when I'm watching a movie about a giant ape and an island with dinosaurs on it, I want some realism. I'm not commenting on the quality of either of those films, but the idea that a shark would eat an air tank, chew it all up and have some part of it miraculously hanging out of it to have it shot with a rifle is a pretty unrealistic way for it to die. So if you're judging the realism of it, as if that has anything to do with its quality, then you need to take away some points.

Ted, appalled by the idea of people expecting movies like Jaws and King Kong to be "realistic"

Breaking News
In related news, the trade also reported that Joe Johnston will return to direct Jurassic Park 4, written by The Departed screenwriter William Monahan. Johnston helmed the third installment of the franchise.

Monahan also wrote Kingdom of Heaven. With him on board my excitement is up a few notches.

That bit had me confused for a moment there. :|

No Spielberg probably = no Williams, but in a strange way I'm glad neither of them will have this film on their list of credits.

• 11 months later...

It's so easy to make a joke out of this, but seriously, who would you choose if you had to cast actors for Jurassic Park 4? Money would be no objection :blink:

I have thought about which actors would work in an adventure/jungle movie, and which actors would be interesting to see together. I would have some actors necessary to return for the sake of continuity, some are just good enough to return and then I added some interesting actors, in my view. My suggestions:

Sam Neill - Dr. Alan Grant

Alessandro Nivola - Dr. Billy Brennan

Jeff Goldblum - Dr. Ian Malcolm

Laura Dern - Dr. Ellie Sattler

Julianne Moore - Sarah Harding

Richard Attenborough - John Hammond

Claire Danes - Lex Murphy/student

Paul Walker - Tim Murphy/student

Camilla Belle - Cathy Bowman/student

Dennis Quaid - Biologist

Jodie Foster - Biologist

Stanley Tucci - Lawyer/official

Christopher Walken - Financer/official

Morgan Freeman - Financer/official

Pete Postlethwaite - Roland Tembo

Arnold Vosloo - Military/hunter

Jason Statham - Military/hunter

Gerard Butler - Military/hunter

Oded Fehr - Military/hunter

Luis Guzmán - Local guide/hunter

Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje - Local guide/hunter

Djimon Hounsou - Local guide/hunter

The way I see it, Sam Neill, Jeff Goldblum, Laura Dern, Richard Attenborough and Alessandro Nivola are the main characters in the Jurassic Park movies. So I don't really mind who in Jurassic Park IV because chances are we going to see the same casts as well as introducing new cast for new characters...

I propose an all black male comedy cast of Martin Lawrence, Urkel, Chris Tucker and Eddie Murphy. The only female would be Barbara Bush. I would be very interested to see it if that were the cast. Otherwise, almost nothing could drag me back to Jurassic Park.

Hmm. Pity, no real JP fans around.

Pete Posteletwaithe as his character from The Lost World. That's all. Him against all the dinosaurs.
Not possible, he was eaten.

Pete Posteletwaithe as his character from The Lost World. That's all. Him against all the dinosaurs.

No, he wasn't.

Stephen Tobolowsky - Tyrannosaurus Rex

"Am I Rex or am I Rex or am I Rex? Bing!"

No, he wasn't.

I don't recall how he met his demise....but I don't care. He was probably the most entertaining character in any of the films.

He didn't. He survived The Lost World but retired from hunting because his partner was killed. He walked off into the night on Isla Sorna and probably just took the next chopper home.

Hmm. Pity, no real JP fans around

What a fan... bowdown

I'm one of the biggest fan of JP out here. (and there)

But since universal is going to cast whoever they want...i didnt have the urge to pick any... it can lead only to dissapointment...

GO JPIV! :P

Well, not really, but The Lost World was even more shamelessly about the dinosaurs than the first one was. Who gave a toss about the people involved?

And if you watch it with that in mind, it's a very entertaining film.

Pete Postlethwaite was the best human element in it, though.

I always end up bored to death when I watch The Lost World, dinosaurs or not.

Now, the San Diego finale is a whole different matter.

That's funny, I liked the film (although certainly not better than the original JP) except the San Diego finale...it makes the entire idea of secret dinosaurs on remote islands unbelievable and it was way too cheesy...almost as cheesy as Tom Hanks 'blowing up' a tank with his handgun in SPR, that scene I really hated.

Hmm. Pity, no real JP fans around
What a fan... :lol:I'm one of the biggest fan of JP out here. (and there)But since universal is going to cast whoever they want...i didnt have the urge to pick any... it can lead only to dissapointment...GO JPIV! :dance:
Ok, that's good. You sound like a fan :thumbup:Of course you're right but it's just for fun :) It so often happens that actors are fully or slightly miscast...imagine if you could choose a cast yourself for once, I'd like to :)Anyway, maybe someone who wants to comment on my choices?
Tom Hanks did not blow up the tank with a hand gun, he only thought he did, for a moment.Wel opletten he!
Exactly, that's where the quotes come in ;) Too cheesy.