Jurassic World (Jurassic Park 4)

Are we talking score or film?

Cos if we are taking film I couldn't disagree more.

But to be honest, the films are not a patch on the books (The Lost World book is awesome; shame the film is so totally different as to be basically unreconginasbale as the same story, bar the name).

TLW is a shocking film. Leaving aside the fact that it completely (and I mean completely) ignored the TLW book (like leaving out all bar one of the main characters and not following any of the plot), TLW suffers a number of other flaws. Principally:

1. Total lack of "awe" and "wonder" of the dinosaurs. This is replaced by more action, more silly set pieces (I am thinking that ridiculous digging race, and that brat of a kid's gymnastics) and more killer dinosaurs (where, for example, are the Brachiosauruses?)

2. No attempt at explanation of how dinosaurs where made, why they bothered with another island, how InGen observed the dinosaurs, why InGen released the dinosaurs in the first place, why there are so many carnivores etc (all important in book, and huge plot-holes in film)

3. The whole ridiculous subplot in San Diego, which is an insult to the whole series

4. Malcolm loses his character. He is meant to be dry, sarcastic, withdrawn, detached etc. In TLW he is basically the character Grant was in JP

5. The heart-warming ending (to be fair, JP suffers the same flaw), which is incredibly incongruous considering the team basically failed, many people dies and a dinosaur got loose in a major city.

Those are just off the top of my head.

What made JP such a good film was the mix of action, awe, SFX, tension, suspense, character-building (note in TLW there is no scene comparable to the Flea Circus Hammond scene from JP, no attempt to explain the characters' feelings, motivations, reasons for doing anything), good dinosaurs, bad dinosaurs etc.

TLW is basically Godizilla.

Hence JP > TLW.

As for Indy 4 - NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! I love the first three films, and would rather have no fourth film than a less-than-perfect one.

so how do you explain the Least Crusade?

It's times like these that make me a little concerned about Williams' age. I mean, he's what, 74? And when will these two movies be made?

I'm dying to hear Williams writing sequels for two of his best scores ever, but who knows?

God, sometimes I'm really pessimistic ... :angry:

it would suck if he died in the middle of writing a score. if they recorded the incomplete score to the last note and released it, that last note would be the saddest note ever played in the history of music.

but John Williams won't die.

Stop speaking about these things.

Chills run down my spine everytime.

Luke who would prefer williams retiring before seeing an unfinished score (and therefore even being rejected, his 1st one!)

• 2 months later...

As with Indy IV, there also appears to be another item about JP4 every week. Same goes for JP4 as for Indy.

Please post any news (unless already posted on the Main Page) here.

As of today, I will be dumping any new thread about Jurassic Park 4 in here.

- Marc

No one said the discussion had to be positive. The only comment I'd like to make is that JPIV has a lot to "live up to" at this point, since the action in Kong far outdoes anything in the last two sequels and has sort of set the standard for jungle/adventure dino stuff. I just can't see this project turning out anything good, but I have no doubt I'll send up seeing it anyway.

Ted

King kong had faker effects, but at least the humans fought back. At least there was some conflict and not just running and screaming. Take a tip spielberg! Let the humans fight back this time!

I couldn't care less about a JPV, but the day Spielberg starts taking tips from Jackson (or at least King Kong) is the day I start running and screaming away from Spielberg...and I won't be fighting back either.

The effects may not have been as good in some areas, but there's much more to an action scene than how flawless the effects are. They are functioning in some areas of Kong, and flawless in others. Nevertheless, there was a sense of conflict in Kong, a sense of exhiliration and adventure. I haven't seen a film since the original Jurassic Park that captured anything near that.

Ted

yes, the King Kong sequences were just too over the top, and pretty much showing off what ever they could handle. And in some parts it looked like they tried to go a little too far.

I have no problem with the Skull Island scenes. The reason I like them, like the film as a while, resides in the fact that it really feels as if Peter Jackson's vision, as Roger Ebert would say, has gone from his imagination to the screen without being filtered through reality. This kind of filmmaking is all about going too far; the very premise suggests its total absurdity. Such is the fun of the material. Like I've said before, the film is a tribute to movies in all of their pompousness, absurdity, and glory. I enjoyed the experience as someone who loves the art of filmmaking as visual storytelling for its visceral and emotional impact. I believe this film captured the exhiliration and joy of going to the movies.

Ted

I have no problem with the Skull Island scenes.

You mean the

S . . .

K . . .

U . . .

L . . .

L . . . Island scenes, right? :)

~Sturgis

The T-rex in JP is still more realistic than anything in King Kong.

The T-rex in JP is still more realistic than anything in King Kong.

Yeah, I know. I commented on that a while back in the movie thread. It's strange that they haven't improved some things in 13 years.

It's like the "scale" or "scope" of things improved, but not much else.

Tim

I agree. Lisa Schwartzenbaum, a movie reviewer from Entertainment Weekly, called Jackson the "Spielberg of this generation." Too bad Spielberg is still alive and kicking in this generation. :|

She went on to say that the T-Rex (or V-Rex, or whatever) in King Kong put that in Jurassic Park to shame, which we all know is simply not true. JP's T-Rex still looks incredible (I know, it was at night, but still). She also said that the bug scene in Kong was far creepier than that in Temple of Doom (or was it Last Crusade?). It was like she had some kind of personal vendetta against Spileberg.

Of course, she did end the review by saying, "It would still be cool if Spielberg beat the crap out of a hobbit in his next movie." It's weird, though, it's not like the two directors are competing. :?

Then again, she thought nothing in Kong needed to be trimmed down, and that the film was perfect length, so you can't really trust her I guess. ;)

~Sturgis

Lisa Schwartzenbaum, a movie reviewer from Entertainment Weekly, called Jackson the "Spielberg of this generation."  Too bad Spielberg is still alive and kicking in this generation. :|

And doing better then Jackson.

Tim

Lisa Schwartzenbaum, a movie reviewer from Entertainment Weekly, called Jackson the "Spielberg of this generation."  Too bad Spielberg is still alive and kicking in this generation. :|

And doing better then Jackson.

beerchug

~Sturgis

JP's T-Rex still looks incredible (I know, it was at night, but still).

I think the ending shots inside the Visitor's Centre are still more impressive than Kong's T-Rex, but nothing will beat the first appearence of that beast at night in the rain.

Watching that in the theatre for the first time was one of the most chilling, indescribable experiences of my childhood! That movie really holds a special place in my memory.

Ray Barnsbury

I think it's so well-done because we get glimpses and glimpses of the thing (its claws, head) adn then when we see it for the first time there's no pounding or climactic music, no dramatic camera shot. It's Ian and Grant in the fogged-up car hardly believing what the hell it is they're seeing. Then the aciton starts. Love it.

Actually the last 5 yearsPJ has outdone Spielberg box office wise and that's not a slam against him because he still is one of my favorite directors.

The T-Rex's first appearance in Jurassic Park remains to this day one of the most impressive uses of CGI and live action. Sometimes the first attempt turns out to be the best. One of the things that helps is the scene takes place at night and it's raining which might help eliminate some of the glitches you might spot.

That being said I still feel PJ did an outstanding job with Kong and I enjoyed it alot. WETA did a great job considering all they had to do on that film.