Ready Player One (2018) FILM Discussion

indy4

On 7/9/2016 at 5:37 PM, Jay said:

When was the last time a Spielberg movie recorded its score outside LA?

EDIT: Oh wait, wasn't Lincoln recorded in Chicago?

OK, when was the last time a Spielberg score was recorded outside the USA?  Raiders in 81?

Raiders sounds about right. But hell, Spielberg's kids have grown and moved out, he doesn't have to stick to Los Angeles for the easier commute home.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Maybe he didn't like the experience and made sure it never happened again!

I'm guessing almost all of Spielberg's films have had their post based in L.A. 

In his shoes, I'd probably want the scores based there too! What could be better than jumping in the car from your home and driving to attend a Williams scoring session (and listening to all the recordings on the way home ;)).

Sure but - The LSO man, the LSO!

Imagine TOD performed by that orchestra?

(Actually, TOD sounds complete amazing as-is, dunnit?

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the book. It's terrific. So excited for this film and score. I may offer more detailed thoughts tomorrow.

On 7/12/2016 at 9:19 AM, Jay said:

Sure but - The LSO man, the LSO!

Imagine TOD performed by that orchestra?

(Actually, TOD sounds complete amazing as-is, dunnit?

I imagine if it was performed by the LSO, you'd get a better sense of unity during the legato passages.

25 minutes ago, Matt C said:

I imagine if it was performed by the LSO, you'd get a better sense of unity during the legato passages.

I don't know what that means.

Ready Player One is an adventure novel. It's not pure fun in the vein of Indy or Tintin because, yes, there are "big lessons" about things like corporate greed and the benefits of actual reality. But it's still a great ride. There were times it got a little slow but others times I couldn't put it down. I think they will probably condense/streamline the plot for the film because it's pretty long and winding. 

The film will need a lot of VFX. Many scenes may well be entirely computer generated (perhaps using some motion capture?) And it will be interesting to see how Spielberg decides to depict a lot of the scenes -- will we switch back and forth from the real world to the virtual one? Could there even be a split screen? Additionally, Spielberg has mentioned he is making a VR project for the film, presumably a companion to the film.

In any case, as I said this is an adventure. It's not quite as light hearted as Tintin but it's more emotionally resonant, fixing one of the problems of that 2011 film. It's really exciting to think Spielberg and Williams are about to work on an adventure again, like the old days, one with just the right doses of fun and sadness. I highly doubt Williams will write in the Tintin style so we'll probably get classic action/adventure Williams with a little electronic flavor (or he could decide to go all out with the electronics). 

If you have any questions about the book, just ask. The novel will be enjoyed most by anyone who was following pop culture in the 80s, but I wasn't alive back then and the book was still terrific -- I recommend it to everyone here who's excited for the film. It's not only for video gamers -- I rarely play video games. And us JWFans are basically geeks, so the geeky parts -- being obsessed with knowing everything possible about a topic, chatting on online forums -- may well resonate with you. I know they did with me.

There is a Williams cue mentioned in the book, by the way (maybe even two?) See if you can spot it. :)

Based upon reading the book, does it seem like there will be a lot of pop music licensed for the movie? If it's as much about 80s nostalgia as some say it is I could see Williams having to compete with Thomas Dolby or Madonna or whatever.

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Based upon reading the book, does it seem like there will be a lot of pop music licensed for the movie? If it's as much about 80s nostalgia as some say it is I could see Williams having to compete with Thomas Dolby or Madonna or whatever.

80s pop music is mentioned many times. I would think we'd here some but I think the 80s nostalgia will have a significantly reduced role (probably much less name-dropping of various 80s things if they aren't significant to the story) since the film will be aimed at a huge audience. So if I had to guess I'd say 80s music will have a small role at most and Williams will be the focus (although maybe that's just wishful thinking!). @Romão, do you have anything to add?

• 3 weeks later...

Currently shooting around London, with an action sequence due to take place in early September around Birmingham streets.

An action sequence will be shot on Livery, Water, Henrietta, Mary Ann, Lionel and Newhall Streets.

Work to transform the buildings will be held from August 22 to September 4.

Filming will take place on September 5 in Lionel and Newhall Street and then from September 6-9 on Livery, Water and the surrounding streets.

There will also be a night of filming on Friday, August 19 in Mary Ann Street, but this will have a smaller impact on office workers and residents.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/whats-on-news/steven-spielberg-coming-birmingham-shoot-11726062

Finally got around to reading the book. Not very good, but definitely not the worst book I've ever read. It'll be fun to see how it's adapted, but I'm a little worried about Spielberg cutting out references to himself. Is this out of some sense of humility? Simon Pegg is definitely not how I saw Og either, but we'll see how that goes.

4 hours ago, Hawmy said:

Finally got around to reading the book. Not very good, but definitely not the worst book I've ever read. It'll be fun to see how it's adapted, but I'm a little worried about Spielberg cutting out references to himself.

I just started the book last night actually, enjoying it so far. I've read quite a few books due to Williams work on their adaptions, The Book Thief and The BFG most recently. I'd read plenty of Dahl before, but previously skipped over The BFG.

Regarding Spielbergian references in the film, some references to Spielberg's earlier works were noticed on set in Birmigham:
https://www.inverse.com/article/20215-ready-player-one-steven-spielberg-science-fiction-jaws-gremlins-delorean

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I love 80's nostalgia! What are you talking about? 

On 30/07/2016 at 0:24 PM, Stefancos said:

Just looks like yet another memory lane trip for hipsters and people who grew up in the 80's. A TV version of Jurassic World, Terminator Genisys etc.

I dont really see the point.

Ready Player One, or Stranger Things? 

On 30/07/2016 at 1:14 PM, Stefancos said:

I know I'm being loose with the definition, but I think you know what I mean. Is this just a rose tinted look at  1980's stylings. A love letter to Amblin (like Super 8)? If so, then i won't bother with it. I'm a 90's person.

Ready Player One, or Stranger Things? 

On 30/07/2016 at 3:55 PM, Stefancos said:

I barely recall the 80's. And what i do recall isn't great.

Your memory is worse than awful! 

Yes?

Really don't see your point though.

I will go and see Ready Player One because it's a sci-fi adventure film directed by Steven Spielberg.

I probably would not have seen Bridge Of Spies if it hadnt been directed by Spielberg, certainly not in the cinema, same for The BFG.

Stranger Things wasnt directed by Steven Spielberg.

Apples and oranges really....

Why?

I'm interested in Ready Player One because it's an upcoming Spielberg film, simple as that.

Probably will get to Stranger Things soon, but it seems to be a TV version of Super 8, a loving homage of 80's Amblin. And I've never seen Super 8....

9 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

Changing the subject, does anyone else suddenly have a shit ton of emotion wash over them and become teary eyed when they think about how much they love John Williams and his work? I was just listening to a piece and it happened again. 

Could I venture to ask what piece it was? 

12 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

Changing the subject, does anyone else suddenly have a shit ton of emotion wash over them and become teary eyed when they think about how much they love John Williams and his work? I was just listening to a piece and it happened again. 

That pretty much sums up my experience listening to parts of TFA. Rey's Theme, The Resistance March, The Jedi Temple.

12 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

Could I venture to ask what piece it was? 

I was just dropping my kids off so inevitably ET was playing in the car as usual but I continued listening after they were gone and it was the closing credits cue, specifically the joyous fanfares at the finale and then the gentle last strings chords as they grower softer and quieter before fading out. The way Williams signs off with that score is just so quintessential of him, and the very essence of what makes his contribution and legend so great, and beautiful

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Probably will get to Stranger Things soon, but it seems to be a TV version of Super 8, a loving homage of 80's Amblin. And I've never seen Super 8....

I know I might enjoy that, but I'm at a point where 80's nostalgia doesn't actually work on me and I need something else on the product.

Stranger Things isn't anything to get excited about, but it's harmless and quite charming with it. Just don't expect Spielberg levels of craftsmanship (and satisfaction) and you're good. 

22 hours ago, Hawmy said:

Finally got around to reading the book. Not very good, but definitely not the worst book I've ever read. It'll be fun to see how it's adapted, but I'm a little worried about Spielberg cutting out references to himself. Is this out of some sense of humility? Simon Pegg is definitely not how I saw Og either, but we'll see how that goes.

Huh. I quite enjoyed the book, actually.