Ennio Morricone - The Hateful Eight

Muad'Dib

It was just confirmed that this will be shown in 70mm in a special theatre here in Norway, starting on January 8th and then for 10 days. Awesome! Can't wait.

But why are they there?

They aren't just tracked cues, they're pieces taken from other films. It wouldn't matter so much if it was clear they were taken from elsewhere, like if they were famous songs. Maybe they are like that.

I imagine it's something Tarantino and Morricone agreed from the beggining. After all, he recorded only about 30 minutes of music for the film so it isn't illogical to think so.

Edit: I was right!

(...) Nevertheless, he met with Morricone, and initially, it seemed like scheduling might've kiboshed their collaboration. “We started talking and he thought I hadn’t started to shoot yet. Little did he know I had shot, and I would need the score in a month," Tarantino said. "And he’s like, ‘This is not going to work. I’m working with Giuseppe Tornatore, and he just finished shooting the other day, and I’ve got to do his score, this is not going to work. I was told a lot of things that weren’t correct, and I’m really sorry.’ And I go, ‘Well, tell me what you thought about the script.’ "

“ ‘I see a theme that’s moving forward, there’s a forward momentum to it that suggests a stagecoach, but the important part of the theme is the fact that it truly suggests the violence that follow eventually,’ " Tarantino said, paraphrasing Morricone.

"That sounds pretty fucking good,“ Tarantino thought, adding that he floated the idea of using music from "The Thing" to Morricone. And the composer came up with plan that would help provide the director a complete score.

Taratino reveals that Morricone explained to him, "...'I wrote a whole orchestra score [for 'The Thing'], and I wrote a whole synthesizer score, because I knew that was what [John Carpenter] was used to, and I gave him everything, and the only thing he used in the entire movie was the synthesizer main title [track].' So basically, if you stay away from the synthesizer main title, all that music that’s on the soundtrack album has never been used in a movie ever. So, he goes, ‘What I can do, is I’ll write the theme…and with the other ‘Thing’ pieces of music, now you have your original score that’s never been used in a movie before.' "

However, once Morricone got going on 'Hateful,' he told Tarantino the next day, " ‘I’m going to write you more music.’ And I think he literally sat down that night and started composing the theme that he was talking about and got more inspired, and came up with more music. And then all of a sudden ten minutes of music became seventeen minutes of music, became thirty-five minutes of music. And so with that, and the unused ‘Thing’ portions that I used, [i've got] my original score."

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/quentin-tarantino-reveals-hateful-eight-score-has-unused-music-by-ennio-morricone-from-john-carpenters-the-thing-20151211

Also, about last year's overblown diss between Morricone and Tarantino (Ennio allegedly said "He uses music without coherence in his films, I can't work with him"), the director said in an interview:

"I think he was talking to a class, and he was just saying that he didn’t care for my all-over-the-map approach in the case of 'Django Unchained' and some of the other things that I’ve done and whatever. But it wasn’t necessarily a criticism of me, per se. It’s just not his cup of tea," he said. "I think it’s kind of a generational thing, and that I completely understand. He apologized. And he said nothing he needed to apologize about. He later clarified it, because it was blown out of proportion. Some asshole nimrod who wants some sort of power thing leaked it to whatever thingy so he can just have the fun of watching it in three hundred outlets. I felt [Morricone] was betrayed by that person. I knew that was where he was coming from! I knew that’s how he felt about my shit! It was nothing new to me. And almost in a generational way, he was left out to dry. He is such a great artist, he can say any fucking thing he wants."

And the composer also says the quote was taken out of context. "The only thing I criticised of Quentin Tarantino was a single scene in a single movie which, for me, was too violent and too ghastly. I couldn't watch it," he told BBC News. "People should pay a lot of attention when they write something down."

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/quentin-tarantino-was-pissed-off-by-inglourious-basterds-oscar-results-talks-ennio-morricone-diss-20151211

Do we know how much of the music in the film is pre-existing? It might result in disqualification from consideration of the oscars if "it has been diluted by the use of pre-existing music".

The rules are this:

A. The work must be created specifically for the eligible feature length motion picture.
B. The work must be the result of a creative interaction between the filmmaker(s) and the composer(s) and/or songwriter(s) who have been engaged to work directly on the motion picture.
C. The work must be recorded for use in the motion picture prior to any other usage, including public performance or exploitation through any media whatsoever.
D. Only the principal composer(s) or songwriter(s) responsible for the conception and execution of the work as a whole shall be eligible for an award.

A score shall not be eligible if:
1.it has been diluted by the use of pre-existing music, or
2.it has been diminished in impact by the predominant use of songs or any music not composed specifically for the film by the submitting composer, or
3. it has been assembled from the music of more than one composer.

It's ultimately a judgment call made by the executive committee of the Music Branch (Charles Fox, Charles Bernstein, a few others to offer a spectrum), which watches the movies, examines the cue sheets and discusses it among themselves before reaching decisions.

Indeed. Have no idea what SUH is talking about. Sounds like something Gk would say.

If anything, Tarantino is responsible for an entire generation discovering old and classic film scores. All the credits are on the soundtrack, which if they like the music, they buy.

Just look up a UK postcode. CH11DP worked for me ;)

Hateful Eight starts around 1 hour 50 minutes

Thanks. Good stuff from Morricone. Nothing too spectacular, but I like it all the same.

Wow, I'm loving it so far! The descending suspense chords on the first track remind of the music from TGTBATU when Tuco is torturing Blondie through the desert.

And the second sounds a bit like the stuff from when Blondie and Tuco are on the civil war camp or under the bridge. Simply heart breaking.

I NEED MOAR