Your current audio equipment..

Josh500

Apparently USB isn't as clean an interconnect as you'd think, especially if the cable runs longer or thinner, and bits can become lost along the way. And it doesn't transmit a steady stream like optical cables do, rather it sends data in "packets", which can make it prone to errors, and some soundcards aren't as good as others. Very interesting.

I'll have to switch computers and see if my other one sounds better. If not, it might be the cheapie USB cable itself that came with the DAC.

Go ahead and buy that $500 USB cable. It's your money!

Personally I'm using them free USB cables and never experienced anything weird. It either works or it doesn't.

Just try another USB cable. Do you also have distortion while playing CDs with your CD-ROM? Or only with 192 kHz files?

Distortion usually points to a driver issue.

I'll have to procure another USB cable as I don't have any other A-to-B ones in my house.

I haven't played any 192khz files (don't have any), just 44khz ones on my computer or on Spotify. And the distortion usually happens when it gets a bit bassy. I tried the same tracks from my separate CD player and my phone via BT and none of that distorted crackling was present. So it might just be the computer, or some component inside, that itself isn't up to par.

Baffles? Do you mean grilles?

Anyway, now that I listened to them somewhat, I'm not entirely convinced that these are the speakers for me. Low mids are too warm, too rich,  and treble is a bit veiled: There's not enough 'air' surrounding the voices/instruments. Of course, a lot depends on the recordings. Bass and sound stage are great though. Maybe I have to get used to them. 

Now listening with a bit of treble adjustment on my amp ...

Updated my setup a bit 🙂

I’m Keeping the ATH-MSR7b as portable headphone but I got a new Beyerdynamic Amiron Home for home use coupled with a pair of Yamaha HS5 and an Audient iD4 MK2 sound card 

Yesterday I played a lot of testing material (sine waves at various frequencies, etc) to loosen the drivers of my new Linton speakers, and lo and behold, the difference that I heard at the end of the day was immense! My complaint about the midrange seems to be pretty much resolved. Never experienced anything like it. It's almost as if the midrange driver was literally rusted shut. Yes, it's still a warm tone but it's way more balanced now. At least, I think it is. Will check today to see if I wasn't dreaming.

Playing the soundtrack of The Revenant just blew me away.

Linton-im7.png

On 5/12/2021 at 5:50 AM, AC1 said:

Yesterday I played a lot of testing material (sine waves at various frequencies, etc) to loosen the drivers of my new Linton speakers...

What was the "testing material" that you played, Alex?

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What was the "testing material" that you played, Alex?

Yes, mostly sine wives (40 Hz, 45 Hz, 50 Hz, 60 Hz, etc), sweeps, bass heavy tracks that I found on youtube, concert bass drum passages, ... those are the things I remember. 

20 hours ago, AC1 said:

Yes, mostly sine wives (40 Hz, 45 Hz, 50 Hz, 60 Hz, etc), sweeps, bass heavy tracks that I found on YouTube, concert bass drum passages, ... those are the things I remember. 

Did you play the EARTHQUAKE sound effects tracks?

There's a test CD that plays just about every frequency that the human ear can hear, at once. It lasts for two minutes, and is meant to sonically clean your hi-fi.

I've heard (no pun intended) that it's good.

It should be arriving today ...

... to replace my Pioneer A-A9-J ...

8bd25930-fc86-41c5-928d-b80417a788b2.jpg

Goodbye old friend ...

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

How many amps have you got now?

Yes, it's still an integrated amp and everything sits in the same housing.

The Denon PMA-1510AE (listening right now) is also a dual or double mono design. The sound seems more weighty with the Denon than with the Pioneer.

Denon-PMA-1510AE-Silver_D_600.jpg

I was expecting that I could connect two pair of speakers (it has A and B connectors) but it's only for bi-wiring. Grrr!

22 minutes ago, AC1 said:

The sound seems more weighty with the Denon than with the Pioneer.

It would! :lol:

22 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I was expecting that I could connect two pair of speakers (it has A and B connectors) but it's only for bi-wiring. Grrr!

You'll have to get yourself a pair of bi-wired speakers.

15 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It doesn't have loudness? What does that mean? That you can't hear anything?

Eejit.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bought this yesterday at a thrift shop for 20 Euro. Back then (around 2008) it was a staggering 1000 Euro. Played some CDs and a SACD (Steely Dan's Gaucho) with it and it sounds pretty good. It will be my main CD player for now. 

977e4527b628960fea57bb0013673cf8-1200-80

On 12/26/2020 at 3:16 PM, His Royal Noelness said:

Wrong. 

I waited until Christmas morning. It’s really nice. Probably not suited to film music but Oasis sounded good on it last night!

I've been considering getting a HomePod mini for the kitchen. Have you tried listening to more film scores on it?

On another note

I have a pair of rather large home built speakers which I've had for many years and which sound amazing (and are old and were built sometime in the 90s or even earlier. I think that the components are KEF för the bass, Motorola for the top and Audes 2 dome for the mid mid.

I recently I started getting distortion in the right speaker for certain frequencies and specifically piano, so much that it is impossible to use them. I have a feeling that it's the mid range that is the main issue and some pieces sound OK. They are connected to a NAD 7020 stereo receiver. They sound amazing so it's a real shame that this happened.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be the problem and what I could do to fix them? Alternatively, recommend any other stereo speakers that sound good but don't cost an arm and a leg.

10 hours ago, AC1 said:

Bought this yesterday at a thrift shop for 20 Euro. Back then (around 2008) it was a staggering 1000 Euro. Played some CDs and a SACD (Steely Dan's Gaucho) with it and it sounds pretty good. It will be my main CD player for now. 

977e4527b628960fea57bb0013673cf8-1200-80

Oh, wow! GAUCHO sounds great, in 5.1.

If this can play 5.1 mixes in stereo, then do an A/B comparison with the two-channel reduced, and the original stereo mix. They sound a lot different from each other.