Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (JJ Abrams 2015)

crocodile

Foodles, nothing but foodles, nothing but foodles, fooodles.

Since it's been confirmed that Avatar 2 won't hit theaters December 2015, my friend Jamie thinks it's only a matter of time before Disney moves Episode VII to that month instead of summer. (Considering Disney already has two high-profile sequels slated for summer.)

https://twitter.com/filmnerdjamie/status/363024406089445376

He's pretty well-connected, but he's been wrong before.

Disney has never committed to "Summer 2015" for Star Wars 7, we just assumed it. They have only committed to "2015"

It could still work, though. Avengers 2 is locked into May 1, and Pirates 5 is locked into July 10.

Releases Star Wars 7 the traditional Memorial Day weekend in late May, or sometime in early June, isn't TOO much of a cannibalization of sales.

But don't forget Disney also has Inside Out on June 19th. IDK. It's a crowded year :P

They might not commit to fixed dates at all.

Like, say, Harry Potter films - half of the films were released in the summer and the other - before Christmas.

Karol

I'd say its more likely Star Wars gets a May release, Avengers in July, and Pirates 5 in December. Star Wars has always been released in May, and if they move it I'm sure there will be fans who complain how Disney is messing with tradition.

No reason to move Avengers 2 out of May 1st. Very few films hold the #1 spot more than 2 weeks in this era.

Avengers 2 has been slotted for May 1, 2015 since last year.

I agree Pirates 5 getting pushed back to December is more likely than Star Wars 7 getting pushed back to December, HOWEVER neither of those films have filmed a single shot yet, so who knows what production delays might happen before cameras start rolling. Maybe JJ gets really picky with the script and 2015 becomes impossible, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly, Disney did not deliver any new and exciting Star Wars news at their 2013 D23 Expo (their primary focus was Marvel and their 2014 titles like Maleficent). Alan Horn merely regurgitated the generic release spot, Abrams' involvement, and little else.

http://collider.com/star-wars-episode-vii-release-date-summer-2015/

Horn got jeers and heckles during that "announcement."

There's probably nothing to report yet.,

Although most have been somewhat tight lipped on this. I still wonder if they want to release Episode 7 the same summer Avengers 2 will be released.

Probably not. Disney will end up ruling that summer anyway with Avengers: Age of Ultron and Pirates of the Caribbean 5.

Disney doesn't have a second holiday 2015 offering before or after Finding Dory, which is usually another animated film or something else. The fact that Box Office Mojo doesn't have Star Wars: Episode VII on the roster yet, let alone in the "TBD 2015" or "summer 2015" spot says something.

I don't see a problem with Disney switching seasons on Star Wars. The franchise sells itself, and it'll open big no matter when it comes out.

I doubt it if they are using more practical effects. The prequels took so long because of the shear amount of CGI needed to be produced. Considering his tv background, Abrahms probably already films at a brisk pace.

D23 has never been a good place for exciting movie announcements. Mostly they just repackage presentations done at SDCC (like the Thor and Captain America sequel sizzle reels), with some actors sprinkled here and there.

Steve Weintraub (@colliderfrosty) says that the plan is that Disney will make big announcements regarding Episode VII in October or November. :sarcasm:

http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2013/08/emperor-palpatine-rumoured-for-star.html

I figured a few weeks ago that they might bring Palpatine back.

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Rise Of The Sith will open just like The Two Towers. Replaying the scene in ROTJ where Vader throws The Emperor, we then see what happens afterwards from his perspective.
Most likely his fall is cushioned somehow, like Luke on Bespin, and he is able to get to a shuttle just before The Death Star II explodes!

Brilliant!

I don't think they will be. GL & JJA said that it's gonna be a new direction for the films. So I don't think they gonna rely on the EU on everything.

Yoda though, now that wrinkled gnome needs to return.

Bigger and badder!

Yoda-hulk.jpg

They obviously cloned him and gave him more midichlorians so he became Yodhulk! Or we find out that you should never get him wet or feed him after midnight or he'll turn into a giant angry green monster!

I wonder if episode 7 will have the ghosts of Anakin (and Obi Wan). And if so, I wonder if Hayden Christensen will make an appearance, or if they'll find someone who looks like Anakin right before he dies in episode 6.

For the love of god, no more Hayden Christensen. He's done enough damage. He's a terrible actor, that got lucky in one movie (Shattered Glass). Everything else I've seen him in has proven that Lucas just flat out chose a poor actor for the most important character in the films.

Most likely his fall is cushioned somehow, like Luke on Bespin

i never understood how Luke's fall was "cushioned" . Seems like he should have died even if he landed in that sloped tunnel

That's always been the biggest TESB implausibility to me