The Force Awakens SCORE Discussion (Film Spoilers Allowed)

Thor

OK, back from the film and some general comments on the music:

First of all, I was a BIT disappointed by the score. The keyword here, I think, is "whimsical". There's a LOT of rhytmic and energetic stuff with all the usual Williams trademarks, but if you want thematic setpieces like a "The Asteroid Field" or "The Forest Battle" or whatever, you won't find it. In fact, the most striking theme was the "rebel" theme (also in the way it appeared in the film). In that case, it has a lot in common with INDY 4.

Rey's theme had some nice renditions -- especially of the more pastoral kind (an extension of what you heard in the TV spot) when she is first introduced.

Finn's theme and Kylo Ren's theme are more motivic than thematic, IMO.

A big treat was the appearance of the original themes -- they're almost used more extensively than in the first six films. The "Force" theme appearances were undoubtedly those that made the biggest impression.

There is dark choral music for one particular scene, but it's not in the big, overt "Duel of the Fates" kind. More like the choral music for Palpatine in REVENGE OF THE SITH.

To be fair, I think the music will fare much better on album. At least I hope so. It's mixed fairly high in the film, but there's still a lot getting lost in the sound mix.

To be fair, I think this "whimsicality" (is that even a word?) was more engaging here than in INDY 4. But we are clearly hearing a more contemporary Williams here who isnt' exactly the same as in 1977.

To be fair, I think this "whimsicality" (is that even a word?) was more engaging here than in INDY 4. But we are clearly hearing a more contemporary Williams here who isnt' exactly the same as in 1977.

As expected!

Did you notice the Abrams/Miranda cantina song at all, Thor? What's that like?

Also were these details from last summer true or BS? Mainly curious if there's anything like the "cantilena" and "jazzy/big band" pieces they described: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25417

Definitely no thematic set-piece cues in there then, Thor?

Yes, a couple. The "rebel" theme, in particular.

Were there any Imperial March references?

One. You've already seen the scene in the trailer.

So Rey's theme is as we heard it in the ABC TV spot?

Yes, but it goes on a bit longer.

The talk about the score actually has me excited for it.

There's no tracked-in music in TFA, right?

Do you mean from the previous 6 films?

Ah, the song. Yes, it appears in a cantina scene (as everyone knows), and it's a nod to the cantina music that Williams wrote for the first film, with some of the same type of instruments. But not as memorable. And it's far more in the background for most of the scene. Nothing to write home about, IMO.

Ah, the song. Yes, it appears in a cantina scene (as everyone knows), and it's a nod to the cantina music that Williams wrote for the first film, with some of the same type of instruments. But not as memorable. And it's far more in the background for most of the scene. Nothing to write home about, IMO.

Alas important enough to be put on the album.

Alas important enough to be put on the album.

I think it has the potential to break up some of the intense action music on album. Unless it's the last track, of course (I forgot the track title sequence).

01. Main Title and the Attack on the Jakku Village (6:25)

02. The Scavenger (3:39)

03. I Can Fly Anything (3:11)

04. Rey Meets BB-8 (1:31)

05. Follow Me (2:54)

06. Rey’s Theme (3:11)

07. The Falcon (3:32)

08. That Girl With The Staff (1:58)

09. The Rathtars! (4:05)

10. Finn’s Confession (2:08)

11. Maz’s Counsel (3:07)

12. The Starkiller (1:51)

13. Kylo Ren Arrives At The Battle (2:01)

14. The Abduction (2:25)

15. Han And Leia (4:41)

16. March of the Resistance (2:35)

17. Snoke (2:03)

18. On the Inside (2:05)

19. Torn Apart (4:19)

20. The Ways Of The Force (3:14)

21. Scherzo For X-Wings (2:32)

22. Farewell And The Trip (4:55)

23. The Jedi Steps And Finale (8:51)

How was the choral stuff? Is there more choral material than the Sanskrit stuff for Snoke? Also: How prominent are the new themes in comparison to the old ones? Surely most of it is new? Or can we count out an Oscar nomination here due to too much use of old material. What do you think Thor? Maybe it is hard to say?

How was the choral stuff? Is there more choral material than the Sanskrit stuff for Snoke? Also: How prominent are the new themes in comparison to the old ones? Surely most of it is new? Or can we count out an Oscar nomination here due to too much use of old material. What do you think Thor? Maybe it is hard to say?

No, not more choral music than the Snoke stuff (which sounds like that choral music that plays as Palpatine and Anakin discuss things at the theater or whatever it is).

It's hard to say anything about the balance between new and old stuff. The old themes appeared in fragments throughout the whole film (for relevant moments). The album will give us a clue.

Looking at the track titles that Jay posted, I'd say the "Scherzo for X-Wings" is a definite highlight. And the last track.

Oh, and there's a FUGUE here too, I forgot that. But it's in the middle of an action sequence. "Abduction", maybe?

"Scherzo for X-Wings"?

Is it anything like "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra" from IJTLC?

The latter includes orchestra.

Yeah, but I think it would be funny to see an X-Wing parked inside a concert hall ready to play its solo part for the track (along with the rest of the orchestra, of course).

So the Lucasfilm logo really just plays SILENTLY, with no music at all?

Then why the F did Disney put that horrid ESB End Credits edit underneath it for the digital versions of the old films?

AND WHY DIDN'T DISNEY ASK JOHN WILLIAMS TO WRITE A BRAND NEW PIECE FOR THE LUCASFILM LOGO TO PREMIERE WITH THIS FILM??

This is sounding not good.

I think it will be very well liked, hopefully including myself, and I think the album will give us a much better overview of the score. This is just first impressions from watching the film once (from one guy).

So the Lucasfilm logo really just plays SILENTLY, with no music at all?

Then why the F did Disney put that horrid ESB End Credits edit underneath it for the digital versions of the old films?

AND WHY DIDN'T DISNEY ASK JOHN WILLIAMS TO WRITE A BRAND NEW PIECE FOR THE LUCASFILM LOGO TO PREMIERE WITH THIS FILM??

Yeah, and then we'd get one by JJ Baby and Lin-Manuel Miranda because Williams would rather do the score.