Manakin Skywalker

:o

Its the real deal..microedited in Williams vein

1 hour ago, Michael Dean Okell said:

I'm kind of new to this website so I apologize if I'm not supposed to post about this. Back in early 2005 or late 2004 (can't remember) my cousin was working as a sound engineer for the 6th film (Revenge of the Sith). According to him, he was given a copy of a "test mix" of the soundtrack after it was completed so he could give input to the main engineer. He then kept the CD (I'm not sure if he was allowed to or not) and had it in his closet until 2008, when he gave me the CD since I was sort of a Star Wars fan at the time. I had it in a shelf in my room for the last few years, and I have never touched it until the middle of last month. I was clearing out my CDs in my room, when I remembered this one. It's just a generic CD in a white paper slip-case labelled "EP3" with a black marker. It doesn't have any track lists on the back or anything. I put it in my computer, and saw that the tracks had names. There was one in particular that I noticed that struck me. There was a track called "11 I AM The Senate", which I don't remember being on the original soundtrack. Also the track "Grievous and the Droid" which is one of my favorites is missing, along with another one (I don't remember which). Anyway, the track contains music I'm not familiar with, and I'm not sure if it was used in the film or not. I have a download attached to the post.

11_I_AM_The_Senate!.mp3

The music was partially released in the film but heavily edited. THe early amazon listing of the CD has this cue in the tracklist, but somehow they decided to delete it.

We had this music from videogames but having the original williams approved edit is very nice :)

Well, firstly... wow! Secondly, not sure what to make of this, if it's legit (and it sounds legit!)

It's got the trademark, jarring John Williams microedits, but also sounds a bit "fan edit" to my ears (as in, it sounds similar to fan edits of this cue that have been assembled from various video games over the years).

I don't suppose you had an uncompressed WAV of the track, by any chance? :) 

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

If I remember correctly, that cue was originally supposed to be on the OST, so at least Michael's story fits with what we had been told before.

Yep, I Am The Senate was intended for the OST, even listed in early leaks of the tracklists. It didn't make the final cut.

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's got the trademark, jarring John Williams microedits, but also sounds a bit "fan edit" to my ears (as in, it sounds similar to fan edits of this cue that have been assembled from various video games over the years).

I agree (for example, there seems to be a volume drop at 0'32). Though the edits sound less obvious than in most fan edits.

I don't suppose you had an uncompressed WAV of the track, by any chance? :) A tracklist with track lengths would be very helpful as well, to compare them to what ended up on the final version of the ROTS OST.

That would be appreciated, yeah!

Yep, I Am The Senate was intended for the OST, even listed in early leaks of the tracklists. It didn't make the final cut.

Of course, an inch of truth makes the lie harder to spot. ;) Not saying Michael's lying, but you're can never be too careful.  We've seen so many people pretending having recording sessions cues or stuff like that even though it was fan edit material... At least, in this case, the story is believable, and the track sounds legit!

Well here's the original tracklist for Revenge of the Sith:

1. Star Wars & The Revenge of the Sith 
2. Anakin's Betrayal (changed to track 4 on OST)
3. Battle of the Heroes 
4. Anakin's Dream (changed to track 2 on OST)
5. The Reunion of Anakin and Padme (removed from OST)
6. Welcome, Lord Vader (track 11 on OST)
7. Padme's Ruminations (track 8 on OST)
8. Grevious Travels to Palpatine (track 13 on OST, huge spoiler removed from track title!)
9. I Am the Senate (removed from OST)
10. General Grevious (track 5 on OST)
11. Palpatine's Dark Teachings (track 6 on OST)
12. Anakin vs. Obi-wan (track 9 on OST)
13. Anakin's Dark Deeds (track 10 on OST)
14. The Immolation Scene (track 12 on OST)
15. The Birth of the Twins & Padme's Destiny 
16. A New Hope & End Credits 

So The Reunion of Anakin & Padme and I Am the Senate were both removed from the final OST, while Grievous and the Droids was added.

@Michael Dean Okell, is there a track on your album called The Reunion of Anakin & Padme or similar? It should be track 5 or thereabouts, and it's also unreleased music.

What the hell am I missing here? A post of Rick Astley lyrics suddenly turns into a discussion of REVENGE OF THE SITH? Is this a reference to another thread?

16 minutes ago, Michael Dean Okell said:

Unfortunately no. I only own the officially-released album that you guys have.

:(

Well... Let's say, theoretically, you had the chance to hear a pre-release version of the OST, would you have enjoyed hearing a track called The Reunion of Anakin and Padme? A track that was removed from the final OST...? :)

4 minutes ago, Michael Dean Okell said:

I'm assuming that probably would have consisted mostly of "Revisiting Padme", which is a good cue. So yes!

I wonder if such a track would also consist of Another Happy Landing...? ;) 

1 minute ago, Manikin Skywalker said:

That 'I am the Senate' mix was mine btw. I was trying to make an extended fan edit of the OST, using Williams' microediting style.

So awkwardly removing a bar or two from the middle of various fanfares?

Just now, Manikin Skywalker said:

Basically. ;)

Johnny really has it in for his big, brassy fanfares, doesn't he?!

Must have been someone in the LSO brass section he really hated.

1 minute ago, Manikin Skywalker said:

Basically. ;)

The whole thing is unreleased. Same with the ending which is actually 'Bail's Escape'.

Ueah...i have the videogame music. But i thought that there was some bits and dots joining things unreleased.

Bail's escape was strange being there...

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Ueah...i have the videogame music. But i thought that there was some bits and dots joining things unreleased.

Bail's escape was strange being there...

It's strange but no stranger than any of the other weird editing decisions on the prequel OSTs.

2 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Im a little confused about what happened here...

Was this some kind of joke? As to test us if your edit sounded legit enough, or something?

I'm not familiar enough with the video game leaks to know whether this poster's MP3 sounded any better than what's already out in the domain.

Generally most of the unreleased ROTS music has always sounded pretty darn good to my ears, it's just the wholly unreleased stuff that sounds crap (because the sound effects add noise).

17 minutes ago, Manikin Skywalker said:

I am the Senate is the main one I'd like to hear. I wonder if any of the unused bit was included.

I didn't hear anything that hasn't already leaked in a video game somewhere. It just had a bunch of perplexing microedits to music already heard in complete form via video game leaks.

Just now, Jay said:

This is the kind of stuff I have to wake up to instead of glorious Jurassic Park and Lost World discussion?

Well, I did receive my second email from LLL! :) One step closer to hearing that glorious release.

9 minutes ago, Manikin Skywalker said:

I was referring to the official track, before it was removed from the album.

So was I.

At least, assuming this was the official track they removed from the album, complete with microedits.