Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

11 hours ago, Edmilson said:

It left me so cold and uninterested by the end. I couldn't care less about I couldn't care less about Chalamet's Paul and his quest to avenge his father or something.

That seems to be almost always the case with me and a Villeneuve movie. I didn't really care about Officer K and his quest to find an old Rick Deckard in Blade Runner 2 (to be honest, I already knew that before they started filming). I didn't care for the two boring protagonists in Arrival and their quest to communicate with the aliens (I've  seen Close Encounters Of The Third Kind already). I didn't really care for a bland Emily Blunt and her mission in Sicario. And so on, and so on.

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Well, speaking for myself, after seeing Part 1 I have next to zero desire to see the second. Sure, I'll eventually see it, hopefully in theaters... But I'm not hyped.

I used to be a big Villeneuve fan, I loved Arrival, Prisoners, BR2049, etc, but Dune was his weakest movie by far. It left me so cold and uninterested by the end. I couldn't care less about Chalamet's Paul and his quest to avenge his father or something. It's not an awful movie by any means (cinematography and VFX were great) but not very good either.

That said, last year I also had zero hype for Avatar 2 and I ended up liking it more than I thought I would (though I suspect the crappiness of most blockbuster movies last year helped A2 to look like Citizen Kane in comparison).

I understand. I think some people will always find his movies to be cold. Like Nolan films. I love Nolan and Villeneuve and I think their concepts and craftmanship are top notch even if the execution is not always as groundbreaking as they want you believe. You mentioned that most blockbuster movies last year helped A2, and that is exactly how I feel about Dune. Go watch a Marvel film and tell you couldn't shoot some of those shots with 6 months of training. The cinematography is as bland as it gets. The music is not bad, but extremely vanilla, like it was made by an AI jukebox. The jokes, action, characters, narratives...all formulaic. Then you have movies like John Wick, which is stylish and fun, but still wants to be Marvel film. John Wick is invincible, to a point where he can singlehandedly win the war for Ukraine. Dune feels like the opposite. It has impeccable cinematography; every shot felt like it has meaning. The music isn't conventionally great, but it is boosted by an eccentric signature. The narrative is a bit cold like you said, but compare to the exaggerated buoyancy of today's films, I welcome it. It feels real, like the actors aren't trying to be likeable or villainous in every scene. 

Lastly, a lot of it is just preference. I always love more serious, gritty films with dramatic stakes. I am a sucker for films like Terminator 2, Inception, The Dark Knight, Mad Max: Fury Road, and The Revenant instead of films like Star Wars. I like Star Wars, but I don't get why people think those films are all time greats. Everything about Star Wars is so obvious. Luke a good looking kid with a humble beginning. Of course he is the hero. She is a reluctant princess that fell for a the charming rogue. Of course. Even though the empire is so powerful, none of the storm troopers can shoot, and nobody really gets eviscerated. And people can do spectacular things because...they have the force. Everything felt just a tad too neat and clean. 

17 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Villeneuve is the new Nolan.

I agree, although Nolan writes far better endings. Two of the best directors today. 

Yeah. I'm so excited. I read the book again after the first film and I'm even more excited now.

I think together with Indy 5 this is my most anticipated film of the year!

Mission: Impossible then Dune. IMVHO.

It would be nice if they actually show the Baron being smart. Or at least thinking he is. Of course the big gotcha in the book is that the Spacing Guild needs spice for space travel and nobody knows it. In the movie it's in the opening narration. (Both movies.)

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Who is the second picture of?

Is it Alia, or, maybe, Irulan?

Yeah. Irulan.

Order of pictures:

• Paul
  • Irulan
  • Chani
  • Gurney Halleck
  • Feyd-Rautha
  • The Baron
  • Glossu Rabban
  • Lady Jessica
  • Lady Margot
  • Stilgar
  • Director Villeneuve

22 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Who is the second picture of?

Is it Alia, or, maybe, Irulan?

In your own words:

On 18/07/2022 at 8:06 AM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Apparently, Florence Pugh has been cast, as Princess Irulan.

56 minutes ago, Jay said:

In your own words:

That's as maybe, Jay, but I don't know Florence Pugh from a hole in the ground.

The only two Pughs I know, are Robert Pugh, and "Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb", which is waaaaaaay before your time.

Oh man, Florence Pugh is great, one of the best 20something actors working today

Check out the film Midsommar for a really good leading role for her; She was also in the recent Greta Gerwig Little Women and the (terrible) film Don't Worry Darling.  She's also in the MCU as the new Black Widow, having appeared in that film and the Hawkeye TV series so far

Glad to hear there'll be a trailer tomorrow.  I'm definitely looking forward to re-watching the first film before seeing the second, I quite enjoyed it.

I'm also kind of hoping an extended cut is released before the second film.  Wasn't it revealed that a lot of book scenes were filmed, then didn't make the theatrical edit?

5 minutes ago, Romão said:

Fenring is being played by Tim Blake Nelson

When you dig up the sand, all you get is dirty.

5 minutes ago, Romão said:

No announcement for Alia yet. Her portrayal might involve VFX and some sort of motion capture, I'd reckon

I doubt that any mo. cap. could better the astonishing slow motion shot of Alicia Rosanne Witt holding the crysknife.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm also kind of hoping an extended cut is released before the second film.  Wasn't it revealed that a lot of book scenes were filmed, then didn't make the theatrical edit?

Me too, and yes, a lot was cut, but I'm not holding my breath, Villeneuve seems to be type of filmmaker that is absolutely committed to theatrical cuts,

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I doubt that any mo. cap. could better the astonishing slow motion shot of Alicia Rosanne Witt holding the crysknife.

That movie has many stunning shots, but that one is definitely one of the best. The look of relish of a child's face after killing someone...

2 minutes ago, Romão said:

Villeneuve seems to be type of filmmaker that is absolutely committed to theatrical cuts,

Has he spoken about this in interviews, or are you just going by the precedent that he's never done one before?

Had Peter Jackson released any alternate cuts before Fellowship?

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Has he spoken about this in interviews, or are you just going by the precedent that he's never done one before?

Had Peter Jackson released any alternate cuts before Fellowship?

I will try to find a quote, but he stated it quite outright when asked about asked about an extended cut for Dune.

edit: found it:

After Jason Momoa Calls For A Dune Director’s Cut, Denis Villeneuve Has Responded

and from other interview

Are there any deleted scenes you wish were in the movie and should we look forward to any particular deleted scenes in the home entertainment release?

I never put deleted scenes in Blu-rays. Why? Because when it’s out of the movie it’s because it’s dead. And if it’s not in the movie, there’s a specific reason why.

What you see on the screen right now is the director’s cut.

Were there scenes that were painful to cut? Of course, there’s a lot of scenes. There are some moments with Stilgar [Javier Bardem] in the deep desert, that I had to remove.

There’s a moment where Gurney Halleck [Josh Brolin], is playing a song, which was very sad. That was one of my favourite moments that I had to remove because I decided myself that it didn’t fit in that first part. But that’s part of the journey of editing a movie, you are killing your darlings!

A slower pace and more character development would benefit the experience, IMO.

When watching it, I felt like I was seeing a story ripe for the prestige series treatment.  The entirety of season 1 of a theoretical show could have been them living on Arrakis, with the betrayal that destroys everything being the season 1 climax.

And it's clear that the Mamoa character got up to a lot of stuff we didn't see

1 hour ago, Romão said:

and from other interview

Are there any deleted scenes you wish were in the movie and should we look forward to any particular deleted scenes in the home entertainment release?

I never put deleted scenes in Blu-rays. Why? Because when it’s out of the movie it’s because it’s dead. And if it’s not in the movie, there’s a specific reason why.

What you see on the screen right now is the director’s cut.

Were there scenes that were painful to cut? Of course, there’s a lot of scenes. There are some moments with Stilgar [Javier Bardem] in the deep desert, that I had to remove.

There’s a moment where Gurney Halleck [Josh Brolin], is playing a song, which was very sad. That was one of my favourite moments that I had to remove because I decided myself that it didn’t fit in that first part. But that’s part of the journey of editing a movie, you are killing your darlings!

There's a lot of stuff that was cut (either from the film, or from the script, or from the book while adapting it) that I wish would be reinstated - and none of the moments listed in that quote are among it.

3 hours ago, Romão said:

If anything, I think Sting did too much 

"I will kill him!"

"...and when they've had enough, I'll send them you. Feyd. Lovely Feyd".

It's interesting that Villeneuve cut Haleck's song. Lynch did the same, although it's on DUNE REDUX.

38 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"I will kill him!"

39 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's interesting that Villeneuve cut Haleck's song. Lynch did the same, although it's on DUNE REDUX.

I was thinking the same thing, on both counts.

The teaser embedded above via twitter is also on youtube which is better quality I think

Wow, cool trailer, definitely did its job of getting my hyped to see it this fall!

But man, I'm sure they uploaded a perfectly fine version to Youtube's servers, and my connection here is fine and my computer is powerful, yet Youtube only delivered it to me compressed to hell and back, pixelation everywhere, blurg.  Maybe I can see something in the theaters this summer and catch the trailer there

Looks quite grand.

Also, Villeneuve seems to be shooting the desert scenes in more varied lighting conditions. It doesn't look as "milky" and hazy as some of the shots from the first movie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...