Villeneuve's DUNE

A24

6 hours ago, Brónach said:

Oh, The Creator. Who knows who knows! Some good comedies with bite or horror movies would be nice. And Ridley has a... strange, unsatifying history with historical epics.

And Dune is... it sounds silly to say out loud but I already know how Dune goes and the 60% of the score is going to be annoying (imagine if say, Don Davis or Christopher Young or someone completely unexpected but good worked on this!)

Elliot Goldenthal would have been my dream choice for this project

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

There's going to be third one?!

Angels, and ministers of grace, defend us.

Not a fan of Dune Messiah? It's the book that will serve as the basis for the potential third movie:

"[Dune Messiah] is being written right now," Villeneuve affirmed. "The screenplay is almost finished, but it's not finished. It will take a little time."

Being cautious not to dole out too many details, Villeneuve said the third installment will follow Paul Atreides as he navigates "the end of [his] journey." The film is based off the Frank Herbert of the same name, which was written as a follow-up to 1965's Dune.

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Not a fan of Dune Messiah? It's the book that will serve as the basis for the potential third movie:

Far from it.

4 hours ago, A24 said:

We first have to see what the part 2 of Dune 1 will do at the box office. If it tanks then Denis has been writing for nothing.

Going on what DUNE 1 PART 1 made, I'd say that there is a built-in audience, for DUNE 1 PART 2, DUNE 2, and DUNE 3.

28 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Going on what DUNE 1 PART 1 made

That's the thing, though: Part 1 didn't make all that much money. And while that's partially the influence of Covid and Villenueve made an excellent motion picture, its still not the most, erm, accessible of motion pictures. So yeah, I wouldn't be holding my breath for a part three. The thing that really worries me is that, with the propsect of a part three in mind, Villenueve will leave the end of part 2 in an up-in-the-air note.

14 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

That's the thing, though: Part 1 didn't make all that much money. And while that's partially the influence of Covid and Villenueve made an excellent motion picture, its still not the most, erm, accessible of motion pictures. So yeah, I wouldn't be holding my breath for a part three. The thing that really worries me is that, with the propsect of a part three in mind, Villenueve will leave the end of part 2 in an up-in-the-air note.

A big factor for the box office was not only covid but the fast release on HBO Max.

Dune Messiah is the end of Paul’s story which is what Denis said he wanted to adapt so at least the films by him will conclude with Messiah if they make it.

I honestly have no idea how they would adapt Children of Dune and especially God-Emperor if they really want to complete the Atreides saga.

1 hour ago, MaxMovieMan said:

Dune Messiah is the end of Paul’s story which is what Denis said he wanted to adapt so at least the films by him will conclude with Messiah if they make it.

I honestly have no idea how they would adapt Children of Dune and especially God-Emperor if they really want to complete the Atreides saga.

Well, if anyone keeps going...

Spoiler

I hope Jason Momoa keeps healthy.

My favorite Villeneuve movie remains Prisoners. Arrival is also great, Enemy (aka the movie where Jake Gyllenhaal is afraid of spiders) was intriguing and BR2049 was totally absorbing in the IMAX movie theater despite the slowness of the story. 

Holy mother of god I feel like I just saw the whole movie. Looks incredible but damn they showed a lot. They’re scaling up the action a ton from the book it looks like. I love the foreboding tone of Paul’s powers. They’re not treating it as like a messiah but rather as a dark curse that has dire consequences, which is exactly how they should portray it.

Spoiler

Paul is a false messiah.

My only concern is the chemistry between Paul and Chani. I hope Timothee and Zendaya can pull it off but I’m not getting a huge connection from the trailer. If that relationship doesn’t work the whole story comes crumbling down. Chani is Paul’s everything.

36 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

My favorite Villeneuve movie remains Prisoners. Arrival is also great, Enemy (aka the movie where Jake Gyllenhaal is afraid of spiders) was intriguing and BR2049 was totally absorbing in the IMAX movie theater despite the slowness of the story. 

Those are my Villeneuve favourites. (And two of them are among my Deakins favourites, too)

24 minutes ago, MaxMovieMan said:

My only concern is the chemistry between Paul and Chani. I hope Timothee and Zendaya can pull it off but I’m not getting a huge connection from the trailer. If that relationship doesn’t work the whole story comes crumbling down. Chani is Paul’s everything.

Is she that important to him? The vibe I'm getting from the trailers is not of an epic love story but rather from a CW teen drama, with trendy and Instagram-friendly actors saying corny lines and such.

12 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Is she that important to him? The vibe I'm getting from the trailers is not of an epic love story but rather from a CW teen drama, with trendy and Instagram-friendly actors saying corny lines and such.

In the books she is. That’s why it’s important they get it right.

These visuals are certainly impressive, as is the scale. A lot of what Villeneuve does here just nails it.

That said, I admit the emphasis on the "love story" really made me cringe. I have nothing against love stories, in genre films or otherwise, but in this case I just wasn't buying it, and I'm hoping it's just a function of marketing the film. Because if this is the tact they're taking with the story, I've got my doubts.  I mean, of course their relationship is an important part of the books, but...not quite this way.

As others have said, I found there to be very little chemistry between the two leads, as some of the dialogue was indeed cringeworthy and more like something you'd see on the WB.