John Williams: Unpopular Opinions

Bilbo

• 4 months later...

I enjoy more listening to the Dial of Destiny OST from beginning to end than listening through the whole Concorde disk of Temple of Doom. 

ToD has great themes and composition. But as one whole body of work I find the action music in that score really stressful at times. After all it seems I am more a fan of Williams' post Lost World 2000+ action writing.

9 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

After all it seems I am more a fan of Williams' post Lost World 2000+ action writing.

Me too. As great as stuff like the battles of Yavin, Hoth, Endor, Mine Car Chase etc., are, I'd much rather listen to Visitor in San Diego, The Quidditch Match (from all three HPs), Anderton's Great Escape, The Conveyor Belt (all two of them :P), Tavington's Trap, etc.

That said, Desert Chase is awesome.

On 31/03/2023 at 5:51 PM, Not Mr. Big said:

Superman and Hook are objectively the most overrated JW scores (judging by extensive twitter studies I took)

Superman's first act is on the level of JW's best scores. 

33 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I enjoy more listening to the Dial of Destiny OST from beginning to end than listening through the whole Concorde disk of Temple of Doom. 

ToD has great themes and composition. But as one whole body of work I find the action music in that score really stressful at times. After all it seems I am more a fan of Williams' post Lost World 2000+ action writing.

Yes, this is an unpopular opinion, but I think that opinion that DoD is a great score(particularly the second half, but all of it) should not be considered unpopular.  

Dial of Destiny is the weakest of the Indiana Jones scores. 
Superman and Hook are some of Williams’ greatest scores.

War Horse is a mediocre Williams score.

Tintin and the BFG are good, but not great. 

51 minutes ago, JTW said:

Tintin and the BFG are good, but not great. 

I wholeheartedly disagree, but it seems the general consensus around here.

A score I just can't seem to get into is A.I. Much was made of the "revelatory" quality of the expansion, but it hasn't done a lot for me.

I have no idea how 'unpopular' this will be, but my ordering of Indy scores is in reverse, from LC backwards. LC is Williams having the time of his life - classic set piece after set piece.

Which means Raiders is by a mile my least favourite. I find it too 'dry' and most of the action set pieces don't do much for me, particularly Desert Chase.

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I have no idea how 'unpopular' this will be, but my ordering of Indy scores is in reverse, from LC backwards. LC is Williams having the time of his life - classic set piece after set piece.

Which means Raiders is by a mile my least favourite. I find it too 'dry' and most of the action set pieces don't do much for me, particularly Desert Chase.

We don't agree often, but we do here. Well, with some modification, because I think RAIDERS is a fantastic score too. But it can't even come close to CRUSADE. As you say, one self-contained setpiece after the other that somehow also come together very well on the OST. CRUSADE is one of my top 10 JW scores of all time. The others are not.

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

My ranking of the Indiana Jones scores:

1. Raiders

2. Last Crusade

3. Temple of Doom

4. Crystal Skull

5. Dial of Destiny

If I had to rank them it would be

1. Temple of Doom

2. Last Crusade

3. Crystal Skull

4. Raiders

5. Destiny

But they're all great. Raiders would probably be first if the playing was better, but I also have never been super enamored with Desert Chase. 

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I'm afraid that the Indiana Jones films are a sad case of diminishing returns.

I've not yet seen DOD, but, from what I've read on this fair site, I can't imagine it being any better than KOTCS.

The third best in the series? Probably not. lol