Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

Watched The Others. Interesting it does not feature HDR at all. 

Karol

The Criterion edition?

I'm waiting for comparison caps with the Studio Canal one, to decide which to get. (which has better encoding in essence)

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

The Criterion edition?

I'm waiting for comparison caps with the Studio Canal one, to decide which to get. (which has better encoding in essence)

Are they not exactly the same? I thought they were.

Karol

Just now, crocodile said:

Are they not exactly the same? I thought they were.

Karol

No, they are not presumably.

They may be based on the same scan, but encoding should make a difference between the two.

11 hours ago, crocodile said:

Watched The Others. Interesting it does not feature HDR at all. 

Karol

My standard Blu-ray of The Others has a lot of image noise and grain to the point that I find distracting. They probably used a highly light-sensitive film stock. I fear it will get worse with 4K releases.

7 hours ago, A24 said:

My standard Blu-ray of The Others has a lot of image noise and grain to the point that I find distracting. They probably used a highly light-sensitive film stock. I fear it will get worse with 4K releases.

I've never actually seen a Blu-ray of this. I only have the old DVD so cannot comment on this. Having watched the new disc, I think the film is meant to look somewhat murky and "old" in places. Can't say I noticed much noise but I am not an expert like some other people. But from I've read, there is quite a difference.

Karol

On 03/10/2023 at 9:35 PM, JoeinAR said:

Picking up Prey after work in 4K

I miss being able to drive to a physical store and pick up the latest movie release :(

On 05/10/2023 at 4:15 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Walmart sucks.

No its a good store 

I would buy THE PIANIST, but I can't stand George Lucased films! :down:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=18595&d2=18591&s1=219202&s2=219193&i=17&l=0

They've redone the FX shots! (look at the rooftops in the back)

19 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@crocodile, how does HIGHLANDER look, on UHD?

Could you put up a screenshot?

Here's the French release. I assume it looks the same in all the countries.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=17764&d2=17763&s1=200551&s2=200527&i=14&l=0

10 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=18595&d2=18591&s1=219202&s2=219193&i=17&l=0

Far in the background, the 'George Lucased' version does look better, IMO.

7 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Maybe, but it's not the original thing. And I always want the original, as shown in theaters back in the day.

They most likely 'George Lucased' it because people nowadays have big HD screens. 

20 hours ago, filmmusic said:

But the overall new 4K master is looking way way better than the Bluray, this is great work.

Nice, I look forward to watching The Abyss and True Lies this fall then.  Literally haven't seen either film since the 90s due to Cameron's slowness

21 hours ago, Andy said:

Activity today for 4K UHD releases of Aliens, True Lies, and the Abyss. 

I will be double dipping on Aliens and Titanic on 4k. I haven't seen the ABYSS in years.  Im sure it will look amazing. Looking forward to all 4 JC releases.

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/10/2023 at 11:58 PM, filmmusic said:

I like that film. If it includes the theatrical cut, I'll buy it.

It will contain a Blu-ray of the theatrical cut, mastered from the same 4K scan: https://shoutfactory.com/products/jfk-collectors-edition

Conan films coming from Arrow with iso scores!

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=152483&forumID=1&archive=0

Conan the Barbarian and Conan the Destroyer FINALLY announced for 4K

It's a day early, so no official announcement straight from the source, but the fine folks at Arrow Video are going all out, as they're not only handling both films as individual and lavish releases, but also throwing out a two-film set for folks that want both in one convenient package:

image.png

4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
- Brand new 4K restoration from the original negative by Arrow Films
- Double-sided fold-out poster
- Six double-sided collectors' postcards
- Illustrated collectors' booklet featuring new writing by Walter Chaw and John Walsh, and an archive set report by Paul M. Sammon

DISC ONE – FEATURE (4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY)
- 4K (2160p) Ultra HD Blu-ray presentations in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) of three versions of the film via seamless branching: the Theatrical Cut (127 mins), the International Cut (129 mins) and the Extended Cut (130 mins)
- Newly restored original mono audio and remixed Dolby Atmos surround audio on all three cuts
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing on all three cuts
- Archive feature commentary by director John Milius and star Arnold Schwarzenegger (Extended Cut only)
- Brand new feature commentary by genre historian Paul M. Sammon, author of Conan: The Phenomenon (Extended Cut only)
- Newly assembled isolated score track in lossless stereo (Extended Cut only)

DISC TWO – EXTRAS (BLU-RAY)
- Conan Unchained: The Making of Conan, an archive documentary from 2000 featuring interviews with Schwarzenegger, Milius, Stone, Jones, Lopez, Bergman, Poledouris and several others
- Designing Conan, a newly filmed interview with production artist William Stout
- Costuming Conan, a newly filmed interview with costume designer John Bloomfield
- Barbaric Effects, a newly filmed interview with special effects crew members Colin Arthur and Ron Hone
- Young Conan, a newly filmed interview with actor Jorge Sanz
- Conan & The Priest, a newly filmed interview with actor Jack Taylor
- Cutting the Barbarian, a newly filmed interview with assistant editor Peck Prior
- Crafting Conan's Magic, a newly filmed interview with visual effects crew members Peter Kuran and Katherine Kean
- Barbarians and Northmen, a newly filmed interview with filmmaker Robert Eggers on the film's influence on The Northman
- Behind the Barbarian, a newly filmed interview with John Walsh, author of Conan the Barbarian: The Official History of the Film
- A Line in the Sand, a newly filmed interview with Alfio Leotta, author of The Cinema of John Milius
- Conan: The Rise of a Fantasy Legend, an archive featurette on the film's literary and comic book roots
- Art of Steel: Sword Makers & Masters, an archive interview with sword master Kiyoshi Yamasaki
- Conan: From the Vault, an archive compilation of on-set cast and crew interviews
- A Tribute to Basil Poledouris, a series of videos produced by the Úbeda Film Music Festival, including video of Poledouris conducting a concert of music from the film in 2006 (remixed in 5.1 surround) and interviews with collaborators such as Paul Verhoeven and Randal Kleiser
- Rarely-seen electronic press kit from 1982, featuring over half an hour of on-set footage and cast and crew interviews (from a watermarked tape source)
- Outtakes, including a deleted cameo by Milius
- Split-screen "Valeria Battles Spirits" visual effects comparison
- Conan: The Archives, a gallery of photos and production images from 2000
- Conan the Barbarian: The Musical, an affectionate comic tribute to the film by Jon & Al Kaplan
- US and International teaser and theatrical trailers
- Image gallery

image.png

4K ULTRA HD BLU-RAY LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

- Brand new 4K restoration from the original negative by Arrow Films
- 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray (2160p) presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
- Newly restored original mono audio and remixed Dolby Atmos surround audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
- Archive feature commentary by director Richard Fleischer
- Archive feature commentary by actors Olivia d'Abo and Tracey Walter
- Archive feature commentary by actor Sarah Douglas with genre historians Kim Newman & Stephen Jones
- Brand new feature commentary by genre historian Paul M. Sammon, author of Conan: The Phenomenon
- Newly assembled isolated score track in lossless stereo
- Casting the Destroyer, a newly filmed interview with casting director Johanna Ray
- Cut from a Different Cloth, a newly filmed interview with costume designer John Bloomfield
- Dune and the Destroyer, a newly filmed interview with art director Kevin Phipps
- Swords, Sorcery & Stunts, a newly filmed interview with stunt coordinator Vic Armstrong
- Behind the Destroyer, a newly filmed interview with John Walsh, author of Conan the Barbarian: The Official History of the Film
- Conan: The Making of a Comic Book Legend, an archive interview with writers Roy Thomas & Gerry Conway
- Basil Poledouris: Composing the Conan Saga, an archive interview with the composer
- Theatrical trailers
- Image gallery
- Double-sided fold-out poster
- Six double-sided collectors' postcards
- Illustrated collectors' booklet featuring new writing by Walter Chaw and John Walsh, and an archive set report by Paul M. Sammon

image.png

image.png

The street date for all three releases is currently January 16. I'm still astonished that Universal missed the big 40th anniversary for the film in terms of a home video release and limited it to just some screenings of the first film, so Arrow is more than making up for lost time with how stacked the release is for the first film, featuring all three cuts and what sounds like a very substantial extra for Basil Poledouris' iconic work on the film featuring performances of the score in 5.1 surround sound. And while I'm no fan of Destroyer, it is good to see that they're not letting fans of that film (of which there are many!) wither on the vine with what appears to be a very impressive release for that film as well. Perhaps this is what's best in life after all!

How does everyone feel about those HDR labels that get plonked all over the front cover artwork? Couldn't the studios have rather gone for a less intrusive top or bottom banner approach?

27 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

How does everyone feel about those HDR labels that get plonked all over the front cover artwork? Couldn't the studios have rather gone for a less intrusive top or bottom banner approach?

What do you care? You can take them off, can't you?