Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

1 hour ago, Holko said:

IIRC I thought that comedy guy was really miscast as the hero.

Yeah, this is the thing that has kept me from watching this film.

Shouldn't there be a tall handsome guy as the hero?

3 hours ago, Andy said:

It’s an incredibly crafted and one of a kind film. It won’t fill you with feel-goods, but it’s more of a thinking man’s 80s fantasy.   I’ve preordered it. 

Oh, hehe. I had asked that again and totally forgot about it.

What did you order? The 4k or the blu-ray? The steelbook or the regular release?

6 hours ago, Holko said:

It's alright. IIRC I thought that comedy guy was really miscast as the hero.

This was his first movie. After this he was apparently in Sofie's Choice. Not, I gather, a movie of belly laughs. He also played a rather serious role on Numbers.

4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Shouldn't there be a tall handsome guy as the hero?

No. That's kind of the point of the character. He's the least likely hero since Luke Skywalker.

^ Yep.  He's actually perfect in the role.  An uncertain sorcerer predating Willow.

6 hours ago, filmmusic said:

What did you order? The 4k or the blu-ray? The steelbook or the regular release?

I ordered the Steelbook 4K, but I am really irritated that they are now not including the Blu Ray.  First World Problem: I have a Blu Ray projector in my basement but a 4K setup in my living room.  So to have the option to watch it either place I have to buy a separate Blu Ray in addition to the 4K.  I will likely wait for a sale.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

No. That's kind of the point of the character. He's the least likely hero since Luke Skywalker.

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

^ Yep.  He's actually perfect in the role.  An uncertain sorcerer predating Willow.

And notably MacNicol is a passionate fan of film music, he claims to have been the one to recommend North for the job of scoring Dragonslayer.

I really love these Zavvi exclusive 4K steelbooks, but Zavvi unfortunately doesn't ship to Greece! :angryfire: (although it does ship to every other country you could think of). And I can't pay those high prices at ebay!

14199028-1185008886653809.jpg14202065-6425009473053276.jpg14202066-3705009472601191.jpg

On 04/01/2023 at 10:31 PM, filmmusic said:

It's a very well crafted score, but IIRC there is no easily recognisable theme, which I would expect from such a film.

The scene where 

Spoiler

Ulrich climbs the mountain prior to the final confrontation with Vermithrax

has some gorgeous writing reminiscent of the beginning of the final reel of CE3K. I love this score, with all it's dissonance, it's a perfect fit for the tone of the film.

On 04/01/2023 at 10:14 PM, filmmusic said:

Has anyone seen Dragonslayer? I wonder if I should blind buy it. I love 80s fantasy films.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=20777415&postcount=295

81Pi4QkRYYL._SL1000_.jpg

Artwork of the year right there.

image.png

• 1 month later...

All of them have been remastered and SUPERMAN THE MOVIE has been redone again to fix some of the anomalies in the previous 4K edition. I'm glad I didn't buy that one!

11 minutes ago, Amer said:

All of them have been remastered and SUPERMAN THE MOVIE has been redone again to fix some of the anomalies in the previous 4K edition. I'm glad I didn't buy that one!

What anomalies?

Karol

25 minutes ago, crocodile said:

What anomalies?

Karol

Mixed issues such as inconsistent brightness and color timings. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lukethompson/2018/11/12/4k-review-superman-is-still-a-classic-but-the-new-transfer-feels-subdued/?sh=2b0fa1305104

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Is it the theatrical cut of SUPERMAN, or the extended 2000 cut?

Theatrical.

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

Will it have the original sound mix on the 4K?

Didn't previous disc have that?

Suppose I will get this then.

Karol

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Sorry?

This new box hasn't been released yet.

I was asking @Amer how did he know the first movie has been redone.

It’s being reported from capedwonder.com, a pretty good source for all things Superman. 

1 hour ago, rough cut said:

Extended cut of Superman IV is rumored to be released on BD (not 4K) later this year.

Ooh. Source?

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What does it have on it, apart from all the Clive Mantle stuff?

Plenty.

Two Supes vs Nuclear Man fighting around the world scenes that are on the Japanese laserdisc only (and shown theatrically at least in my country) - tornado scene and Moscow scene.

Clark's neighbour's dog (Satan) barks at him on the way to the subway.

Nuclear Man turns into a missile and launches (!)

Clark has a nightmare about Krypton's destruction.

Nightclub scenes before NM1 fight.

Supes takes Jeremy up into the atmosphere and he says it's all just one big world, no borders, etc. aka globalism 80s style.

Lois flies solo, like for a long time, without dropping like a stone.

And some other bits I can't remember.

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yeah, SUPERMAN IV is terrible, but, in a funny way, it's still better than SUPERMAN III.

I have a fondness for SIII, along with Supergirl. You kind of need to just enjoy them both for what they are without engaging your brain. The stuff in SIII with Lana Lang (Annette O'Toole) and Clark is really nice. As much as I dislike Dick Lester's approach to Superman, at least this film is his vision all the way, not the Frankenstein hybrid thing that SII turned into. Silly cheap Salkinds firing Donner and all.

It was on CapedWonder’s Instagram around December last year, when the news about a Superman 4K box set broke.

The info was up for about 5 min, and not in any flashy way, just in the text under a general “Superman 4K” image. Then it disappeared.

Jim Bowers who runs CapedWonder appears to have a good relationship with WB, so I guess they told it to him in confidence but maybe weren’t clear about the rules of engagement regarding this particular piece of news. So I guess they contacted him and asked him to take it down which he promptly did.

Guess they don’t want to dilute the news about the original films being collected in 4K, which I can understand.

There was also more info about the transfers on the original films and that they were being done by “top men” at WB but that seems to be gone as well.

According to zavvi, Superman: the movie 4k (or is it the blu-ray only?), will have a music only audio track.

https://www.zavvi.com/4k/superman-i-iv-4k-ultra-hd-steelbook-collection-includes-blu-ray/14272832.html

I believe this is the first time?

I mean, previous editions had a music only track only in the extended version of the film I think, and not in the theatrical version.

@Jay do you know anything, if Matessino was involved?

On 15/02/2023 at 12:42 PM, rough cut said:

It was on CapedWonder’s Instagram around December last year, when the news about a Superman 4K box set broke.

The info was up for about 5 min, and not in any flashy way, just in the text under a general “Superman 4K” image. Then it disappeared.

If this does end up happening I'll be interested to know how it came to be. There has long been talk that Warner's ordered the print of the longer cut of SIV destroyed after a disastrous test screening and for years nothing surfaced until some shoddy looking deleted scenes popped up on a DVD release in the mid 80s.

These appear to have been sourced from a print used for scoring as they have timing "stripes" (not sure what their correct name would be) burnt in and seem to correspond to scenes that were scored rather than those that weren't (such as the interior night club scenes).

I wonder if other elements have popped up, or if technology now allows the scoring reels to be restored to a watchable state. 

From the Superman Homepage:

"Our own sources indicate that 2023 is set to be a big year for Superman fans when it comes to releases from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment."

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/warner-bros-to-release-christopher-reeve-superman-films-in-4k-uhd/

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

According to zavvi, Superman: the movie 4k (or is it the blu-ray only?), will have a music only audio track.

https://www.zavvi.com/4k/superman-i-iv-4k-ultra-hd-steelbook-collection-includes-blu-ray/14272832.html

I believe this is the first time?

I mean, previous editions had a music only track only in the extended version of the film I think, and not in the theatrical version.

@Jay do you know anything, if Matessino was involved?

I dunno

Sweet film too.  Director Nick Castle (the original Michael Myers actor!) intended the characters and environment to come across, almost as a musical. He has a wonderful fondness for film music, and that certainly comes across in Starfighter.

Hook was originally going to be directed by him for a long time before Spielberg took it over. 

I got to meet him at a convention once, and he was probably the nicest celebrity I’ve ever met.  I remarked about how much I liked (cantina creature/ALIEN concept artist) Ron Cobb’s contributions to Last Starfighter, and he tested up, told me I was one of the only people to ever mention that.  Ron Cobb was very I’ll at the time, and Castle asked if he could send him a pic of me to show that fans were asking about him. 

Anyways, you could do a lot worse than the Last Startfighter. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have bad news for whoever bought or was planning to buy the new 4k Superman box.

According to bluray.com forum, the new disc for the first movie doesn't include the 5.1 original 70mm mix.

Now everyone is trying to track down a copy of the old 2018 disc, that included it.

No…. The 2018 4K disc had it. Just not in a lossless format.

From The Digital Bits:

Spoiler

The studio has also included a new 5.1 Dolby Digital mix that’s meant to replicate the film’s original theatrical audio experience. (It’s my belief that this is sourced from the original 6-track 70 mm audio elements.) This too offers lovely clarity, but it’s far less aggressive and more subtle. The opening credits have the original whispering swoosh sound, that seems to slide in from overhead and from the sides rather than from behind. This is the default audio option when you play the disc.

6 minutes ago, rough cut said:

No…. The 2018 4K disc had it. Just not in a lossless format.

From The Digital Bits:

Hide contents

The studio has also included a new 5.1 Dolby Digital mix that’s meant to replicate the film’s original theatrical audio experience. (It’s my belief that this is sourced from the original 6-track 70 mm audio elements.) This too offers lovely clarity, but it’s far less aggressive and more subtle. The opening credits have the original whispering swoosh sound, that seems to slide in from overhead and from the sides rather than from behind. This is the default audio option when you play the disc.

I'll go look again. When I got my 4K player last fall I couldn't find it.

10 hours ago, filmmusic said:

According to bluray.com forum, the new disc for the first movie doesn't include the 5.1 original 70mm mix.

Now everyone is trying to track down a copy of the old 2018 disc, that included it.

One step forward, two steps sideways.

This release is a comedy of errors.  And we don't even know how WB has managed to mess up II, III, and IV yet.

6 minutes ago, Andy said:

This release is a comedy of errors.  And we don't even know how WB has managed to mess up II, III, and IV yet.

Please tell me anyone could mess up III and IV any further :lol:

Seriously though, I'd love to hear SUPERMAN II with the option for Megasound.