Anyone here succumbed to 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray?

Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Do you own or plan to acquire a UHD Blu-ray capable home cinema system?

• Yes, I do
    • No, 1080p Blu-ray is good enough.
    • No, I'll miss my 3D Blu-ray too much.
    • No, I've only got 720p capability and it looks mighty fine.
    • No, DVD rulez!
    • No, I'm still rocking a Laserdisc player!
    • No, VHS will return (just look at vinyl)!
    • What's UHD Blu-ray?

6 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"LR"?

Little Rock, english for la petite roche named by French explorer Jean-Baptiste Bernard de La Harpe. 

Btw my next purchase will be This Island Earth from scream factory

15 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

Well it was fortunate. In Little Rock on a Friday afternoon at two thirty had the tornado hit could have been bad.  I noticed my 4k set which is supposed tk arrive thursday is in LR now. One of the few times I have triple dipped actually more than that. I had war of the worlds on beta, vhs, Rca video disc, dvd, br, and now 4k

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

"LR"?

Come on man...

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

Picked up a few bits this week.

20230406_082112.jpg

I don't know if you mind such stuff, but there are problems with the Rocky collection.

The first film doesn't include the original audio track, but only the remix.

Also Rocky II is in the wrong audio pitch.

More here:

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/rocky-the-knockout-collection-uhd-review/

• 4 weeks later...

Wonder if the sound track will be an improvement over the OG Blu Ray. Also hoping we get a more extensive collection of deleted scenes, including Bob's Death!

I have to ask: is it worth 4K UHD?

33 minutes ago, Brando said:

Wonder if the sound track will be an improvement over the OG Blu Ray. 

That's why I didn't buy the Blu Ray: the soundtrack is in mono.

34 minutes ago, Brando said:

Also hoping we get a more extensive collection of deleted scenes..Bob's Death!

Who's Bob?

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Who's Bob?

He’s the somewhat dorky teen who hangs with the Mayor’s son.  He originally was going to get killed but I guess they were concerned the body count. 

412C10BE-EC55-4B27-A15C-094A4756D1F2.webp

Photo from the deleted scene.  Didn’t it used to be the avatar for a member here?  I want to say either Omen II or Publicist for some reason. 

anyway, I doubt they’ll include it as they’ve managed not to for laserdisc DVD and regular Blu Ray.

Jaws 2 is a great stupid monster movie. It could’ve used a little more of the blood and visceral action of the first one. Obviously they’d never top the direction and characters of the first film, but there’s a lot to enjoy if I find myself in the mood for it. 

2 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Very much so, but, as JAWS had been remixed in 5.1, I was hoping that JAWS 2 would have had the same treatment.

I like a remix as long as it’s faithful and doesn’t change the sound design.  I don’t care for it when they change the foley or try to modernize the effects by replacement. 

Jaws 2 has one of the coolest shots ever where the cameraman rides the shark cowboy style and we see a POV shot behind the fin. But yes, I surely hope bob's death is included as a bonus feature, and even the actor does as well. He happened to be in a Jaws Facebook group I'm in and I asked him if he remembers filming and he said yes and described everything. That's why the girl in the thumbnail of the video Iinked is screaming wildly during one shot in the finale. Also @Naïve Old Fartyou wouldn't know who Bob is because they cut a scene of the kids introducing themselves. I'm also hoping Jaws: The Revenge's 4K release contains the theatrical cut with the one shot of the shark leaping into the air that you can only see on the AMC version of the movie because that would make that scene even funnier:lol:

Ha I think I’m in that same Jaws 2 Facebook group where every third day someone laments the sad death of Marge and how she was their absolute favorite character. :lol:

That said #releasethebobcut

Wow that’s actually pretty awesome.  There is SO much they could probably do with some of the John Hancock outtakes if they wanted.  I just don’t see the major studios doing much with new features for 4K catalogue titles. 

Yes! Which, I think that FB group had him on a podcast where they discussed his version of the film, I need to give that a listen at some point.

I'm not in that group, I just asked to join however, but in the other group it was announced on March 3rd, but I don't see the video for it anywhere, but this looks cool too! I'll have to download it and listen to it at some point.

17 hours ago, rough cut said:

So this is coming 4 jun ’23.

32FA57FD-7287-43F1-98C2-06F793D4F9F4.jpeg

Cool, I've never actually seen this outside of some bits. I suppose it is a good opportunity to give the score some context. Might boost my enjoyment of it.

Karol

I dunno about that, but I will see every film JW ever scored.  For now, there's still a whopping 45 I have not seen yet!

1. 1958    Daddy-O
  2. 1960    I Passed For White
  3. 1960    Because They're Young
  4. 1961    The Secret Ways
  5. 1961    Bachelor Flat
  6. 1962    Diamond Head
  7. 1963    Gidget Goes To Rome
  8. 1964    The Killers
  9. 1965    None But The Brave
  10. 1965    John Goldfarb, Please Come Home
  11. 1966    The Rare Breed
  12. 1966    The Plainsman
  13. 1966    Not With My Wife, You Don’t!
  14. 1966    Penelope
  15. 1967    A Guide for the Married Man
  16. 1967    Valley of the Dolls
  17. 1967    Fitzwilly
  18. 1968    Heidi
  19. 1969    Daddy’s Gone A-Hunting
  20. 1969    Goodbye, Mr. Chips
  21. 1969    The Reivers
  22. 1970    Story of a Woman
  23. 1970    Jane Eyre
  24. 1972    Pete N Tillie
  25. 1972    The Cowboys
  26. 1972    The Poseidon Adventure
  27. 1973    Tom Sawyer
  28. 1973    The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing
  29. 1973    The Paper Chase
  30. 1973    Cinderella Liberty
  31. 1974    Conrack
  32. 1974    Earthquake
  33. 1974    The Towering Inferno
  34. 1976    Family Plot
  35. 1976    The Missouri Breaks
  36. 1976    Midway
  37. 1977    Black Sunday
  38. 1978    Jaws 2
  39. 1981    Heartbeeps
  40. 1982    Monsignor
  41. 1989    Born On The Fourth of July
  42. 1995    Nixon
  43. 1997    Seven Years In Tibet
  44. 1998    Stepmom
  45. 1999    Angela's Ashes

A very noble and ambitious goal. I just don’t happen to share it.  Out of that list I’ve only seen 5. 

On 04/05/2023 at 7:23 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Very much so, but, as JAWS had been remixed in 5.1, I was hoping that JAWS 2 would have had the same treatment.

I'm afraid you're out of luck again. I think Jaws 2 never had a 5.1 mix in all of its releases, so I didn't expect it here either.

I just hope the mono is good, because I had some problems with it in the blu-ray. Constant pops here and there.

image.png

I don’t mind a reinterpretation or that a studio commissions new art… but the concept here is particularly bad. What is the point of view exactly, from inside the mouth of the shark looking out, but why and how? And if you don’t know the original poster/movie, is it really clear that she is waterskiing?

Edit: Speaking of new art, here’s True Lies to be released 31st October (same as The Abyss).

A611CA2C-7829-48BE-A294-3CAB586F938C.jpeg

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

Speaking of new art, here’s True Lies to be released 31st October (same as The Abyss).

again, source? These look too good to be true.

4 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Front cover. (why don't they just stick to original posters?!)

Op6z82y.png

Geez Louise, is that for real?!

Anyway, the waterskier who gets eaten doesn't wear a bikini, she wears a one-piece.

To be fair she has a bikini in the original poster art too, but yeah that stinks.  But the steelbook people will devour it. 

Speaking of steelbook, I canceled my Superman Steelbook box set preorder. Too many disappointments with it and I don’t feel like spending $150 on it for a flawed lazy product.  I’ll wait for the standard edition to go cheap. 

The original film had a brand new remaster done according to expert Jim Bowers of Caped Wonder.  It’s not on the set. Worse, they removed the 6 channel original audio from the previous release of the 4K.  No Directors cut of STM.  Quest For Peace has the wrong music takes in the Atmos mix.  The accompanying Blu Rays are not the new scans, but the old discs.  There is warbling in The Superman II audio.  The flesh tones of Superman II are curiously brownish.  The Fleisher cartoons are not remastered, when they are just now releasing those in HD (also extremely flawed according to Bill Hunt if the digital bits). 

The big one for me is the first film. Its 4K release was very dark and questionable, especially the Krypton scenes.  Word was, they were remastering to correct that, but that’s not what we’re getting here. 

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Not to make anyone jealous, or anything, but watching SUPERMAN in 70mm, and 6-track magnetic at the ABC 1, Shaftesbury Avenue, in December, 1978, was fucking mind-blowing! :)

People cheered, as the main titles flew over their heads.

It might just be the happiest time I've ever spent, watching a film.

I wasn't even born. How old were you then?

Just found our about these:

(I hate it when they "fix" errors for the UHD releases)

Saving Private Ryan

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=15109753&postcount=1220

Close Encounters of the third kind

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=14115938&postcount=378

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Front cover. (why don't they just stick to original posters?!)

Op6z82y.png

Wait is this real? I saw this on Facebook and it was captioned as fan art.

I’m not sure but the point of view is that of the two scuba divers the shark ate earlier in the film.  They’re yelling to her to ski faster, but alas she can’t hear them.