Movies you should see but probably haven’t

rough cut

25 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Hard Rain (1998) IMDb

Totally a classic as pointed out before.

Really? Huh. I remember seeing the trailers. That was kind of the trickling out tail end of Slater's movie star career. I think they showed the trailer before the Star Wars special editions. Then I never heard of it again.

Classic, huh? I'm intrigued.

Yup. Genuine classic. No bias at all, simply because I enjoy a certainty category of movies of the “Deep Blue Sea”-genre. Nope. No sir, not here.

Hrm, yes… well. There it is. A classic. As Thor said. ;)

But it’s a fun pic to watch, so much so that I even tracked down an old OOP BD so I can watch it whenever I want. God bless technology.

I watched Hard Rain in cinema, when it came out. And the only reason I did so was because of Christopher Young, because he and his music was the hottest shit around in motion picture scores at that time. I remember the movie being ok, but nothing really special.

Score was glamorous as expected.

Some movies that according to cinephiles on the internet are classics but I never saw nor have any interest on seeing it:

• Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019) - Seems mind-numbingly, excruciatingly boring.
  • Jeanne Dielman (1975) - Ditto.
  • Taste of Cherry (1997) - :sleepy:
  • Battleship Potemkin (1925) - Communist propaganda from the 1920s? Really?
  • Wild Strawberries (1957) - I'd rather eat actual strawberries, please.
  • Fanny and Alexander (1982) - Four hours of two children being abused, oh yeah, fun and wholesome entertainment for a Saturday night!
  • L'avventura (1960) - Are Finn the Human and Jake the Dog in it? No? So meh.
  • Man with a Movie Camera (1929) - Seems only bearable if you're a Cinema student and want to understand the techniques and history and blablabla...
  • The Passion of Joan of Arc (1927) - Ditto.
  • 8 1/² - Zzzzzzz

Source: https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/directors-100-greatest-films-all-time

Apart from L'Avventura (which doesn't do much for me),  (which I don't like as much as Fellini's earlier films) and The Passion of Joan of Arc (which I don't like as much as Dreyer's later ones), I love all of those!

I love Fanny and Alexander.

I usually play the first episode of the TV version, around Christmas. It can stand on its own as a Christmas film.

I've seen L'avventura, don't remember much, but I remember I kind of liked the mystery of the first part of the film, but was a bit bored in the second part.

Haven't seen the others.

One film I do recommend is Dino Risi's Il Sorpasso.

I watch it every summer. It's a quintessential road movie with Vittorio Gasman in a great role.

Synopsis from imdb:

An impulsive braggart takes a shy law student with him for a two-day road trip from Rome to Tuscany.

I have the Criterion edition

HrfTWPnllatTkm1Npqwr0o4Jslre1h_original.

but I see Radiance in UK will release a new 4k restoration in August (along with 2 other Risi films).

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

• Fanny and Alexander (1982) - Four hours of two children being abused, oh yeah, fun and wholesome entertainment for a Saturday night!

Seems pretty mild compared to what happens in Avengers: Infinity War.

Anyway, I have not seen it. I bought the DVD during the heyday of DVD but the IQ quality was so bad that I stopped watching after 5 minutes. 

16 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Some movies that according to cinephiles on the internet are classics but I never saw nor have any interest on seeing it:

• Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2019) - Seems mind-numbingly, excruciatingly boring.
  • Man with a Movie Camera (1929) - Seems only bearable if you're a Cinema student and want to understand the techniques and history and blablabla...
  • 8 1/² - Zzzzzzz

Source: https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/directors-100-greatest-films-all-time

A lot of films on this list (and many such lists) are there because at the time they did something new and groundbreaking. They’re considered among the “greatest” of all time b/c they were innovative. Or they have some special historical or cultural significance. Many were incredibly influential, but almost all have had whatever made them innovative done better in subsequent films over the years.

Which is all fine, historical impact and artistic influence is a legitimate way to evaluate a film. There’s absolutely value in doing something first. Doesn’t necessarily mean the film stands the test of time and is an enjoyable cinematic experience today. Some films are, certainly, and among my favourites. Others are best left to students and aficionados.

To be clear, I’m not saying such films aren’t “great” (whatever that means in this context) nor that there’s anything wrong with enjoying them. If you feel like kicking back and enjoying Fanny and Alexander, great. You do you. But I do I think the suggestion that there’s any special reason to seek these films out, or that you’re somehow cinematically illiterate if you don’t, is a little pretentious.

TLDR: It turns out actually, no, I don’t need to see “Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai Du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles”  before I die.

12 hours ago, Edmilson said:

• 8 1/² - Zzzzzzz

Portrait: I have to see it, i just wish it wasn't in French. Unfortunately, lesbian cinema suffers from a series of... tropes. I think we deserve better, but i shouldn't pass this judgement over the ones I haven't seen.

Battleship: I saw this as a child and I liked it.

Joan of Arc: perhaps i should see it

what's L'avventura?

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

I’d like to see Joan of Arc from 1948 starting Ingrid Bergman.

Has anyone here seen it? Any good?

IMG_6689.jpeg

It's pretty good. It has that stagey feel many Hollywood epics of the day had. If you've seen the Oliver Henry V, for example, you'll know what I'm talking about...i.e. at times you'll feel you're watching a stage production. Which makes sense b/c this is actually an adaptation of the stage play. If you can get past that, and enjoy historical epics, I'd say it's worth a watch.

19 minutes ago, Nick1Ø66 said:

If you've seen the Oliver Henry V

oh that's the one with the EPIC realistic costumes that they copied entirely from some collection! (why is why they belong in a different time period, but they rule)

17 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Yes, I was disappointed too. But Sciamma is a favourite otherwise. All her other films are great, IMO, my favourite being her debut WATER LILIES (TOMBOY, GIRLHOOD and PETITE MAMAN are also excellent!). Nobody does growing up movies as well as her these days, except maybe Spielberg and Moodyson (and occasionally Linklater).

Suppose I should finally see it now that it's being ranked the no. 1 film of all time, but the three and a half hours need some mental preparation.

Slow, but great film. One of the best of the 90s. Kierostami was a master of the "loaded image".

Watch it for Eisenstein's montage style. Some pretty awesome setpieces. And great use of Shostakovich (in the version I prefer).

Not a big Bergman fan, but I absolutely adore WILD STRAWBERRIES. One of his most down-to-earth, poetic films that for once uses space to say something rather than inter-personal intrigue. The best film about nostalgia and getting old?

Gorgeous film/TV series, far warmer than what you describe!

Antonioni is one of my favourite directors, seen all of his work (including the shorts and docus). While L'AVVENTURA is marvelous, it's not actually my favourite of his. No. 1 is PROFESSIONE: REPORTER (Jack in one of his most understated roles; wish Antonioni had done more thrillers), followed by IL DESERTO ROSSO.

Perhaps, but there's nothing wrong with that. Learning is good. It's also a totally absorbing film.

One of the most emotional silent films I've seen, so this goes beyond cinema student obligations, IMO.

• 8 1/² - Zzzzzzz

Never liked Fellini much, so in this case I'm prone to agree.

In short, almost all of the films you mentioned are great and deserved reference points in film history. That's not to say one MUST see them and like them, however. But I've always believed that a healthy mix of Hollywood blockbusters and alternative/arthouse cinema is good for one's soul.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

WATER LILIES (TOMBOY,

someone special made me watch those but i remember nothing

curious about 20000 SPECIES OF BEES which is about a little trans girl, but i don't expect cis filmmakers to get much out of the topic

"Films I like that nobody else does," boy, that's a long list. Here are a few.

Superman Returns - makes a great third part of a trilogy, really beautiful moments in this film

X-Men 3 - Is it a good adaptation of the comics? Not really, but it does a lot of great stuff. Magneto has some great moments in this film, and the moment Logan has to kill Jean to save everyone is genuinely heartbreaking. Kelsey Grammar as Beast was inspired casting.

Adventures of TinTin - Everyone around here dumps on this film, but I find it delightful. Andy Serkis has some great moments and lines. And a great score.

Mortal Engines - If CG had existed in the 80's, this is the kind of weird pulpy comic book movie George Lucas would have produced. In many ways, Peter Jackson is the new George Lucas. 17% on rotten tomatoes? I will never understand film critics

Quantum of Solace - A weird little art movie masquerading as a Bond Film. I don't know if it's good, or not, but I like it.

The Star Wars prequels - I love these movies. AotC is un-ironically my favorite SW film. They add so much depth to the saga. I get why people might not like them, but I think they're brilliant pieces of profound visual storytelling. 

"movies people like that I don't"

Star Trek 09 - I will quote Roger Ebert, "the Gene Roddenberry years, when stories might play with questions of science, ideals or philosophy, have been replaced by stories reduced to loud and colorful action."

The Power of the Dog - I hate this movie with every fiber of my being. It treats it's audience like dullards, it's a mis-cast, mis-shot, mis-scored, dour waste of time, and I'd rather eat tree bark than ever watch it again. For the record, my issues with are purely cinematic and the script, not the message it's trying (so, so hard) to deliver.

Titanic - I've never cared for DiCaprio, and he gets acted in circles by Kate Winslet in this film. Cameron's worst tendencies as a writer are present here.

Fast Five and up - I like the first one, and the next two are so stupid they become good. I liked it when it was about cars. They can go to space all they want, but a shotgun wielding truck driver will always be the best that series could do.

The Force Awakens - JJ Abrams was a mistake.

3 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

Quantum of Solace

I haven't seen it in 14 years, but IIRC every moment with Craig is amazing. It's not a good movie and it's got terrible Bourne envy, but Bond in grief for Vesper is like the follow up to OHMSS that we never got.

3 minutes ago, Schilkeman said:

"movies people like that I don't"

I missed the turn here.

3 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

The Power of the Dog - I hate this movie with every fiber of my being. It treats it's audience like dullards, it's a mis-cast, mis-shot, mis-scored, dour waste of time, and I'd rather eat tree bark than ever watch it again. For the record, my issues with are purely cinematic and the script, not the message it's trying (so, so hard) to deliver.

I want to see this badly (I Love Campion's The Piano), but I'm put off by comments like this. Apparently people love it or hate it. I see more hate it, to be honest.

On the other hand, you didn't like Titanic, which is one of my favorite films.

Decisions...

Some movies that I like and other people don't:

Avengers: Age of Ultron - In The Avengers (2012), we see a superhero team being formed. In Civil War, we see it disintegrate. In Infinity War, the fractured heroes try their best, but they aren't sufficiently united to stop a common threat. Then, in Endgame, we see they forming the team again (along with every other character in the MCU) for the final battle, which leaves the team pretty much without its core heroes that first banded together in 2012.

But after the first time they assemble, in Age of Ultron we have the opportunity to see the core Avengers together once again, the last time before the fracture. And that's what I love about this movie: it's a self-contained Avengers adventure, without the burden of other numerous MCU movies. 

In a perfect world, we'd get at least a few more self-contained Avengers movies with the main team before the final battle against Thanos. But I understand that cinema is not like comics and can't afford to waste time with fillers. It'd be kinda like more SW movies after ANH and before ESB of the characters fighting the Empire in stories that begin and end in the same movie.

Still, I'm glad we got to see the Avengers united before their Civil War. I'm a sucker for stories (not just movies) of teams of heroes with different powers and habilities fighting together.

Monsters University - I LOVE Monsters Inc, it's one of my favorite movies, animated or not, of all time. The prequel is not as great (few animations are), but it's still a lot of fun. I loved seeing Mike and Sully starting as rivals and slowly building their friendship throughout the movie.

Should've been Oscar nominated in 2013 and not the overly childish Despicable Me 2.

35 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Some movies that I like and other people don't:

Avengers: Age of Ultron - In The Avengers (2012), we see a superhero team being formed. In Civil War, we see it disintegrate. In Infinity War, the fractured heroes try their best, but they aren't sufficiently united to stop a common threat. Then, in Endgame, we see they forming the team again (along with every other character in the MCU) for the final battle, which leaves the team pretty much without its core heroes that first banded together in 2012.

But after the first time they assemble, in Age of Ultron we have the opportunity to see the core Avengers together once again, the last time before the fracture. And that's what I love about this movie: it's a self-contained Avengers adventure, without the burden of other numerous MCU movies. 

In a perfect world, we'd get at least a few more self-contained Avengers movies with the main team before the final battle against Thanos. But I understand that cinema is not like comics and can't afford to waste time with fillers. It'd be kinda like more SW movies after ANH and before ESB of the characters fighting the Empire in stories that begin and end in the same movie.

Still, I'm glad we got to see the Avengers united before their Civil War. I'm a sucker for stories (not just movies) of teams of heroes with different powers and habilities fighting together.

Monsters University - I LOVE Monsters Inc, it's one of my favorite movies, animated or not, of all time. The prequel is not as great (few animations are), but it's still a lot of fun. I loved seeing Mike and Sully starting as rivals and slowly building their friendship throughout the movie.

Should've been Oscar nominated in 2013 and not the overly childish Despicable Me 2.

I agree that Age of Ultron is very underrated. I never really understood why people disliked it. It is everything a marvel movie should be. I think it could have been even better if some scenes hadn't been cut (like the visions for instance). Ultron is a cool villain and we get to spend a lot of time with the avengers team. I just wish that there had been a bit more stuff about Hydra and the consequences of Cap 2 shown because that is one of my favorite storylines in the MCU.

The weird part is that SHIELD kinda gets ressurrected in Age of Ultron ("this is what SHIELD is meant to be", Cap says after the helicarrier appears to save everyone during the final battle), but then they're kinda forgotten on the next movies.

I think their return would've been a plot point in Agents of SHIELD, but then the show and the rest of the MCU went in different directions. 

IIRC, we don't hear about SHIELD again until Captain Marvel (which is a prequel) and Spiderman: Far from Home (where Mysterio fools them). 

14 minutes ago, Jay said:

I've always thought that Iron Man 2 and Age of Ultron were underrated.  Seem to always be on the bottom of poeple's lists but they both have so much stuff I like.

In general my biggest niggle with the MCU is how quickly they tore down everything they built up.  Winter Soldier is a great movie but its also kind of a bummer that SHIELD gets destroyed only 2 years after its introduced.  And then Civil War fractures the team after they barely had one movie together, etc.

I agree about Iron Man 2! It has some great stuff with character development for Tony (anything with Tony's parents is always good) and the introduction of Natacha plus SHIELD is introduced.

Cap 2 is one of the best MCU movies IMO but I agree that it would have been nice to have seen SHIELD in action for a few more movies before the HYDRA conspiracy was revealed. SHIELD kind of exists and is led by Nick Fury and Maria Hill in Ultron and Far From Home but it's not really explained. I hope that this is clarified in Secret Wars. I think they couldn't do too many movies where the team just works together or SHIELD just works before they introduce the big storylines like HYDRA and Civil War but it would definitively have been nice to get more of that. 

A show about SHIELD taking place either during the MCU phase 1-3 or as I suggested in another thread, a show about SHIELD starring Peggy Carter set earlier in time would be really cool. Disney released so many shows so it would make sense to do one about SHIELD.

Hey good point, it will be interesting to see if Secret Wars can give me the SHIELD content I had been hoping for

I wonder if the powers that be regret killing of Coulson too, I liked that that guy

I love Age of Ultron. We just watched it a few weeks ago. Ultron is probably my favorite MCU villain. It's not as good as Infinity War / Endgame, but it might be better than The Avengers.

I thought Nat and Bruce worked and was sorry to see that chucked. It was also nice to see Steve actually kind of settled. And it's got my favorite Stan Lee cameo ever.

38 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I think their return would've been a plot point in Agents of SHIELD, but then the show and the rest of the MCU went in different directions. 

Actually in AoS we find out that Fury's reference to "a few old friends" putting the helicarrier together was Phil Coulson and his team.

The coolest movie / TV show crossover ever was when Agents of SHIELD ended one week leading into Cap 2 and then next week picked up right after it. They never pulled anything like that off ever again, sadly. There would be off hand references to things like Peggy Carter's funeral. But nothing so direct. Well, other than the helicarrier.

I'm still convinced that they were foreshadowing Thor 3 with Lady Sif unknowingly doing Odin's bidding. But then Waititi came along and ditched all of it.

8 hours ago, filmmusic said:

On the other hand, you didn't like Titanic, which is one of my favorite films.

I also like Crystal Skull. I swear I'm not a hipster lol, my taste just seems to veer from the norm. Feel free to disagree. You do you.