am i the only one who likes "asteroid field"...

indyhollyh2

Man. I love that song. Everytime I hear it (from empire strikes back) i go nuts. For some reason, that is the greatest song of all time to me. Weird, but its fine.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of JWs greatest action cues, and he's written a lot of great ones. No recording of it has even come close to the Original Film Version.

Jeff - Who also hates it when people refer to score tracks/cues as "songs". :fouetaa:

:P The Asteroid Field!

I think a more appropriate question would be, "am i the only one that likes 'Attack Position'?" I love this cue, when Han flies directly at the Star Destroyer but then hides behind it. Its never been performed outside of the movie (to my knowledge) and is just as exciting as the Asteroid Field, but sadly much shorter.

"The Asteroid Field" is my favorite JW track of all time, and it works (for me anyway) because of the great orchestration and harmonic progression. Be sure to check out my transcription of its theme on my website http://themes.jw-music.net/

its great stuff.

and a wonderful song :P

and the Meco version is awesome

Jeff - Who also hates it when people refer to score tracks/cues as "songs".   :P  

This Jeff hates it, too, especially when they say it all the time on starwars.com when describing cues like "Binary Sunset" or something.

Who also hates it when people refer to score tracks/cues as "songs".

Yeah, that's a pet peeve of mine.

I love the Asteroid Field too, including the concert version.

Ray Barnsbury

I do hate the term "song" too. IMO, "Somewhere in my memory" and other HA songs are not even songs.

And Asteroid Field was my favorite SW cue (when my only SW CD was the Varujan Kojian one)

A song contains words. Therefore, any piece of music cannot be called a song. Now not all pieces of music can be called songs either, but that is much more tolerable than calling an instrumental piece a "song".

Yes, I don't see how people can do it since "song" so blatantly implies "sing." But I think this dead horse has been beaten enough.

Ray Barnsbury

This thread is as useless as "Am I the only one who likes John Williams?"

Justin -Wondering if there is a soul here to DOESN'T like Asteroid Field. :)

Of the fans who own ESB soundtrack or any compilation containing this track (or are familiar with the movie), there may really be very few who don't like it. But among circa 500 users registered here, I wouldn't be surprised to learn some don't know what in Universe is the thing we are talking about here...

I love this cue, when Han flies directly at the Star Destroyer but then hides behind it.

I love all those short bits of space action music, particularly the one in the first score track on disc #2 of the SE release.

Regarding The Asteroid Field, of course it's great and one of his best. I have to say though that I enjoy the Skywalker Symphony recording just as much as the OST. It's not as harsh, but more balanced. Of course, it's missing the great introduction...

Marian - who got a shock when he saw Courage's Trek fanfare credited as a song in the Nemesis end credits.

I love that song too. :)

Yeah, it's a great cue. Gerhardt's recording of it is particularly amazing.  

First time I heard TESB was his version, that track was like the best thing I heard up till then.

I think a more appropriate question would be, "am i the only one that likes 'Attack Position'?"

No, that is a really exciting cue.

I'd take "Rescue from Cloud City/Hyperspace" over "Asteroid Field" anyday. "Asteroid Field" is a fine piece of music, don't get me wrong, but it's just not as good.

A song contains words. Therefore, any piece of music cannot be called a song. Now not all pieces of music can be called songs either, but that is much more tolerable than calling an instrumental piece a "song".

What should you call it then?

Im such a newbie.

Williams stated in an interview that this is one of the tracks that stand out on his memory from the original trilogy.

I wouldn't doubt he said that. Asteroid Field is probably the most memorable action piece of all SW music for me. In fact, it was the only cue I was able to hum along with, note for note, from beginning to end, when I bought my TESB SE score on CD a few years ago -- and I hadn't heard it since my original soundtrack on cassette wore down way back in the early '80s!

What should you call it then?

Im such a newbie.

"Track" or "cue".

Neil

Hmmm, question. Don't these soundtrack editors sometimes use different cues to make one track? Is it not so that a cue can be a part of a complete track?

Think about this and correct me if I'm bogus. I too might be pushing it bit far.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I think a more appropriate question would be, "am I the only one that likes 'Attack Position'?"  

YES!!! This is one of my favourite cues in all of the Star Wars movies. To me, it is the very definition of "thrilling". My only regret is that it could have been a little longer, but it still knocks my socks off ever time. :wave:

CYPHER

Mynock Cave. I rememeber buying the 4 disc anthology for that cue and not finding it. It's one of the best on ESB. :wave:

Justin -Who loves the brassy ending.

Hmmm, question. Don't these soundtrack editors sometimes use different cues to make one track? Is it not so that a cue can be a part of a complete track?  

Think about this and correct me if I'm bogus. I too might be pushing it bit far.

Question rephrased for a clearer view: Don't these soundtrack editors sometimes use different cues to make one cue?

Although I think "cue" is the appropriate word, it might be more context- related then the word "track".

----------------

Alex Cremers

Luke, they could use more then just the concert works.

Possible Gerhardt preferred it, or Williams did.

now, why doesnt Williams released a boxset callled SW concert works?

Hmmm...he's done plenty of recording os his SW concert themes.

Stefancos- who considers the Gerhardt recordings definitive Star wars re-recordings

Stefancos- who also partial to the Utah Symphony Orchestra version.

I used this track from the LP to set up the recording levels on my CD-R recorder. This recording has a bass drum the size of Utah in it. :wave: It's also a thrilling performance.

Neil

Stefancos- who considers the Gerhardt recordings definitive Star wars re-recordings

:wave: Absolutely! Only comment I would make is 'Final Battle' is too slow IMO, lacking the percussive 'Holst's Mars' accent at the finale. I know others disagree.

-Tim

I love Asteroid Field, I have studied many times. I only regret that in the concert version, which is played more frequently, Williams removed the first part, which I miss, not only for the great Vader Theme, but for that absoletely amazing rapid, violent, frantic, virtusistic strings that separate the first and second expositions of Vader's theme. It is just a 'transitional' passage, but man, how Williams can come up with these?

Did he removed it not only because it has another theme (Vader's) but also because is too difficult to play? I wonder.

The Asteroid Field is one of those great tracks. And it works so well in the movie, specially when the fanfare comes up and the TIE Fighter crashes into the asteroid.

Romaõ, who also prefers the Gerhart version.

Did he removed it not only because it has another theme (Vader's) but also because is too difficult to play? I wonder.

My guess would be that "The Imperial March" is played in the concert suite and he didn't want it to appear again in the suite.

Neil

My guess would be that "The Imperial March" is played in the concert suite and he didn't want it to appear again in the suite.

Neil

:baaa: I love that transition. I want to get my hands on the score. I want to see the orchestra going nuts playing it...

I don't like the concert version that much(the intro and ending are kinda lame and the tempo not quite right on any version),the OST cue is much better.

K.M.

Marian wrote:

I have to say though that I enjoy the Skywalker Symphony recording just as much as the OST. It's not as harsh, but more balanced. Of course, it's missing the great introduction...

Some people don't like the Skywalker Symphony recording because of its clinic performance and sterile sound and therefore lacking in emotion and shere excitement. I'm not one of those people. John Williams and George Lucas should return to the same concept and do: THE STAR WARS TRILOGY PART TWO. Plain and simple as that.

PS. Sounds like a new topic. Star Wars Trilogy part Two .Which themes would you choose?

Or am I too late?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Duel of Fates

Anakin's Theme

Flag Parade

Jar Jar's Theme

Trade Federation Concert Suite

Qui-Gon's Funeral

Across the Stars

Zam the Assassin (a concert suite, shorter, comprising the first 5 minutes and so of the track, kinda like The Forest Battle from ROTJ)

Anakin's Confession

The Arena

Confrontation with Count Dooku and Finale

so far, and just off the top of my head....

Duel Of The Fates (Orchestral version)

Flag Parade (concert suite)

Quin Gon's Theme

Anakin's Theme,

yaeh i'd love a concertised Chase through C too

Accross the Stars...with teh end credits ending with Anakin's and Darths Theme,

1-The Force Theme

2-Han Solo and the Princess

3-Gui-Gon's Theme

4-DotF instrumental

5-The Trade Federation March

4-The Battle of Naboo( re-recording of the music as originally written for the movie)

5-AotC Finale and End Credits(Original Version Finale)

6-Darth Sidious Theme

new recordings of Across the Stars and Anakin's theme would sound exactly the same as the OST.

K.M.

ONLY ONE WHO LIKES IT!?!?!?! :|

THE HELL???

That is like one of John Williams favorite cues of all time.

BTW was there any music to the asteroid chase in AOTC??

I thought that didn't have any music (at least a large portion of it) based on my memory.

I only remember Boba saying something like: Get him, dad!!!. I thought that was kinda funny.

----------------

Alex Cremers