Benjamin Wallfisch's THE FLASH (2023)

Matt C

I am listening to this. Some more wondrous passages sound like something from The Matrix. I like some of the goofy electronic stuff. There are some nice variations on Elfman's Batman theme in there. Which, fortunately or unfortunately, so far seems like the most distinctive feature. Funnily enough, Wallfisch seems more comfortable using it than Elfman himself in his Justice League. Will see the movie tomorrow and see how I feel about it then. So far, I don't dislike it but I'm also far from loving it. I hope to find bit more musical threads to follow, think I can spot another that recurs every now and then. Think it might be the Flash theme?

Karol

So would the film’s main theme be considered “Run” Or “Worlds Collide”? I know a lot of people are saying that it’s Wallfisch’s quoting of the Danny Elfman Batman theme……..but I don’t accept that because this is a FLASH movie and not a Batman movie………so is Run the ACTUAL Flash theme?

On 16/06/2023 at 10:16 PM, crocodile said:

I am listening to this. Some more wondrous passages sound like something from The Matrix. I like some of the goofy electronic stuff. There are some nice variations on Elfman's Batman theme in there. Which, fortunately or unfortunately, so far seems like the most distinctive feature. Funnily enough, Wallfisch seems more comfortable using it than Elfman himself in his Justice League. Will see the movie tomorrow and see how I feel about it then. So far, I don't dislike it but I'm also far from loving it. I hope to find bit more musical threads to follow, think I can spot another that recurs every now and then. Think it might be the Flash theme?

Karol

I don't need themes absolutely in scores, and this is a good example. I'm liking it.

And I agree that the Batman theme sounds better here than in Elfman's own JL.

You’re making me want to listen to it.

I really like Wallfisch’s Shazam! theme, even though it’s a little uninventive to my taste, solely building on great orchestration, but I like it nonetheless. But the overall score felt a little meh for me. So I was initially reluctant to listen to THE FLASH after hearing a cue with yet again bombastic orchestration and an obligatory choir. 

But now that you’re saying it’s good, I’ll give it a try. I gave THE BATMAN a try too after reading so many praises about it, but I just couldn’t make myself like that score. Maybe this time it’ll be different. If only for hearing Elfman’s Batman theme which is one of my all-time

favorite themes. 

51 minutes ago, TolkienSS said:

The Batman in my opinion is really overblown. Much of Giacchino's big Blockbuster scores sound to me like an attempt to write serious music in the tradition of Williams and Co without the knowledge how to do that.

Agreed.

2 minutes ago, thestat said:

There is just an amazing amount of high-pitched woodwinds in this (my absolute favourite sound in the world)

What are some JW cues that use these well?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

What are some JW cues that use these well?

Well, pretty much all modern JW action cues use piccolo which are high pitched winds.

This score has the same sort of organic, textural reference to and understanding of franchises that McCreary's Godzilla score has - a full command of the sound palette, orchestrational flourishes, references, modern idioms, brilliant melodies,  'production' as well as Don Davis and Elliot Goldenthal as the key reference points:

I don't know -  Bear's work is astonishing. Thank you Adams and Davis and Goldenthal.

One of the beauties here is that I don't have to know the narrative or story, the bombast of the composer will bring it over

• 1 month later...

Thanks to the recording sessions video posted on the Watertower Music YouTube channel (here), we have our first reel/part number for this great score: 9M123B Multiverse (at least I think it's "Multiverse", the mic is on the way of the last letters).

image.png

And geez, if Worlds Collide is cue 123, then the score probably had, like, 135-140 cues total.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/8/2023 at 1:01 AM, Edmilson said:

Thanks to the recording sessions video posted on the Watertower Music YouTube channel (here), we have our first reel/part number for this great score: 9M123B Multiverse (at least I think it's "Multiverse", the mic is on the way of the last letters).

image.png

And geez, if Worlds Collide is cue 123, then the score probably had, like, 135-140 cues total.

You're absolutely right. All the cues have been available on GEMA repertory for a while. There are around 140-145 cues in total. 

1 hour ago, Jaaaackified said:

You're absolutely right. All the cues have been available on GEMA repertory for a while. There are around 140-145 cues in total. 

Interesting. It'd be great if someone posted the cues here in the forum.

• 1 month later...

I asked Diggers Factory for an update as I pre-ordered the CD album on the 1st of June. It was supposed to ship in August. This is their response.

Hello,

Thank you for your purchase!
Your The Flash (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - CD - Benjamin Wallfisch vinyl is currently awaiting production. You will receive the CD in December according to our estimation. August was our first estimation but it change, as it is a preorder campaign.

You will receive emails to inform you of your order status evolution.

Thank you for your patience and support.
Best regards,

Karol