Bernard Herrmann's THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH & ON DANGEROUS GROUND - Intrada Records 2022 Kickstarter

Jay

19 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

The fact that it’s not from (sometimes quite scratchy sounding) mono acetate discs? I take it you don’t even have the FSM or you wouldn’t ask. They literally apologize for the sound quality on their product page! (I’m still grateful to have the original performance under Herrmann’s baton release, to be sure.)

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/281/On-Dangerous-Ground/

Then buy the FSM and see what you think.

Have you… not heard any previous albums of William Stromberg conducting Herrmann? He conducts Herrmann better than Herrmann did. (And WAY better than Herrmann did when he re-recorded his own material, IMO.)

Mysterious Island is my #1 favorite Herrmann score that I grew up with in the movie since childhood, so I know all the original performance nuances. But the Tribute Film Classics recording under Stromberg’s baton is a candidate for greatest re-recording of all time, and I prefer it even performance-wise (not just sound quality-wise) to the film.

Yavar

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

It’s got much more variety than the average Herrmann score. If you find it too repetitive you must not like much Herrmann at all (at least in complete form).

Yavar

I have the Stromberg version of the Mysterious Island and I have to admit it's one of Hermann's score I have a harder time to listen in its entirety. It is indeed more repetitive than many of his other scores.

But I agree with you. I actually much prefer the re-recordings of most Hermann's scores. He definitely wasn't the best conductor of his own work. and the recording and mixing quality of a lot of the originals are pretty poor in my opinion.

Some of my favorite re-recordings are Mc Neely's The Day the Earth Stood Still, John Dubney's The 7th Voyage of Sinbad and Bruce Broughton's Jason and the Argonauts

The Egyptian and Jane Eyre are also absolutely terrific re-recordings, the best presentation, in my view, of two of my favorite Herrmann scores.  I wish Stromberg would also re-record Journey to the Centre of the Earth

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

It’s got much more variety than the average Herrmann score. If you find it too repetitive you must not like much Herrmann at all (at least in complete form).

Yavar

It depends on the kind of repetition. When each short phrase is played twice, I quickly lose interest. 

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It depends on the kind of repetition. When each short phrase is played twice, I quickly lose interest. 

The only Herrmann score that tries my patience is The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad. For that one his main idea is usually played FIVE times in a row (descending each time), and that’s about two times too many for me to handle. 😂 

I seriously don’t know why so many people love that score because the main theme is so grating and wears out its welcome for me right away. It’s the only time where I heard Herrmann’s repetition and reacted with a mental, “WHAT WAS HE THINKING?!”

Yavar

Well I’m not sure which “verbatim repetitions” are particularly offensive to you in Mysterious Island, but I don’t notice anything remotely out of the ordinary for Herrmann’s usual style. And in the film it works like gangbusters.

Yavar

8 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I’d love to! It’ll have to wait in line after the Rozsa and Poledouris podcasts I’d tackle first, after I finish The Goldsmith Odyssey in 20 years 😂 

Yavar

Any Rozsa or poledouris recommendations?

23 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Well I’m not sure which “verbatim repetitions” are particularly offensive to you in Mysterious Island, but I don’t notice anything remotely out of the ordinary for Herrmann’s usual style. And in the film it works like gangbusters.

Yavar

aabbccdd...

On 28/02/2023 at 9:54 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

The only Herrmann score that tries my patience is The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad. For that one his main idea is usually played FIVE times in a row (descending each time), and that’s about two times too many for me to handle. 😂 

I seriously don’t know why so many people love that score because the main theme is so grating and wears out its welcome for me right away. It’s the only time where I heard Herrmann’s repetition and reacted with a mental, “WHAT WAS HE THINKING?!”

Yavar

Didn't he reuse the famous skeleton fight from a concert piece?  

On 28/02/2023 at 1:53 PM, Jay said:

Oh I wish others had heard the absolutely fantastic Basil Poledouris tribute concert last year.  Special guests included his family (Zoe Poledouris Roche, Alexis Poledouris, Bobbie Poledouris, Angel Roché Jr.), screenwriter/director John Milius, agent: Richard Kraft, Doreen Ringer Ross, Music historian: Jon Burlingame, Robert Kraft, Composers/collaborators: John Debney, John Frizzell, John Ottman, Todd Haberman, Lolita Ritmanis, Curtis Roush, Tom Villano, Dan Carlin, Charles Bernstein.  Plus special appearances from Francis Ford Coppola, Peter Weller, etc.  I'm sure I'm forgetting something.  

The orchestra played for three hours all his greatest hits.  Klendathu Drop, Conan suite, RoboCop, everything.

I really love the music for the attack at the “radio shack,” but yeah, Asteroid Grazing is the best non-action cue for sure.

Oh I dunno, Carmen's Shuttle Ride is probably my favorite non-action cue of the score

That's one where it's kind of shocking he couldn't fit it into the OST somewhere

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh I dunno, Carmen's Shuttle Ride is probably my favorite non-action cue of the score

That's one where it's kind of shocking he couldn't fit it into the OST somewhere

It was middle of the 30 minute Varese era and Starship Troopers allegedly sent them close to bankruptcy. We were lucky to get it released at all but I’m sure there were some tough choices when assembling the original album!

10 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

It was middle of the 30 minute Varese era and Starship Troopers allegedly sent them close to bankruptcy. We were lucky to get it released at all but I’m sure there were some tough choices when assembling the original album!

I know - I'm surprised it wasn't an obvious candidate to be a album-worthy highlight EVEN WHEN limited to 30 minutes.

I'd include it in a 10 minute suite!

It's the balance to all the minor-key dakrness most of the rest of the score contains

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jay said:

Pretty sure that track download is meant to only be for people who supported the kickstarter

I've removed the link, although it is still accessible to the public on Kickstarter - even if you didn't support the campaign!

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, Jay said:

This will be available to order Monday night

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9046

Also Roger provided an update on the kickstarter fulfillments:

Is this going to be available on Tuesday for EVERYone, or just those who funded it?

We will take orders Tuesday for everyone but Kickstarter orders will be fulfilled first. That should take about a week.

Awesome. Can’t wait to hear it!

Is this accessible to the public or only friends of Bill Stromberg?

https://www.facebook.com/589478174/posts/pfbid02HbVeHkUGiM5KCe4yEgzHBMeVMK9psm23oCNCXBjbdJuz6cVa6ckYTEPvx9ycAJr5l/?mibextid=ykz3hl

Hoping other folks can hear this awesomeness…

Yavar

The new performances are great, but something has gone wrong in the mixing process, because there are some very noticable phase issues in the recording (at least in the preview) - especially in the ODG tracks. There's a tinny quality to the mids, which is probably related to the mixing process. Not sure what's happened...

EDIT: it seems like the ODG tracks are the only ones affected by this issue, and it seems that it mainly effects the strings. Potentially has something to do with how this section has been mixed?

Careful with that, didn't it come out that sometimes Intrada fakes these high formats for digital releases?