How has there never been a feature length documentary on John Williams?

Mr. Gitz

20 hours ago, JTW said:

But as much as we, his admirers and fans love his work, most people don’t care about a humble and hardworking film composer’s life. They like his music but that’s it.

Most people don't care about a film composer's life and Williams likely doesn't want the attention. The ESB documentary is the closest I've seen, and that's from a bygone era when his music was the newest thing.

As for the walk of fame, I believe it takes sponsors, a lot of money and other stuff to get one. I can't imagine Williams cares about that either.

It may be hard for more dedicated fans to accept, but you care far more about him and his work than he or most of the world does. You'd probably serve yourself better to focus on enjoying his music rather than lamenting over the lack of the public recognition.

Watched recently the first half episode of Light and Magic and thought, such a format documentary about Williams career and work would be great. The licensing of the footage of all his music and footage might be a nightmare. 

But I guess, you could easily fill ten interesting one hour episodes with that stuff.

And as special for each episode the full length recording session excerpts (If existing). :)

27 minutes ago, karelm said:

I once asked Burlingame about why not write a book or documentary about JW.  It was clear there was interest, but his sobering response was he doubted it would be done during JW's life.  The impression I got was, it was just very low on Johnny's interest based on all the stuff he was working on and in his advanced age, that has become even more true - 

It is not that usual.  I would surmise that most people would not want a documentary about them.  Just like the vast majority of people never write autobiographies, even though anyone can and easily publish it on Amazon or such.  Most of us are self-centered and self-important instinctually (not a moral eval, just a psych one), but when self-reflection and such are involved (essential for a autobiography or such), we tend to not want that part of us to be front and center.  

Either he needs to be interviewed extensively, or someone's got to research, find and licence a lot of archival footage.

I mean, aside from him not being very bothered, I'm guessing that it would be exceptionally expensive.

Also, to put this in a similar musical context, I'd instantly buy a BD of a concert of one of my favourite non-soundtrack artists but I wouldn't buy some fluff 'character portrait' of the band/artist as people. They probably care far more about their work as musicians than they do about telling people about themselves in yet another interview.

If that happens, I would anyway rather expect a documentary about his work and not so much about his private life.

I would be more interested in how he got along with the one or the other director than how it was for him to raise his three children. His professional life is interesting enough, I would say. 

• 3 months later...
43 minutes ago, herunen said:

So agree with all that was said here. One more question for me is why JW didn't receive an honorary oscar for all his work?

Because he has four real ones?

OTOH I just looked up Laurence Olivier and won a slew of them AND picked up a couple of honoraries.