Did anyone else ever hide the fact you listened to film scores or were embarrassed to admit it to friends?

Mr. Gitz

Far from hiding it, I had an acquaintance ask me about the LotR soundtrack a few years ago. Their other half had mentioned wanting the soundtrack for Christmas, and I responded by telling them about the two editions - essentially whether they wanted to hear all three hours of music, or just the 'highlights'.

And several people in my walking group have a 'casual' soundtrack 'collection' or at least know the names of some reasonably prominent composers, such as Gia.

I've never, ever found it an interest to hide or be embarassed about. Nope, if you want to see the real problems with discussing film music, look right here.

There was this thread some time ago:

At least, I think, we can state apartfrom taste, that Williams took more care of his OST presentations than Goldsmith.

And that Goldsmith wasn't best, when he was asked by director's "to do the Williams" with brassy heroic fanfares.  

• 3 months later...

I remember around 1990 - I was 18 or 19 - spotting for the first time Williams Salute to Hollywood CD. I noticed that it had music from The Witches of Eastwick. I had only been really into Williams music for about a year and it was the first time I'd seen any of that music on CD. So I bought it immediately and I was with a friend who was like "Salute to Hollywood"?  WTF?

8 hours ago, Mr. Gitz said:

Whoa. 

Reading all these replies really made me feel not so alone. 

IMG_9986.gif

Music is music!

Why should listening to Horner or Williams be considered less "cultured" an exercise than listening to Humperdinck or Faure?

37 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Music is music!

Why should listening to Horner or Williams be considered less "cultured" an exercise than listening to Humperdinck or Faure?

Because the cool kids don't listen to Horner, Williams, Humperdinck or Faure, they listen to Beyonce, Taylor Swift, Post Maloene and The Weeknd.

Anyway, on one of my first conversations with my most recent crush, I told her I like film music. To explain better the concept, I mentioned John Williams (of course), singing to her the themes for Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Then, I mentioned the Titanic score and sang a bit of the love theme, at first she thought Williams did it :lol: but then I told her it was by another great composer who unfortunately died too early in a plane crash.

If that conversation happened, like, 5 or 10 years ago, I wouldn't even mention Williams and Horner, and instead would do my best to talk about Beyonce and Taylor Swift with her.

43 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Anyway, on one of my first conversations with my most recent crush, I told her I like film music. To explain better the concept, I mentioned John Williams (of course), singing to her the themes

Pffft! For those kinds of conversations, you open with "Das ist Karfreitagszauber, herr" or "Wintersturme wichen den wonnemond" (depending on your voice type) and then you get to Williams. :D

2 hours ago, Brando said:

Glad I'm not the only one who thought of that

To be fair, his rejected score for The Princess Bride had "bias" written all over it.

Constant heroic brass fanfares for when he shows up, and a few cues of dinky solo piccolo noodling for Westley and the other main characters.  It's like he had no idea (or didn't care) what kind of story this was!  They were wise to reject him for Knopfler.