Did anyone else ever hide the fact you listened to film scores or were embarrassed to admit it to friends?

Mr. Gitz

12 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I remember having a conversation with one of my cousins' ex-girlfriends years ago, she asked what I like to do in my free time, and I said "I often like to compose music". Note that I specifically used the word 'compose' instead of 'write', hoping to avoid some confusion. So she enthusiastically replies, "oh, so you're a DJ?"

That's why I do the opposite - I always say I "write" music instead of "compose", because I've found that some people don't really know what the word "compose" means. I think "write" is less ambiguous in indicating that you're "generating" new music in some sense. Usually if they're interested they'll ask something like "Oh, so what music do you write?", whereas I've had people literally ask "What is compose?" ROTFLMAO

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Counterquestion: What does liking film music have to do with embarassment, confessing or coming out?

Actually, nobody cares.

It is all in our heads, I think.

Nobody has ever really reacted negatively or even been that surprised that I listen to film music, especially these days where John Williams or Hans are fairly well known or at least their music is. I had a colleague who endlessly whistled the theme from Pirates of the Caribbean. I listen to film music a lot at work and usually claim that it’s Mahler or Beethoven when actually it’s Frozen or whatever. If I’m feeling mean I’ll rub it in to all the colleagues who have young kids that I get to choose how often I listen to Let it Go…

3 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Counterquestion: What does liking film music have to do with embarassment, confessing or coming out?

Actually, nobody cares.

My train of thought is far more this in recent years. I talk to a lot of people in my walking group, and I've only ever had two responses - either it triggers a conversation about the best soundtracks, or they just move on with a lack of interest. I've never had a 'oh that's just weird' type reaction.... and it's because we're all adults. I'm fairly confident that you could reveal some very 'alternative' interests with this bunch.

In fact my walking friends know me for three things at the moment: I used to do magic, I like instrumental music, and I'm obsessed with Dua Lipa. Not one single person has ever reacted with anything but polite disinterest or fascination with the first two.

Back in school, my niche interests were the cause of a bit of isolation and teasing, but that's kids for you.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Back in school, my niche interests were the cause of a bit of isolation and teasing, but that's kids for you.

Right. But that already happens at that age, when you listen to the wrong pop bands.

I think there is a world of difference between friendly banter between friends or colleagues about musical tastes, and being outright bullied by what kind of music you listen (and I mean not just film scores, there's a lot of kids out there afraid of showing their playlists).

The lesson we can take out of this thread is that everyone's experience with film music is very different. Some don't care about what others would think about them liking "sad violin music from movies", others do. Some didn't have any problem with "coming out" as film music nerds, others did. 

Hmm. Interestingly, I don't feel any sense of embarrassment at all. Actually, everyone in my inner circle knows about my passion for (film) music and it doesn't bother anyone. I even presented my thesis on film music (analysis and comparison of the film music of John Williams and Hans Zimmer) at school two weeks ago, where I really unpacked my nerd knowledge. :)

On 16/07/2022 at 11:20 AM, GerateWohl said:

Actually, nobody cares.

I agree. If I was a type A personality I wouldn't give a hoot what anyone else thinks about my hobby. Regretably I am not though...

2 hours ago, Michael G. said:

Hmm. Interestingly, I don't feel any sense of embarrassment at all. Actually, everyone in my inner circle knows about my passion for (film) music and it doesn't bother anyone. I even presented my thesis on film music (analysis and comparison of the film music of John Williams and Hans Zimmer) at school two weeks ago, where I really unpacked my nerd knowledge. :)

I mean if you're not in an environment where it is socially stigmatized then there would be no reason to feel embarrassment

For me, I didn't care too much, but for social occasions, I had pop music that I liked as well.  But when my college roommates heard what I listened to, they were very accepting and frequently borrowed my CDs of film music.

Isn't it more acceptable nowadays?  I mean it's part of Geek Culture now, which is generally an accepted lifestyle, much more than in the 80s when I was growing up.

4 hours ago, Andy said:

But when my college roommates heard what I listened to, they were very accepting and frequently borrowed my CDs of film music.

That's where I draw the line. No one shall borrow any of my CDs ever again. I've been burned before.

Well, to be specific, this was back before boutique soundtrack labels were a thing.  Every disc I loaned was easily replaceable.  And my roommates were cool.

On 16/07/2022 at 3:21 PM, Richard Penna said:

My train of thought is far more this in recent years. I talk to a lot of people in my walking group, and I've only ever had two responses - either it triggers a conversation about the best soundtracks, or they just move on with a lack of interest. I've never had a 'oh that's just weird' type reaction.... and it's because we're all adults. I'm fairly confident that you could reveal some very 'alternative' interests with this bunch.

In fact my walking friends know me for three things at the moment: I used to do magic, I like instrumental music, and I'm obsessed with Dua Lipa. Not one single person has ever reacted with anything but polite disinterest or fascination with the first two.

exactly

On 15/07/2022 at 12:28 PM, GerateWohl said:

When I saw this thread again this morning, I thought, well, interesting how white males like me search for ways to work themselves up into something to also be able to feel a little discriminated from time to time.

But this here is not really an issue at all.

You're looking at it from the wrong side. It seems to me that bullies and other people in the playground are very good at spotting autism and queer folk, even if they don't know what they're spotting. These are things that can be unknown to the person, which is why the race comment doesn't make sense.

1 minute ago, bruce marshall said:

I never understood why adults  like to do magic- let alone make it a profession.

I put them in the same category as impressionists😅

it's fun

59 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

If soundtracks was the ONLY music you listened to, you would definitely hide this fact.

Pop music was always my first love until middle age

As time goes my interest in other music has increased quite a lot instead of film music

1 hour ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Did anyone else ever hide the fact you were infatuated with Bryce Dallas Howard or were embarrassed to admit it to members of a film score forum?

No, there’s been no infatuation of my part -  but then again, it was about 20+ years between when I started talking/caring about soundtracks and when she entered the mainstream consciousness (JP 4).

1 hour ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Did anyone else ever hide the fact you were infatuated with Bryce Dallas Howard or were embarrassed to admit it to members of a film score forum?

she was always very pretty

" Legitimacy".

??????!!!!!####????😠😳😳😳😳😳😳

God, I wish I could express how I really feel about that comment.

But, forum rules don't allow it.

I'm disappointed Yavar " liked" the above post.😒😣

20 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I can see why...
Yeah, I understand...
Hum, uhum...
Okay, I'm with you.

On 16/07/2022 at 5:20 AM, GerateWohl said:

Actually, nobody cares.

Have you read the answers in this thread? Clearly it's not in our heads.

16 minutes ago, Oswin Pond said:

Have you read the answers in this thread? Clearly it's not in our heads.

I said it before, the reactions and situation described are not specifically rypical for a confession around motion picture soundtracks.

In high school at a certain time I had a Hall and Oates phase while everyone else around me was listening to British independent music like The Smith, Depeche Mode, The Cure, New Model Army, Kissing The Pink, New Order, Sisters of Mercy etc. You should have seen these faces.

So, I personally would exclude that pubertal age for that question when there is anyway a very narrow ground of what is accepted by the majority crowd.

24 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I said it before, the reactions and situation described are not specifically rypical for a confession around motion picture soundtracks.

It still isn't in our head, no matter if it's typical or not, it's factual. It happened, it's not a hallucination or psychological. And yes people care enough to be mean about it.

In high school at a certain time I had a Hall and Oates phase while everyone else around me was listening to British independent music like The Smith, Depeche Mode, The Cure, New Model Army, Kissing The Pink, New Order, Sisters of Mercy etc. You should have seen these faces.

Yeah and you would have been completely legitimate in saying "does anyone else feel ashamed to like Hall and Oates" since you were the only one in this situation around you. What's the problem ?

So, I personally would exclude that pubertal age for that question when there is anyway a very narrow ground of what is accepted by the majority crowd.

I gave examples of non-acceptance that happened during adulthood, it's not just the teens.  And what does being a white male have to do with any of this? How do you even know people in this thread are all white and all male.

• 1 year later...

In short, no. I've never hid my musical choices from anyone at any age. I knew from the age of 14 that I had better musical taste than anyone else I knew who wasn't a professional musician. The more I learned about music, the more I felt this to be true, and I still do. My own council will I keep on what is good music. 

or movies

or video games

or books.

Not to say others' opinions haven't helped shape my own, but no one has ever convinced me that something I like is bad, or vice versa. It's always nice when I can find other people who share my enthusiasm for certain things, but I've never required it, or felt slighted by its absence, or felt any shame for liking what I like regardless of the opinions of others. Life is too short, and I waste enough of it in other ways.

On 15/07/2022 at 12:29 PM, GerateWohl said:

Interesting question is, which reaction is worse, when you tell someone that you listen to scores? Pop music listeners or classical music listeners. From my experience listeners of classical music have more predjudices against motion picture scores.

oh i think back in the old days, in my specific case, the classical music listeners were more into film scores than the reverse.

in retrospect, it's probable interest in classical music correlated with playing an instrument and probably correlated to some extent to nerdiness in general, hence perhaps being more interested in movies, or being more receptive of the style of famous scores from the 70's/80's/90's. (like, for example, boy randomly playing Robin Hood on a horn, without an explanation, i remember that).

Did anyone else ever hide the fact you listened to film scores or were embarrassed to admit it to friends?

Maybe in the early days of my film music fandom. Not so much anymore.

I wore my love of film music on my sleeve even in high school. I recall in art class, the teacher allowed us to play music as we did our work...and while the others brought in Depeche Mode or U2 (this was 1991), I had the nerve to put on the Return of the Jedi score, and rocked out to "Battle in the Forest"! 😄

On 14/07/2022 at 8:59 AM, JTWfan77 said:

I always have and continue to hide this shame from everyone :P

Me too. I don't like to be "otherized", nor be seen as "that guy with ludicrous taste in music".

This is a subject matter I don't like to talk about with most people.

6 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

And that is before you tell them that you pay sometimes about 50 bugs for a score expansion on CD.

What kind of bugs?

In the streaming era, where you can find everything online, the concept of film music albums missing long and important cues from the film score may be so bizarre, so utterly ridiculous for the uninitiated, that even film composers themselves started to releasing almost complete scores on official albums.

Too bad only Williams seems to think it's better for the fans to listen to just half of the score available. Didn't his great-grandsons bother to explain to him what Spotify is?

1 hour ago, Jay said:
1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

And that is before you tell them that you pay sometimes about 50 bugs for a score expansion on CD.

What kind of bugs?

Considering the bugs I've been dealing with recently, 50 of them probably amounts to something like three monthly salaries…

2 hours ago, Bellosh said:

lol...good point.

I'm glad someone got my joke:lol:

2 hours ago, Bellosh said:

So wait, you really bought E.T. on CD for the 3rd time for a 49 second track???

Was this for The Kiss? Because thats understandable