THE ACOLYTE - 2024 Star Wars TV

Jay

On 21/03/2024 at 10:11 AM, Tallguy said:

When exactly did they not? I can call many sins on Disney Star Wars but flagrantly contradicting 1-6 isn't one I can think of.

Well Disney is definitely inconsistent in keeping with its own canon. As far as 1-6 go, besides "Somehow Palpatine returned", the characterisation of Luke and the Obi Wan show, Rogue One is maybe the biggest in terms of contradictions. Firstly the Geonosians (or Separatists) created the Death Star "The Jedi must not find our designs for the ultimate weapon. If they find out what we are planning, we're doomed", but apparently going by Rogue One the plans for how this ultimate weapon would operate weren't complete and they needed someone else to finish it, which makes the reveal in AOTC redundant. ANHs opening crawl states rebel spies stole the Death Star plans, not true, one spy, a group of rebel soldiers and at least 3 people that weren't a part of the rebellion infiltrated an Imperial facility to steal the plans. Vader tells Leia "several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies" which Vader knows isn't true, that the plans were sent to the Profundity then passed to her ship, which is contradicted even more when she feigns ignorance, as if the soldier on the other side of the door that grabbed the plans didn't feel it might be worth mentioning that Vader slaughtered several troops trying to get to the plans that were handed to their ship. There's also that in Rogue One the Death Star is hyperspacing around the galaxy and firing at planets appearing to be fully operational, yet in ANH - "Until this battle station is fully operational we are vulnerable" "And what of the rebellion? If the rebels have obtained a complete technical readout of this station it is possible however unlikely they might find a weakness and exploit it" "...now Lord Vader will provide us with the location of the rebel fortress by the time this station is operational" "The final checkout is completed, all systems are operational" "Princess Leia before your execution I would like you to be my guest at a ceremony that will make this battle station operational" "In a way you have determined the choice of the planet that will be destroyed first " "I have chosen to test this stations destructive power on your home planet of Alderaan", which would all suggest that the station has only just become operational during the events of ANH as opposed to being fully active and firing, even if on a "single ignition" in Rogue One. Then there's the Death Stars weakness, in ANH it's clearly meant to be something the Empire overlooked, yet Rogue One has Jyn find out her father has "rigged a trap inside it" and have her plead before the rebel council (where General Dodoanna is present) to get the plans but this is shot down. While in his debrief Dodoanna says "an analysis of the plans provided by Princess Leia demonstrated a weakness in the battle station... the shaft leads directly to the reactor system, a precise hit should start a chain reaction that should destroy the station.. " No acknowledgement of either Jyn or that the weakness was actually a trap set by her father and the plans confirmed it. Then there's also "we've analysed their attack sir and there is a danger.." so not only have these plans been in Palpatines possession since the start of the Clone Wars, with the Death Stars construction beginning prior to ROTS but they've been altered by Galen to include this weakness,  that by simply figuring out the rebels target that the inbuilt weakness can be detected by the them. Then there's the corridor scene with Vader which I've already explained why it contradicts the OT.

On 21/03/2024 at 11:59 AM, Tallguy said:

As for some sort of Sith thing in The Acolyte: This is hundreds of years in the past. (Right?) The Jedi Order in the PT lost a planet and somehow accidentally ordered a clone army. Maybe they forgot about a Sith encounter here and there over the millennia.

As per the article I linked to it's supposedly set 100 years before TPM. I doubt that Yoda who was actively training Jedi at this time would just causally forget the appearance of the jedis' biggest threat. Also they didn't loose a planet. Kamino is located in Wild Space, an area of the galaxy that hasn't been fully explored, and has no representation in the Republic, it being deleted from the archive and no one noticing isn't that big of a stretch. The Jedi Order never requested the Clone Army, it was Sifo-Dyas acting independently who commissioned it's creation but was killed by Dooku, who hired Jango as the template. 

The opening crawl also states that getting the plans is the Rebellions first victory against the Empire, so none of the victories in Rebels count. Not even ending it's occupation of Lothal and Grand Admiral Thrawn being lightspeeded into another galaxy was a win for them.

The only series away from The Skywalker Saga... and you guys managed to bring it to the thread. Fascinating.

Going back to the "Sith extinct" problem... You guys do remember Ki-Adi-Mundi said that when Qui-Gon was telling them that he fought a Sith, right? And they left that council meeting still not really believing Qui-Gon.

If my memory serves me right, Leslie said we would start to see the failings of the Jedi in this series (there are already cracks in The High Republic books), so however they handle the Sith threat, might be part of the plot.

On 23/03/2024 at 11:29 AM, Gabriel Bezerra said:

The only series away from The Skywalker Saga... and you guys managed to bring it to the thread. Fascinating.

8k99x7.jpg

On 23/03/2024 at 11:29 AM, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Going back to the "Sith extinct" problem... You guys do remember Ki-Adi-Mundi said that when Qui-Gon was telling them that he fought a Sith, right? And they left that council meeting still not really believing Qui-Gon.

If my memory serves me right, Leslie said we would start to see the failings of the Jedi in this series (there are already cracks in The High Republic books), so however they handle the Sith threat, might be part of the plot.

Right? That was my point.

Ultimately the Jedi or at least the Jedi Council can't learn that whoever is running around the galaxy is a Sith. By the end of the series the status quo has to be that the Jedi still believe the Sith to be extinct. And that raises the question "what is the point of this show?". If it's to show the hubris of the Jedi that's easily on display in the prequels. The show apparently wants to focus on a murder mystery and how the Jedi deal with it and that could be interesting. But if the Sith are involved it could create problems, unnecessary problems. The Jedi being killed by Sith and whatever resolution the show comes to will be unsatisfactory as it will try desperately to bring it back to that status quo and that will be frustrating as we the audience would have seen not only Jedi murdered but someone telling the council it was a Sith Lord only to be ignored, which would be repeated in TPM and so it's not presenting anything new and bring back the question "what is the point of this show?". If the writers are smart they'd steer clear of the Sith in anyway they can and instead focus on showing that the Jedi and Sith are not the end all be all in regards to the force. 

38 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

The POINT is to entertain me in a Star Warsy setting

Leslye Headland said the show has a "Star Wars veneer."

Enough to draw us in and watch her self-described "fan fiction."

4 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

her self-described "fan fiction."

At least she admits she is doing a very expensive fan fiction, like the rest of this Disney+ crap.

Honestly, watching Lucasfilm destroying itself with a mountain of complete dogshit that diluted the SW brand has been more entertaining than anything they actually produced in a while.

19 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

If the writers are smart they'd steer clear of the Sith in anyway they can and instead focus on showing that the Jedi and Sith are not the end all be all in regards to the force. 

Do I have some books and comics for you!

About the point of Acolyte, I heard t the same thing said about Andor before it came out. It could very well end up as you describe it... or it could end up pretty great, it could go either way so there's no point in the question.

14 hours ago, Tallguy said:

The POINT is to entertain 

4ZepGNwhW4AaA.webp

8 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

Do I have some books and comics for you!

Great! What ones would you recommend? 

16 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Great! What ones would you recommend? 

The High Republic ones

Light of the Jedi - The Rising Storm - The Fallen Star is the Phase 1 trilogy

Path of Deceit - Path of Vengeance is the Phase 2 Duology (standalone)

The comics are... well a different vibe, I didn't really connect with it, too much crammed in, and it can only be read after Light of the Jedi, so there's that.

3 hours ago, Gabriel Bezerra said:

The High Republic ones

Light of the Jedi - The Rising Storm - The Fallen Star is the Phase 1 trilogy

Path of Deceit - Path of Vengeance is the Phase 2 Duology (standalone)

The comics are... well a different vibe, I didn't really connect with it, too much crammed in, and it can only be read after Light of the Jedi, so there's that.

Awesome thanks, I'll check out at the first book for now at least as haven't heard much praise for the High Republic stuff. 

I lost track of the post-Star Wars (A New Hope if you must) comics. But however many I read were tremendously enjoyable. I even really enjoyed the Darth Vader series.

If someone was ever able to write something that felt like Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker were the same person that would be the best thing ever.

13 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I lost track of the post-Star Wars (A New Hope if you must) comics. But however many I read were tremendously enjoyable. I even really enjoyed the Darth Vader series.

If someone was ever able to write something that felt like Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker were the same person that would be the best thing ever.

I would say the Revenge of the Sith novelisation does a pretty good job bridging that gap

On 01/04/2024 at 1:05 AM, Groovygoth666 said:

Awesome thanks, I'll check out at the first book for now at least as haven't heard much praise for the High Republic stuff. 

Yeah, Light of the Jedi does a great job of showing what this era is about.

Every complaint I've heard about the era have come from people who only read a synopsis or nothing at all, that's because it's usually the same talking points since it was announced, without change, Drengir, Twins and Geode. All of those are mainly in the comics and young adult novels (the ones I recommend are the adult novels, where the meat and potatos is), neither of those is a reason to get mad at and I don't even like the Drengir.

Anyways, have a great read.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

ROTFLMAO

acolyte1.png

The tampon one takes it for me, but this one's great too. lol

21 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

The tampon one takes it for me, but this one's great too. lol

I saw that one as well but I thought it was too NSFW for JWFan :lol:

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I saw that one as well but I thought it was too NSFW for JWFan :lol:

Doesn't seem any worse to me than a dog's skid mark. lol

4 hours ago, Tallguy said:

It's not good.

Hold that thought...

Disney has such confidence and high hopes for this show that it was announced that there'd be no second season. What you call "DOA."

3 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

good. not everything needs multiple seasons to tell its story.

Some do not even really need one.  

4 minutes ago, DarthDementous said:

good. not everything needs multiple seasons to tell its story.

Oh dear. Are we allowed to have TWO optimists in this thread? This is a Star Wars thread after all!

8 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Russian Doll ruled so I’m looking forward to the showrunner’s take on Star Wars. 

I liked the first season. I couldn't get into the second.

My spouse was the same way.  It definitely doesn’t have a hook-y concept with the first season, but I think it was a lot more interesting dramatically - what the characters go through - and thematically as well.

12 hours ago, mstrox said:

My spouse was the same way.  It definitely doesn’t have a hook-y concept with the first season, but I think it was a lot more interesting dramatically - what the characters go through - and thematically as well.

I should check it out before this comes out to set expectations, because I was a big fan of the first season and it's probably a combination of that and Leslie's comments about the EU that have me most intrigued about this project

I think, what was so deterring in the trailer, that they obviously don't advertize this with hints or traces of an interesting story but just with images of the meanwhile a hundred times seen usual jedi talk and action.

Just read this little tidbit with our Grey Jedi discussion in the other thread

“The Jedi really think they’re right – and George [Lucas] tells us that they’re wrong in Phantom. They missed a huge aspect of the dark side rising. That just felt like fertile ground to look into what’s going on for all of us right now.”

Sigh. It's unfortunate she doesn't understand the movie, and even more so that the whole franchise seems to be moving in this direction.

I've never understood this stance that the Jedi are morally wrong for missing the return of the Sith. I didn't see the dude who rear-ended me coming either. All we get in TPM is Mace saying "I don't believe the Sith could have returned without us knowing." How is that a moral failing? How are they "wrong." This was not willful blindness. The council even get a tip from Qui-Gon that it may have been a Sith warrior, and they send him back to Naboo to draw him out so they can learn more. They "allowed" it to happen? FFS they spend three years in a galaxy-spanning war, ending in the destruction of their order, trying to defeat the separatists, who they know are controlled by the Sith. "Wong?" STFU.