Danny Elfman's SPIDER-MAN (2002) - NEW! 3-CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records (2022)

Jay

I'm not convinced the naming means anything specific, but I agree that especially given they did the first one, it's a very good indication that the secone one's coming. I gave the sessions a very quick skim on YouTube and actually there's a lot more here than I remember, particularly in the alternates.

The movie's 2 hours (excluding credits) and the album has only got 44 minutes (!!) of score... either fees got in the way or Elfman was in a really conceptual mindset when he made it. It means that catering for alternate versions (and hopefully other composers' work) there's absolutely tons of missing music. I am so up for an expansion.

I love Spider-Man 2 the film so, so much, but the use of score really distracts me from it. Some of the temp tracking I can get over, but why, why, why is the love theme playing over Aunt May's hero speech? Awful.

7 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm not convinced the naming means anything specific, but I agree that especially given they did the first one, it's a very good indication that the secone one's coming. I gave the sessions a very quick skim on YouTube and actually there's a lot more here than I remember, particularly in the alternates.

The movie's 2 hours (excluding credits) and the album has only got 44 minutes (!!) of score... either fees got in the way or Elfman was in a really conceptual mindset when he made it. It means that catering for alternate versions (and hopefully other composers' work) there's absolutely tons of missing music. I am so up for an expansion.

One possibility I've seen before (Tomorrow Never Dies I think) is that not all the score was completed when the album master needed to be handed in for manufacturing etc.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Did your post say something about "album version" last night? What did that mean?

The track used on Insta says "Album Version", but that seems to just be their naming convention on some of the streaming platforms.

13 minutes ago, OneBuckFilms said:

One possibility I've seen before (Tomorrow Never Dies I think) is that not all the score was completed when the album master needed to be handed in for manufacturing etc.

Yep, that's a fair possibility. Although given they had a songtrack as well, it would surprise me a bit if they wanted to have the score album out at the same time - the regular joes just want all the 'normal' stuff.

Still, I wouldn't be at all be surprised to see this out later this year. Whether it would contain anything non-Elfman, well, that's another matter.

Karol

18 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

I love Spider-Man 2 the film so, so much, but the use of score really distracts me from it. Some of the temp tracking I can get over, but why, why, why is the love theme playing over Aunt May's hero speech? Awful.

I can’t see Elfman supervising an extended release of SM-2 after all the BTS drama with the temping of Young’s music. He did a private signing 1-2 years ago and nothing from SM-2 was made available.

I do see LLL working to make Chris Young’s SM-3 a reality. His replacement music for SM-2 will likely be on that release if it materializes.

On 26/04/2024 at 3:49 PM, ddddeeee said:

I quite literally had to edit the music out and add the original back in as much as possible. I can't enjoy the film as much otherwise. Possibly the worst hack job to a film score I have ever seen outside of Michael Bay films. 

On 27/4/2024 at 4:58 AM, La La Land Records said:

It literally means nothing except I should have squinted harder to see that it was spiderman 2 on the cover and not spiderman when I chose the music to go along with the post

We don't do clues and we sure as hell would never post music on a title we are working on

The post has been deleted and changed.

Hey, LLL is back! 

I'm all for more Elfman, having paid extraordinate amounts to see the orange-haired dong 4 times now. But what is there in the new Spiderman set that is not in the original? The score, to be honest here, is not his greatest. Elf-baby is not amazing on action stuff either often.

Listeninig to anything from the original Spider trilogy, the only interesting stuff is the Elfman theme, and the Young stuff.

Man, what a waste. The Elfman material is okay, I understand his logic, and appreciate the 8-point theme for Octavius, but jesus.

Why is the score so scattered, all over the place? Cohesion works. Who would want to listen to this stuff anywhere outside of the Young contributions?

EDIT - Funny, how Elfman has had to go with Young standards.....