What Christmas Music Are You Listening To? 2022

Disco Stu

17 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

One of my favourite Christmas albums in recent years:

Oh, wonderful!!!  Love me some hammered dulcimer in any musical context!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

A favorite since I was a kid, The Manhattan Transfer's Christmas Album.  Relevant to film scores, the orchestral arrangements/co-production are by Johnny Mandel composer of such scores as Harper and M*A*S*H.  He also wrote the only original song on the album.

manhattan-transfer-the-christmas-album-c

Fuck, yeah! :thumbup:

It remembers me a Christmas where I play that album at my brother's home, but all the mother of his wife wanted to hear was ELVIS. So we played ELVIS instead.  Now he's divorced.

4 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Love jazz and Ella Fitzgerald, so listening to this album was inevitable.

If I had to pick just one this would probably be my single favorite Christmas album from the jazz/pop side of things.  Ella just radiates joie de vivre in everything she does.

It's all amazing but the arrangements/performances of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and "Sleigh Ride" especially are among my all time favorites. 

57 minutes ago, Bespin said:

It remembers me a Christmas where I play that album at my brother's home, but all the mother of his wife wanted to hear was ELVIS. So we played ELVIS instead.  Now he's divorced.

Just listening to Elvis' The Classic Christmas album.

I'm surprised Elvis didn't do any Christmas-y film, among the many he's done.

I would love to see something like that!

01.png

Elvis’ christmas music might be the greatest christmas music ever recorded. That and Wham’s Last Christmas.

And on that note, if you’re a fan of 80’s christmas music, I’ll change your life right now and introduce you to one of the best christmas songs ever recorded!

It was released in 1983 by Japanese singer-songwriter and record producer Tatsuro Yamashita, and is called simply Christmas Eve.

Enjoy!

There’s an official video as well, for the curious, but - erm - it might be too much 80s to handle upon a first introduction. And it’s easy to find if you like the song. But better to start with this version that just has some christmas decorations as a visual, and then deep dive if you want.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I’ve never enjoyed Elvis much, but I can dig “Blue Christmas” as much as the next guy.

Yeah, just have 10 minutes to finish the album, and it's not so much for me. I prefer older artists like Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Doris Day etc...

I'm not an expert of the "Christmas with Elvis" subject, but I listened to the Royal Philh Orchestra CD the other day, you know, that orchestra who dub oldies singer like Sinatra, Roy Orbison... etc... Well they did a christmas CD with Elvis's voice.

It makes a "coated Elvis". Why not?

One of my favourite non film music Christmas albums. Some beautifully arranged orchestral versions of mostly well known, but also less well know but equally lovely carols, woven together. Imagine the Carnegie Hall track from Home Alone 2 for an entire album. I will likely recommend this every year this thread comes up!

I love the simplicity of Elvis’ first Christmas Album. It’s quiet, peaceful, and rocks only when it needs to. 

His second one is fun too, but perfectly reflects his excesses in his life at that point. 

On 14/12/2022 at 4:56 PM, thx99 said:

Oh, wonderful!!!  Love me some hammered dulcimer in any musical context!

If you like this, also check out Apollo's Fire's other stuff, like the original Sugarloaf Mountain (the Christmas on… album is essentially a Christmas-themed variation of the same concept):

They've also made acclaimed performances and recordings of works by Monteverdi, Händel, and Bach, but I haven't heard those yet.

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

If you like this, also check out Apollo's Fire's other stuff

I was a bit put off by the, like, Wiccan hippie pagan vibe they sometimes come across as having when I first discovered them, but they are undeniably a fantastic ensemble for early music.

32 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I was a bit put off by the, like, Wiccan hippie pagan vibe they sometimes come across as having when I first discovered them, but they are undeniably a fantastic ensemble for early music.

I like the concept of presenting "early folk music" in context. It may have some quaint vibes here and there, but I figure that just comes with the territory.

Listening to The Killers’ Christmas album/compilation “Don’t Waste Your Wishes” this morning, then Dr. Elmo’s Twisted Christmas, and then into the Dr. Seuss’s Grinch portion of my albums - original special, and two albums each (soundtrack and score) for the Jim Carrey and Benedict Cumberbatch versions.  However far my work day gets me

Confession time:

While I don’t own it or ever voluntarily put it on, I’ve never thought “Wonderful Christmastime” was particularly annoying.  I’ve seen people act like it’s the most horrendous crime ever committed to tape, but I think it’s fine.

My real hot take: “Happy Xmas (War is Over)” is a more annoying song.  Those horrible kids!

I don’t have a problem with either of them.  The only 80s Christmas song I dislike that has stuck around long enough to become part of the canon is Do They Know It’s Christmas?

Listening today to Eight Crazy Nights (I know…….), the score album to Elf, and the Elf musical special, as well as an album Hanukkah Songs by a folkie I follow named Dan Bern.  

Saving the Varese deluxe Elf for a separate day - too much of that particular score all at once…

Also, beginning to think I’m not gonna hit all my Christmas stuff by Sunday!

Happy Hanukkah to everyone around here whose families celebrate!

This afternoon, I listened to the two Christmas albums that John Williams did with the Boston Pops. It was meant as moody relaxation as I wrapped gifts, but the combination of the upbeat Christmas music and the frustration of the wrapping turned annoying instead. :D Should have chosen something a bit calmer.

Finally got around to the two Home Alones - I've probably never before skipped them until this late in December. I skipped the bonus tracks with the various carol arrangements, because they make for good light listening even closer to Christmas (see Thor's comment above).

With just one day to go, I'm FINALLY playing the two HOME ALONEs. That's late. In more normal, not-so-busy years, I tend to spin them from late November onwards.

It really doesn't hold up well in complete form. Most of it just isn't made to stand on its own, and it's all very same-y as well. The opening montage without vocals is particularly odd. Surely better served in curated form, though I believe the original album (which I never had physically) is missing one or two worthwhile bits. Still, it's nice enough once around Christmas time.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Listening to Frozen I and II.

Not a bad idea. I might squeeze in Frozen if I find the time (I don't know the sequel).

A lot of people seem to think that Craig Armstrong is some kind of major talent. He's not. His music is, perfunctory, at best, and damned annoying, at worst. He's the modern-day equivalent of Stephen Warbeck - cloying, boring, and, ultimately, forgettable.

40 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

A lot of people seem to think that Craig Armstrong is some kind of major talent. He's not. His music is, perfunctory, at best, and damned annoying, at worst. He's the modern-day equivalent of Stephen Warbeck - cloying, boring, and, ultimately, forgettable.

I don't know much Warbeck. I liked Shakespeare in Love enough to buy the album (though I don't remember it now). I don't know much Armstrong either. But the main thing about the Love Actually score is that it's clearly perfunctory - it fits the film very well, it has a couple of catchy highlights that are nice on their own, but the bulk of the score does only just enough to support the film (but that it does).

I like Frozen. I have the sequel on my shelf, but haven't watched it yet. Never seen The Grinch. Nor Elf, for that matter, but I'm told it's a must see, so it's on the list for next year.