John Williams 2023 Tanglewood concerts

Falstaft

7 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

since I'd heard stories about his temper

7 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

getting between Richard and his juicy Five Guys burger

Exactly! After a long day of talking with people that is a side I definitely did not want to meet:lol:

By the way Brando, were you able to get a ticket in the shed?

So funny. They must travel together. I saw both Dreyfuss and Susan Backeline at a small con in Buffalo a few years ago. They were both fun to talk to. Susan in particular was terrific. 

I tried to curry favor with Dreyfuss by showing him that I’d dressed like him for Halloween. His remark was that he would rather see all three of us dressed as Hooper and his name three times on the poster. :lol:

IMG_5239_Original.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Andy said:

His remark was that he would rather see all three of us dressed as Hooper and his name three times on the poster. :lol:

That definitely sounds like something he would say! 😄

I thought it would knock a guy off his perch a little to go from the A List to the convention circuit... But that's how we love him, curmudgeonly and arrogant (but with a soft center).

4 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

By the way Brando, were you able to get a ticket in the shed?

I decided to drop it. I have a ticket for the lawn, next time, I'll probably wait a bit to see if other seats pop up. good lesson to be learned.

3 hours ago, Brando said:

I decided to drop it. I have a ticket for the lawn, next time, I'll probably wait a bit to see if other seats pop up. good lesson to be learned.

Call Symphony Charge (BSO Box office). Even if non-refundable, lawn tickets can usually be exchanged for shed tickets. I upgraded a seat the last time I went four years ago and just paid the difference.

10 hours ago, Foxfan said:

Call Symphony Charge (BSO Box office). Even if non-refundable, lawn tickets can usually be exchanged for shed tickets. I upgraded a seat the last time I went four years ago and just paid the difference.

Hmmm. I'll look into this. Should I check the seating chart first to see if there's seats available?

7 minutes ago, Brando said:

Hmmm. I'll look into this. Should I check the seating chart first to see if there's seats available?

It appears there's only one left. A box seat at $174.

I have an extra ticket in Section 6 that I'm not sure what to do with...

1 hour ago, Mr. Hooper said:

It appears there's only one left. A box seat at $174.

I have an extra ticket in Section 6 that I'm not sure what to do with...

Where is section and how much were your tickets? Lets say hypothetically by Monday there are no available seats less than $174, would you consider selling your ticket to me?

2 hours ago, Brando said:

Yes. Maybe add it to your cart while you're waiting to get through, then empty cart to free up the seat when the agent is on the line ready to snag it for you.

50 minutes ago, Brando said:

Where is section and how much were your tickets? Lets say hypothetically by Monday there are no available seats less than $174, would you consider selling your ticket to me?

Sure, no problem.

Section 6 Row L Seat 22. Check out the seating chart.

The ticket is $92. I'd absorb the handling fee.

Only thing is, my name's printed on the ticket. I don't know if that can pose a problem.

IMG_2231.jpeg

7 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Sure, no problem.

Section 6 Row L Seat 22. Check out the seating chart.

The ticket is $92. I'd absorb the handling fee.

Only thing is, my name's printed on the ticket. I don't know if that can pose a problem.

IMG_2231.jpeg

I think if we go in at the same time it should be fine? Did you initially buy the ticket for a friend/family member?

I bought it for myself when they first went on sale. I'm guessing the name on the ticket shouldn't matter. But yeah, it's a good idea that we go in together, just to be sure.

Just let me know either way when you've decided. 👍

On 26/07/2023 at 10:59 PM, Mr. Hooper said:

I can't imagine what these people are thinking. "OK, I'm gonna slip past security — meant to keep guys like me away — and startle this 90-year-old man and basically coerce him to sign something for me."

Ive mentioned it here before, there was a woman that actually tried to get into his car at symphony hall once, and that was after she tried to force her way through the stage door

On 27/07/2023 at 12:53 AM, BB-8 said:

It's often better to just observe and inhale the atmosphere.

I once attended an organised signature event with Sir George Solti (at a record shop in Zurich during what may have been Solti's last year of life). Back then, CDs were still hot on the market. The event was clearly organised by the industry (today, artists get CD and vinyl covers sent to their homes for bulk signing).

Solti was quite tired and there were strict rules: "Get in the line, one item each!". After the first dozen or so of signatures, Solti (who seemed completely absent minded) signalled to his wife and manager that he had had enough, and the organizers immediately drew a banner through the cue of people and asked everyone behind the banner to understand and leave.

You can imagine the frustration of those not being selected. It got quite loud actually.

I was among the lucky ones. However, Solti, using a black pen, signed onto the black tailcoat on the photo so that the result could hardly be seen. He couldn't have cared less.

Looking back, I have to say that the concert experience is the more valuable memory.

I remember I had a similar experience with Boulez when he was older. I had something signed for a teacher of mine who was his student. He was pretty frail looking, physically and emotionally, and wrote his signature very small on this giant score. It was more sad to see for someone who was known as a work aholic and had a big personality.

These signing events are always kind of double edged, everyone wants to meet a person and have a personal moment but they literally sit there and meet so many people all saying the same types of things and I can imagine it is very very tiring, especially if the person is older. Or on the flip side, some of these people can really be mean, and they just seem to be mean people in reality.

18 minutes ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

...there was a woman that actually tried to get into his car at symphony hall once

Tried to get into his car?? That's something you might expect from a crazed teen trying to claw her way to someone like Justin Bieber... Of course, John Williams is a rock star in his own right.

I'm just trying to imagine what the woman was going to say had she succeeded...

"Uh. Hello, Mr. Williams... Um. I actually never expected to get this far..."

33 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Tried to get into his car?? That's something you might expect from a crazed teen trying to claw her way to someone like Justin Bieber... Of course, John Williams is a rock star in his own right.

I'm just trying to imagine what the woman was going to say had she succeeded...

"Uh. Hello, Mr. Williams... Um. I actually never expected to get this far..."

actually, she was extremely talkative. I think she kept saying she came all the way from Brazil and she just really wants to meet and talk with him. Surprisingly she was middle aged and she was extremely aggressive. The guy tried to close the stage door and she blocked it with his body so the door couldn't be closed. And this was pre 2010 (can't remember the year exactly, like maybe 2006 or 08). I just remember he came out at the inside stage door in 2002, and that was the last time he came there and had a friendly time, but I remember he got pushed around a fair bit.

13 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

I bought it for myself when they first went on sale. I'm guessing the name on the ticket shouldn't matter. But yeah, it's a good idea that we go in together, just to be sure.

Just let me know either way when you've decided. 👍

Hi,

Last year, for John Williams celebration birthday, it was not my name on the ticket and I could enter into the shed without any problem, no one checked.

46 minutes ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

...but I remember he got pushed around a fair bit.

I had no idea that kind of thing went on with him. I thought it was just pushy autograph sellers. But I guess it shouldn't be all that surprising. When you're loved the world over like Williams is, there are bound to be a few over-zealous fans who overstep.

39 minutes ago, Guillaume said:

Hi,

Last year, for John Williams celebration birthday, it was not my name on the ticket and I could enter into the shed without any problem, no one checked.

Thanks for the info. I just found it strange that my name was on the ticket. I've never seen that before.

Well it's been a learning experience buying tickets for Tanglewood... Next time I'm going to wait for a better seat to pop up. But just a week before the show is cutting it close, especially when you're coming from way out of town and need to secure hotel reservations.

On 27/07/2023 at 12:16 AM, Foxfan said:

This worked!!! So I added in a seat to my cart and when I got ahold of an agent, I backed out and the seat was gone. Luckily, there was one left in section J 12. I believe it was the $92 ticket because I only had to pay an additional $69.50 to make up for the difference, but I'm glad to be in the stadium now! As of now, I think all that's left are wheelchair seats.

Welcome to the shed, Brando!

I'm seeing different forecasts for Saturday... One says sun, another partly cloudy, and yet another is calling for rain.

You're going to be extra happy to have upgraded to the shed if there's a downpour!

50 minutes ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Welcome to the shed, Brando!

I'm seeing different forecasts for Saturday... One says sun, another partly cloudy, and yet another is calling for rain.

You're going to be extra happy to have upgraded to the shed if there's a downpour!

I haven’t even looked or checked out what the weathers like. If it does end up raining I’m going to be severely happy I upgraded. 

I have got 3 tickets to sell for August 5, 8 and 11, 1 ticket per concert. All in front sections in the shed. Please pm if interested. 

18 hours ago, Brando said:

I haven’t even looked or checked out what the weathers like. If it does end up raining I’m going to be severely happy I upgraded. 

Crossing my fingers for a nice day since my plan is to arrive early to stroll around the grounds.

Is anyone interested in meeting up for a beer?

19 minutes ago, DangerMotif said:

Does anyone know if he plays encores at the Tanglewood on parade? Did he last year?

thanks

No. Tanglewood on Parade traditionally ends with Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture with actual cannons on the lawn. There's a sense that no encore can beat that sound, especially as it's usually played by an oversized orchestra of both BSO players and Tanglewood Music Center students.

One concert I attended in the late 2000s had Williams on the podium for that piece and it must have been such a privilege for those youths to play under his baton!

On 30/7/2023 at 11:59 AM, Mr. Hooper said:

Is anyone interested in meeting up for a beer?

Dumb question, is there a place on the grounds that sells concessions?  I’d like to pop by and say hey to you guys.  

1 hour ago, Andy said:

Dumb question, is there a place on the grounds that sells concessions?  I’d like to pop by and say hey to you guys.  

Yes! There is the cafeteria and numerous tents selling beer and wine.

I’ll be there so I’d love to meet up with fellow JWFans!

Hi. New here. Can anyone give any details about how the Film Night concert at Tanglewood goes? Aug. 5 this year...

I am going this year...a bucket list sort of trip...

How do you rate this concert in terms of JW concert experiences?

Anything in particular about Tanglewood or this event worth mentioning?

How long does the concert last? The online program looks short, but I'm guessing that there a lot of unannounced pieces...??? 

Really looking forward to going and just trying to get a good idea of what to expect...and don't want to miss anything. Thank you much for any info here.

Film Night at Tanglewood is probably my favorite way to see John Williams live, so you picked a good one. 

Pre covid it'd be like an hour or so, intermission, another hour or so, then encores. Post covid they've been shorter with no intermission, but maybe this year they're back to normal? I haven't looked at the program. 

Yea this is the kind of concert where you want to arrive there like, an hour before the show starts

So the site says the doors open at 5:30 and the concert is at 8. Are you suggesting we get there earlier than 5:30 or plan to be there then so you have time to walk around?

I'm making an entire day of it. There's a 10:30 performance in the shed including Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, which I'll enjoy hearing from afar while walking the grounds and taking pictures... I'd also like to attend the Prelude Concert to experience Seiji Ozawa Hall. And the weather's looking great for Saturday: sunny and a perfect 25°C!

4 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

I'm making an entire day of it. There's a 10:30 performance in the shed including Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique, which I'll enjoy hearing from afar while walking the grounds and taking pictures... I'd also like to attend the Prelude Concert to experience Seiji Ozawa Hall. And the weather's looking great for Saturday: sunny and a perfect 25°C!

I was also thinking of going to the morning rehearsal for Berlioz and the Jussen Brothers!

Will depend on how the weather is Friday, as I have six-hour drive after work from my home in Quebec to the Albany area.

I need new jeans and there are outlets in Lee I might go to in the afternoon (no sales tax on clothes under $300 in MA).

Weather for Saturday looks great!

One tip for those NOT staying in Lenox after the concert: Try to park in the Lions Gate lot (southwest of the Tanglewood grounds). That way you can turn left on Hawthorne and take the side roads to go to where you're headed next. West Street turns into a one-way back to Lenox and it always gets CLOGGED with traffic.

Small world, Foxfan, I'm coming from Montreal!

Since I'm walking back into town, I'm actually counting on West St. being bumper to bumper all the way back, to light my way. Someone here said it's an otherwise dark stretch of road. I'm just surprised there's no bus service for Tanglewood.

There used to be a BSO-chartered bus service from Symphony Hall in Boston to Tanglewood on some nights, but I haven't seen it listed recently.

You're staying in Lenox? I usually stay in the Albany area after a day at Tanglewood, but this time I actually have to make a stop in Sherbrooke on Sunday, so I'm staying around Springfield on the I-91 corridor.

Still haven't decided where I'm stopping on the way down Friday. Plattsburgh motel prices are INSANE! Might just try to get some sleep in a Wal-mart parking lot around Saratoga. LOL.

Thank you all for your responses about Saturday night. Really looking forward to it.

I have two tickets for sale if anyone needs two seats. Section twenty, row D.

Just let me know if you are interested in purchase.