Falstaft

7 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Welcome to...

"Welcome to Film Night... For real."

IMG_2752.webp

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

Tuesday?

Oh, Tanglewood on Parade

Far and Away and Born on the Fourth of July will be awesome to experience live!

They took out F&A, now it’s.

John WILLIAMS Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Williams/Pops) 
John WILLIAMS Theme from Born on the Fourth of July (Williams/Pops)
John WILLIAMS Flight to Neverland, from Hook

36 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

IMG_20230803_202211.jpg

Now that's more like it!

I suspected (hoped!) 'Duel' would be added when I saw that the BU Tanglewood Institute Young Artists Vocal Program was involved.

Do you think what we see here is the order in which they'll be played?

Also thrilled to see 'Scene D'Amour' as one of the non-Williams selections. Probably my favourite Herrmann piece.

15 minutes ago, DangerMotif said:

They took out F&A, now it’s.

John WILLIAMS Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Williams/Pops) 
John WILLIAMS Theme from Born on the Fourth of July (Williams/Pops)
John WILLIAMS Flight to Neverland, from Hook

bummer

Personally, I've seen him do Sherzo for Motorcycle and Flight To Neverland live many times now, so BO4J and F&A excite me way more

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Personally, I've seen him do Sherzo for Motorcycle and Flight To Neverland live many times now, so BO4J and F&A excite me way more

I saw Scherzo live when he came to NY in april, it was amazing 

It is!  All the changes he's made to the piece since the OST recording have kept making it more and more fun!

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

It is!  All the changes he'd made to the piece since the OST recording have kept making it more and more fun!

Moving up the Nazi theme was great

I kinda wish he would go the suite route instead of a bunch of random pieces. Like this https://youtu.be/GGy198CVMQo

On 2/8/2023 at 5:17 PM, Foxfan said:

One tip for those NOT staying in Lenox after the concert: Try to park in the Lions Gate lot (southwest of the Tanglewood grounds). That way you can turn left on Hawthorne and take the side roads to go to where you're headed next. West Street turns into a one-way back to Lenox and it always gets CLOGGED with traffic.

I’m staying in the Albany area. So the Lions Gate is my best choice?

So if you arrive before 5:30, you can’t get in the gate, but there’s still an experience to be had by walking the grounds?

Apologies, I’m a bit dense with maps and planning. 

I should’ve put a wink emoji, I suppose. But I’m always a bit dorky meeting online friends in real life.  Truly without a doubt, I would love to have a meet up. 

14 hours ago, Andy said:

I’m staying in the Albany area. So the Lions Gate is my best choice?

So if you arrive before 5:30, you can’t get in the gate, but there’s still an experience to be had by walking the grounds?

Apologies, I’m a bit dense with maps and planning. 

Exactly. From Albany you’ll actually get off the last exit in NYS (Colombie NY where the Love’s travel plaza is) and take State Line Rd/Lenox Rd towards Tanglewood. The Mass Turnpike doesn’t have many exits and if you miss one, you can kiss about a half hour or more goodbye.

At night when you exit Lions’ Gate, turn left on Interlaken and there’s no traffic towards Albany.

I'll be leaving my house around 5, so will probably be through the gates by 7ish.

Haply to meet up for a beer before we depart to head to our seats

On 3/8/2023 at 5:05 PM, rpvee said:

Duel of the Fates??? That’s literally been my dream setlist inclusion since I saw Williams live for the first time in 2008 as a teenager. Wow. Just a bummer it’s so early in the show, so I assume he won’t be conducting that one. Still, hearing it at all will be a dream come true!!!

I believe the set list you saw was for the rehearsal only. 

They sometimes rehearse things out of order to accommodate guest artists’ availability, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the chorus is featured later in the evening with Williams conducting.

Current program on the website

WHITING, Arr. John WILLIAMS Hooray for Hollywood!
WILLIAMS The Cowboys
HERRMANN Scène d’amour from Vertigo
WILLIAMS Suite from Far and Away
WILLIAMS Theme from Jurassic Park
WILLIAMS Love Theme and March from Superman
WILLIAMS Selections from Star Wars:
 The Asteroid Field
 Anakin’s Theme
 Throne Room & Finale

1 hour ago, Foxfan said:

I’m here for the Berlioz morning rehearsal! Anyone around?

Yep!

I'm on my way, should be through the gates around 715ish.

Ill be parking in Lions Gate lot, and entering through whatever gate is nearest there. If people want to meet for a beer, let me know which concession area you're in and I'll head there. Hopefully people know what I look like lol

Saw earlier that there’s a beer garden set up just left of the shed between there and the main/west gate.

Perhaps we can meet there? By Ozawa hall but making my way over there soon. Black shirt and black jeans.

1 hour ago, SilverTrumpet said:

IMG_7827.jpeg

I was right about Williams conducting the choral pieces in the later half.

Based on the rehearsal list, we can assume Helena’s Theme and Flying Theme from E.T. (and finally Imperial March if he’s up for it) to be the encores.

19 minutes ago, rpvee said:

I can’t believe he’s doing Duel of the Fates himself. This is my 26th time seeing him conduct live, and first time seeing that piece. Childhood dream come true.

Seriously! I almost can't believe it! 

So I'm already sitting in traffic 2 miles from Tanglewood. Damn! Will update when I actually park, at this point who knows when that will be

14 minutes ago, Andy said:

I’m heading to the beer garden in my fedora 

I’m standing outside the beer garden. You near?

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

1.7 miles away now. This sucks!!! I feel like I'll be lucky to get in there by 8 at this rate

At least Williams himself isn’t until

the second half!

Finally parked at 8:21, what a nightmare! 

Listening to Hooray For Hollywood as I walk from the absolute back depths of the Lion's Gate lot. Oh now David Newman is introducing himself. They must have delayed things 

OMG! The will call line is HUGE!! 

At least I can hear The Cowboys while I'm shuffling forward here.

Why are things so crazy here tonight? 

Finally got my ticket at 8:35

3 hours ago, SilverTrumpet said:

IMG_7827.jpeg

Any chance the program has info on Tuesday night also?

Here’s the link to the radio stream.

https://www.classicalwcrb.org/show/the-boston-symphony-orchestra/2023-06-08/john-williams-film-night?utm_campaign=wcrb&utm_content=1690490892&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Been listening since the beginning and as we approach a third encore (Imperial March - what else?), what can I say? Amazing as ever.

The chorus pieces were very interesting since it seemed their parts were push forward in the arrangements and performance at least on the radio stream. Did the balance of them seem to favor the chorus to those who were there?