How will Williams "treat" the Raiders March in the Dial of Destiny End Credits? (Indy 5 End Credits Discussion)

Cerebral Cortex

How will Williams "treat" the Raiders March in the Dial of Destiny End Credits?   

34 members have voted

1. 1. How will the Raiders March feature in the Dial of Destiny end credits?

• It will be a "vanilla" appropriation of the theme, ala Raiders and Last Crusade.
    • Williams will do something to spice it up, like in Temple of Doom and Crystal Skull.
  2. 2. If the end credits goes the "vanilla" route with the Raiders March, will it be the new version of the Raiders March that Williams has been using in concerts?

• It will be the version of the Raiders March used in the previous 4 movies.
    • It will be the new version of the Raiders March used in recent concerts.
    • It will be a blend of both.
  3. 3. How will Williams structure the Dial of Destiny end credits?

• It will be structured much like the previous 4 films.
    • Williams will do something special to sendoff the series (themes from previous entries returning, new orchestral stylings, etc).

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 30/06/23 at 10:25 PM

With another John Williams Indy score growing fast upon us comes the realization that we have another John Williams end credits piece to look forward to. Here, Williams is given a largely blank canvas to weave together the themes and musical ideas, both old and new, he has put into the film into a singular musical tapestry. With the prospect of a new Indy end credits comes multiple points of discussion.

---

(1) The first topic of discussion that comes to mind is how will Williams treat the Raiders March in this final end credits sequence? His approach has been a bit off and on, with Temple of Doom and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull both featuring new creative instances of the theme:

Spoiler
Spoiler

Temple of Doom: Raiders March and Short Round's theme blended together:

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull: New variation and outro

In contrast, Raiders and Last Crusade go for a largely by the numbers approach:

Spoiler
Spoiler

Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade:

Which ultimately brings us to the first poll question: will Williams choose to conclude the series with some sort of new Raiders March variation snuck in there, perhaps a merging of Helena's theme with Indy's à la Force Awakens, or will it be sufficient in Williams mind to end it with a grand orchestration of the traditional playing of the theme we know and love?

(2) Second point of discussion. As @crumbs was astute to point out here, it seems possible that Williams will be using the newer concert recording mix of the Raiders March that makes the drum rhythm more prominent/audible. Will this be what is featured in the end credits, will Williams opt to use the older styling, or will he use both for the end credits?

(3) Lastly, and as a bit of a bonus question inviting more generalized discussion surrounding the end credits of Indy 5, will Williams choose to do something special to send off the series in the end credits? In contrast to Rise of Skywalker, where Williams was rushed and without a dial of destiny to give him more time, it would seem Williams was given a more structured and less rushed working schedule to write the score for the final Indy outing. Perhaps a stroll through the museum of themes Williams has accumulated for this series over the years? Perhaps an end credits styling straight out of the Hollywood Golden Age to conform with how Williams has been going around presenting Helena's theme? Who knows! 

I liked what he did at the end of the KotCS End Credits, but I think this time it will return to the vanilla Raiders's March.(which we'll get twice on the OST at the expense of new music)

new version of the Raiders March that Williams has been using in concerts?

What is this now?

After KOTSC I became more optimistic about JW´s approach to end credit suites. However, I have to say that TLJ and especially TROS left me a little cold in that respect. I am hoping he pulls something special out the bag, but I imagine it will be the standard Raiders March, Dial Theme, Helena´s Theme, Raiders March reprise. Hopefully it sounds coherent at least (like TFA)

It wouldn't make sense, but I think it'd be cool if he blended the previous 4 end credits with #5 together. I do hope that, even though I do love the flourish in KOTCS's credits, this one packs more of a punch.