Netflix's One Piece (Live Action 2023) - Sonya Belousova & Giona Ostinelli

Knight of Ren

Is the music in the trailer from the show’s composers? Or is it just “trailer music”. Sounds good so I’d be hopeful it’s what the tone of the score will be like. 

edit: I though the video posted was the trailer, which I had watched last month. 

A small breakdown of the released track by the composers themselves. I don't know how the score will turn out, but their energy and passion is contagious, and it looks like it's going to be a lot of fun!

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwNqLZctW1I

Another single dropped today and this one's a song in collaboration with Aurora. I like it a bit less, but it's also really nice,and the composers said it's supposed to be the theme for the character of Nami.

The show is less than one week away, and I'm honestly quite excited for it!

Details on the soundtrack album announced!

image.jpeg

https://www.qobuz.com/nz-en/album/one-piece-soundtrack-from-the-netflix-series-sonya-belousova-giona-ostinelli/s1lfjygrdhsda

79 tracks, more than 4 hours of music!

Haven't listened to the whole thing yet, but I heard the track named "We Are!" that contains a great orchestral arrangement of the classic intro from the anime, so perhaps there are more hidden references in the score. I guess we'll see tomorrow!

I'm starting episode 4 at the moment.

I have to say, the show is a lot of fun. There are some things that don't entirely work. But if you want a fun, swashbuckling series to watch, then this is perfect.

The score is partly the thing that makes it so fun. The album is completely not in chronological order. I'm working on that while I'm watching. Will post it when I'm done.

I think this is waaay better than their work on The Witcher. And for the people who are complaining about the 4 hour runtime, it actually doesn't feel that long.

I've also watched the first three episodes and I'm enjoying it a lot so far! The main characters have a lot of charisma and great screen presence. Luffy's energy is contagious but my favorite so far is Zoro, with his edgy attitude. I really like how they tread the line between serious and comedic without feeling heavy-handed or too mickey-mousing. I think the episodes drag a bit too long, especially when it focuses on the marines storyline, which I don't care much for at the moment, but overall, it's quite a lot of fun. The score works really well within it, and I'm starting to pick up on some of the themes for each of the characters, with Luffy's theme being an absolute winner in all its variations (I particularly loved the action variation during the yard fight with the marines near the end of episode 1).

I've also been working on a chronological order because the album is a total mess in that regard. I will share what I have for the first three episodes, which I think it's pretty much accurate, but I might have missed one thing or two, so feel free to add or correct anything.

1x01

Wealth Fame Power

Captain Alvida

Windmill Village [the section from 1:01 to 1:42 is unused]

The Stretchy Kind of Monster

Roronoa Zoro

Bink’s Brew

Nami

Gotta Feed the Brain

Marine with a Bad Haircut vs Though Guy with Three Swords

Good Marines and Bad Marines

Why Do They Call Him Axe Hand Anyway? [2:38 – End]

Why Do They Call Him Axe Hand Anyway? [0:00 – 2:38]

Every Idiot Dreams of Finding the One Piece

The Imposter, the Pirate Hunter and the Thief

Gum Gum Whip

Goodbye

Vice Admiral Garp

Buggy The Clown [0:00 – 1:08]

1x02

The Grand Line

Chop Chop Cannon [0:00 – 0:36]

Buggy The Clown [2:03 – End]

Boogie, I’m Warning You

My Name is Cabaji

Marines Make the World a Better Place

Don’t You Ever Threaten My Friends

Chop Chop Cannon [0:36 – End]

For Honor, For Justice, For the Marines

Be Good, Luffy

1x03

The Pirates Are Coming

You Want To Steal a Ship

Technically, I’m Not a Salesman

VIP Entrance for Special Guests [the section from 0:00 to 1:01 is unused]

You All Must Stay For Dinner

A Giant Goldfish Monster

One Piece Tango

May I Present Ms. Kaya

Not Sailors, We Are Pirates

Midnight [0:00 – 1:37]

Kaya & Usopp

Kuro & the Black Pirates

The Pirates Are Here

1 hour ago, Knight of Ren said:

I've also been working on a chronological order because the album is a total mess in that regard. I will share what I have for the first three episodes, which I think it's pretty much accurate, but I might have missed one thing or two, so feel free to add or correct anything.

1x01

Wealth Fame Power

Captain Alvida

Windmill Village [the section from 1:01 to 1:42 is unused]

The Stretchy Kind of Monster

Roronoa Zoro

Bink’s Brew

Nami

Gotta Feed the Brain

Marine with a Bad Haircut vs Though Guy with Three Swords

Good Marines and Bad Marines

Why Do They Call Him Axe Hand Anyway? [2:38 – End]

Why Do They Call Him Axe Hand Anyway? [0:00 – 2:38]

Every Idiot Dreams of Finding the One Piece

The Imposter, the Pirate Hunter and the Thief

Gum Gum Whip

Goodbye

Vice Admiral Garp

Buggy The Clown [0:00 – 1:08]

1x02

The Grand Line

Boogie, I’m Warning You

My Name is Cabaji

Be Good, Luffy

1x03

The Pirates Are Coming

You Want To Steal a Ship

Technically, I’m Not a Salesman

VIP Entrance for Special Guests [the section from 0:00 to 1:01 is unused]

You All Must Stay For Dinner

A Giant Goldfish Monster

One Piece Tango

May I Present Ms. Kaya

Not Sailors, We Are Pirates

Midnight [0:00 – 1:37]

Kaya & Usopp

Kuro & the Black Pirates

The Pirates Are Here

For Episode 1 & 2 I've got the exact same thing as you.

For Episode 3, some tiny things:

The Going Merry goes after You Want To Steal A Ship.

And Midnight is fully used in Ep. 4 so I placed it there.

This is what I have for episode 4 & 5:

Training Montage

Midnight

Ready To Take Your Beating

The World's Greatest Swordsman Or Woman

Wado Ichimonji

Gum Gum Bell

The Real Adventures Of Captain Usopp

We Are!

Episode 5:

Let's Disappear

Smells Like Butter, Soy Sauce And Meat

Dracule Mihawk

I, Rononoa Zoro, Challenge You To A Duel

Wounds On The Back Are A Swordsman Greatest Shame

12 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

1x02

The Grand Line

Boogie, I’m Warning You

My Name is Cabaji

Lord Of The Coast

Be Good, Luffy

Lord Of The Coast belongs here as well. 

Episode 6

Captain Of The Dreaded Cook Pirates

Not Everyone Gets To Follow Their Dreams

Who's Hungry

Then Let The Fightning Begin

You Better Not Mess With The Straw Hats

I Owe You My Life

Episode 7

More Rare Than Medium

Captain Nezumi

Belle Mere

The Reminds Me Of Gol D. Roger

A Hundred Million Berry

I Ain't Surrendering

Luffy Help Me

Episode 8

This Is Our Fight

Bang!

Welcome To Arlong Park

Gum Gum Gatling

Gum Gum Battle Axe

Gum Gum Rocket

I Have My Friends

Goodbye

Wanted Dead Or Alive

I'm Gonna Be King Of The Pirates / We Are!

My Sails Are Set

I've not been able to place the following cues. If someone can, would be great.

You've Got The Same Dream As Me

A Massive Piece Of Goldfish Poop

That Would Be A Waste Of Really Good Liquor

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Lord Of The Coast belongs here as well. 

It does belong in that episode, but I checked and it should go after Don't You Ever Threaten My Friends, because it plays in the scene where Shanks rescues Young Luffy from the sea monster.

Some thoughts on episodes 5 and 6, with spoilers

Spoiler

I watched episodes 5 and 6 and I liked them a lot! Zoro's confrontation with Mihawk was fantastic and quite intense, and the introduction of Sanji was quite great too! Nami switching allegiances was evident since a few episodes back, but I wasn't expecting her to be working for Arlong! I really like how they have developed each character and their relationships, so when something bad happens, like Zoro being badly injured or Nami's betrayal, you really feel their pain and sadness.

I love how the music completely changes styles for each location or character, making it an important part of giving each of them a different personality. For example, with the villains you have circus music for Buggy, flamenco vibes for Mihawk and hip-hop beats for Arlong, while the main characters have also different vibes, like Sanji's jazz/lounge music, or Zoro's oriental-flavoured theme!

This is what I got as a chrono tracklist for episodes 5 and 6:

1x05

Let’s Disappear

Smells Like Butter, Soy Sauce and Meat

Dracule Mihawk

I, Roronoa Zoro, Challenge You to a Duel

Wounds on the Back are a Swordsman’s Greatest Shame

1x06

Captain of the Dreaded Cook Pirates

You’ve Got the Same Dream As Me

Not Everyone Gets to Follow Their Dreams

Who’s Hungry?

Then Let the Fighting Begin

You Better Not Mess With the Straw Hats

I Owe You My Life

4 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Episode 6

Captain Of The Dreaded Cook Pirates

Not Everyone Gets To Follow Their Dreams

Who's Hungry

Then Let The Fightning Begin

You Better Not Mess With The Straw Hats

I Owe You My Life

Episode 7

More Rare Than Medium

Captain Nezumi

Belle Mere

The Reminds Me Of Gol D. Roger

A Hundred Million Berry

I Ain't Surrendering

Luffy Help Me

Episode 8

This Is Our Fight

Bang!

Welcome To Arlong Park

Gum Gum Gatling

Gum Gum Battle Axe

Gum Gum Rocket

I Have My Friends

Goodbye

Wanted Dead Or Alive

I'm Gonna Be King Of The Pirates / We Are!

My Sails Are Set

I've not been able to place the following cues. If someone can, would be great.

You've Got The Same Dream As Me

A Massive Piece Of Goldfish Poop

That Would Be A Waste Of Really Good Liquor

You beat me to it by a minute!

Your list for 1x05 is basically the same as mine, and in 1x06 I have "You've Got the Same Dream as Me" right after "Captain of the Dreaded Cook Pirates". It plays during Sanji's flashback, when he's stranded on the island with Zeff.

I will get to watch episodes 7 and 8 this evening and will check out to see if I can place those other cues you mention!

15 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

It does belong in that episode, but I checked and it should go after Don't You Ever Threaten My Friends, because it plays in the scene where Shanks rescues Young Luffy from the sea monster.

Yeah. Typo.

15 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

Your list for 1x05 is basically the same as mine, and in 1x06 I have "You've Got the Same Dream as Me" right after "Captain of the Dreaded Cook Pirates". It plays during Sanji's flashback, when he's stranded on the island with Zeff.

Thanks

18 hours ago, Knight of Ren said:

The couple of tracks I haven't been able to place yet (Zoro vs Mihawk, Waste of Good Liquor, Goldfish Poop), are placed where I think fits best:

Zoro Vs. Mihawk is in the right place. It's the end credits after the fight.

I've been able to place That Would Be A Waste Of Good Liquor. It's in episode 6, right after the title. So it goes before Captain Of The Dreaded Cook Pirates.

Goldfish Poop I have not been able to place. I've skimmed through all the moments in the show where music was not already placed, but I couldn't find it (or parts of it). Maybe it's an alternate for the other cue, so in my playlist I put it after that.

On 02/09/2023 at 5:38 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

Zoro Vs. Mihawk is in the right place. It's the end credits after the fight.

I've been able to place That Would Be A Waste Of Good Liquor. It's in episode 6, right after the title. So it goes before Captain Of The Dreaded Cook Pirates.

Goldfish Poop I have not been able to place. I've skimmed through all the moments in the show where music was not already placed, but I couldn't find it (or parts of it). Maybe it's an alternate for the other cue, so in my playlist I put it after that.

Thanks for the info! I updated my Spotify playlist, and I'm working on a shorter playlist of the highlights of the season, so it's not such a long album.

That mixtape album sounds fun! I usually like that type of jazz/big band music, and I remember some great pieces playing during those scenes, so I'm sure I will enjoy it.

And the show seems to be a huge hit in many countries, so a second seasons is very probable, which I hope it really happens because I enjoyed a lot this first season.

Okay, I listened to the new album and went through some of the episodes again and I've been able to place all of the new tracks in their respective places. Most of them are from episode 5, one of them seems to be unused for a scene in episode 6 and then another one appears in episode 7:

1x05

Let’s Disappear

Smells Like Butter, Soy Sauce and Meat

Welcome to Baratie

True Bluefin Saute

Enjoy Your Meal

Something Sweet for Someone Sweet

Dracule Mihawk

Who the Hell is Monkey D Luffy

Party at Baratie

They Call it the All Blue

Drink

Wounds on the Back are a Swordsman’s Greatest Shame

Get Out of my Restaurant Now looks like it was supposed to be placed after Let the Fighting Begin in episode 6, but it's not used. And How About a Meal appears right before Captain Nezumi, in episode 7.

Even if quite short, it's quite a fun album, and some cues are essential because they expand on Sanji's material, which I love with that big band sound!

16 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

Okay, I listened to the new album and went through some of the episodes again and I've been able to place all of the new tracks in their respective places. Most of them are from episode 5, one of them seems to be unused for a scene in episode 6 and then another one appears in episode 7:

1x05

Let’s Disappear

Smells Like Butter, Soy Sauce and Meat

Welcome to Baratie

True Bluefin Saute

Enjoy Your Meal

Something Sweet for Someone Sweet

Dracule Mihawk

Who the Hell is Monkey D Luffy

Party at Baratie

They Call it the All Blue

Drink

Wounds on the Back are a Swordsman’s Greatest Shame

Get Out of my Restaurant Now looks like it was supposed to be placed after Let the Fighting Begin in episode 6, but it's not used. And How About a Meal appears right before Captain Nezumi, in episode 7.

Even if quite short, it's quite a fun album, and some cues are essential because they expand on Sanji's material, which I love with that big band sound!

I had the same.

I believe How About A Meal is already included in More Rare Than Medium. So it should be in that place indeed

I checked and it's not the same, even if they're a bit similar. How About a Meal appears when Sanji offers himself to cook for Nami's sister. It plays after More Rare Than Medium, but there's some unreleased music in between.

8 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

Anyone have any idea what's the name of the music that plays here?

The soundtrack is a mess in terms of chronological order :lol:

That track is called "Marine With A Bad Haircut Vs. Tough Guy Three Swords"

And if you scan through the whole thread, myself and Knight Of Ren have put the whole album in chronological order

Nice! I haven't seen a lot of discussion around here about either the show or the music but I enjoyed it a lot, and I've been listening to the music many times, and it's on its way to become one of my favorite scores of the year. I hope the composer duo will return in S2 and they can develop all the amazing themes for these characters, and bring some new great ones!

You should. It's a lot of fun. Has a lot of heart and all the main character grow throughout the season and have their own personal backstories.

On top of that some terrific action. It's a real winner

Agree! For me the highlight of the show are the characters, especially the Straw Hats. I love their development and their interactions with each other, and truly shows that both the actors and the creators understand the characters very well. And on top of that, even if the first episode can feel a bit slow or uneven, the show is a lot of fun, with some great action sequences and an overall energetic sense of adventure! It's not without its flaws, but it's definitely worth a try!

Yeah, I hope not. Trapanese is nice, but their style is much more unique and interesting, and I really hope they can expand on the themes and the soundscape they have created in this first season!

Just finished season 1, I thought it was super enjoyable, if a bit silly and strange at times. Very excited for season 2. I tried to read a bit of the OG manage and some of the cartoon on Netflix - not really for me I guess haha. But the live action show was easier to get into.

I see the composers for the soundtrack also did The Witcher - is that worth a listen to? I've never seen the show or listened to it before.

4 minutes ago, Fargo said:

I see the composers for the soundtrack also did The Witcher - is that worth a listen to? I've never seen the show or listened to it before.

Their work on One Piece is much more approachable than their work on The Witcher.

The album for The Witcher is also very long, but is a bit harder to get through imo. I've cut down the album to 80 minutes, which I think works better.

The most impressive thing about The Witcher score is that they created a sound that is now so linked with the show.

Yeah, both scores are great in their own ways, but One Piece is much more approachable, even if a bit too long. The Witcher has some really strong themes and a great use of voices and folk instruments, but the album length and the mess of chronological order makes it a bit harder to enjoy. A shorter playlist is definitwly recommended, but it's also a great score!

While I overall like that the album is long and covers all the music in the series, I wanted to trim it down to a more manageable listening experience. I came up with this, choosing tracks that piqued my interested the most while casually listening through the album. Total runtime ended up being 1 Hr 12 Min. I used KnightofRen and JNHFan's notes above to put it in order, so thanks for that!

image.png

I started watching episode 1 and gave up after 10 minutes. Seems like everyone loves this show lately but me. It felt silly and unreal with cgi ocean and pelicans wearing suits and hats and a guy sleeping in a tight closed barrel for hours while drifting on the ocean and people with colored hair jumping all over and a fat black woman captain yelling and swinging on a rope holding herself with one hand… I don’t know, this show is just not for me I guess. Maybe I’ll give it another try in a decade. 

I noticed the absence of music only in the opening of the show. The complete middle section of "Wealth Fame Power" is nearly completely drowned. This maybe happens elsewhere as well.

But the mix of the music itself is pretty awful. The loud passages are so crammed and compressed. You can actually hear the compression artefacts here: (listen to the weird phasing on the brass section https://youtu.be/EHvALZz6vtU?t=151)

The drums completely lost their punch and due to how the entire thing is mixed I actually didn't noticed that they used a real orchestra for this score.

Really a shame because the music itself is (as well as the show) really great. Probably my favorite score this summer.

• 6 months later...

I hardly even noticed the score until the track at the start of episode 5, "Let's Disappear," when I could pick out the main theme. At first, it all seemed way too overdone, but it has grown on me so much since then. I really love all the variations of the main theme, especially in "Gotta Feed the Brain" and "Wanted Dead or Alive." If Sonya and Giona don't work on the second season, it'll surely go downhill like what happened to The Witcher.