The Choral Section of “Farewell Neverland”(2:19) from Hook haunts my soul

Mr. Gitz

Agree.

Some of the choral work is absolutely ethereal and seems to connect directly with the soul on an almost tangible level.

As someone once put it to me, it makes one miss people one has never met.

If Face of Pan was based on Agnes of God, I have to say Williams took that piece and absolutely elevated it into the stratosphere.

10 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Agree.

Some of the choral work is absolutely ethereal and seems to connect directly with the soul on an almost tangible level.

As someone once put it to me, it makes one miss people one has never met.

If Face of Pan was based on Agnes of God, I have to say Williams took that piece and absolutely elevated it into the stratosphere.

I think JW did what he so often does when working off a temp track. He makes his music much more emotionally or narratively direct and gives the individual musical components a more interesting phrasing. Similar to The Immolation Scene from ROTS and the piece it is based on. JW heightens the emotions and speaks a little more directly.

13 hours ago, Thor said:

It's a good moment, but I get the same feeling not in that track, but in "The Face of Pan"/"You are the Pan". Always have. One of the best John Williams compositions of all time, that one.

Oh for sure that’s a tremendous piece. One of JW’s all time best. But that’s a little more uplifting & inspiring. 

But there’s something just so…achingly beautiful about this composition. It pierces right through you. 

What a score

Coincidentally I was going to make a similar comment a few days ago about this same section. It's neat that we all seem to have had the exact same experience with the same piece... You have a hard time describing it, but everyone here knows precisely what you're talking about. Just Johnny's brilliance on display again!

john-williams-happy.gif

3 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

If the movie had handled the lost boys better, i think it would be a better regarded film than it is. But it really is not a bad movie and it ticks the emotions a lot. Music is sublime

This is arguably true. I like the Lost Boys less than the sets.

7 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

It's so strangely sad for a happy ending. It's a weird indescribable combination of emotions. :lol:

Or bittersweet, as we like to call it. HOOK is filled with those sentiments.