First Impressions: The FILMS of 2024

Jay

Here's the movies I'm looking forward to seeing this year

Jan 12 - Mean Girls - the original is a classic; This looks bad from the trailers, yet I must see how badly they ruined it

Jan 26 - Miller's Girl - looks hilariously bad, will be fun to watch with beer

Feb 2 - Argylle - I still like Mathew Vaughn a lot

Feb 9 - Lisa Frankenstein - I haven't seen a trailer yet (is there one?) but Kathryn Newton & Carla Gugino have me on board

Feb 23 - Drive-Away Dolls - this was supposed to come out last year but delayed from the strikes. I love Geraldine Viswanathan and Beanie Feldstein, and this is directed by Ethan Coen!

Mar 1 - Dune Part 2 - loved the first

Mar 8 - Love Lies Bleeding - Katy O'Brian + Kristen Stewart, good lord

Mar 29 - Ghostbusters Frozen Empire - eh, it'll probably be bad, but have enough fun parts.  The first was a plane watch for me

Mar 29 - Mickey17 - Bong Joon-ho's followup to Parasite.  Dunno why there isn't more buzz on this!

Apr 26 - Civil War - I never even saw Alex Garland's last film (Men), but I liked Ex Machina and Annihilation to want to see this

May 3 - The Fall Guy - will probably be dumb fun + I loved Bullet Train

May 17 - IF - definitely a home watch, might be good

May 24 - Furiosa - I hope its half as good as Fury Road - if it is, it'll be worth it

May 24 - Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes - Curious to see where they go after Reeves' excellent two entries

May ?? - Thelma The Unicorn - just for the score

June 7 - Ballerina - Ana de Armas in an action flick? Sure!

June 14 - Inside Out 2 - I'm SO skeptical on this, but must see what they do

June 28 - A Quiet Place Day 1 - I dunno.  I loved the first two, but with this being a prequel and Krasinki jumping ship to make IF instead, it'll probably suck

June 28 - Horizon Part 1 - I have faith in Costner

July 12 - Project Artemis - Scarlett Johansson, where've you been?

July 26 - Deadpool 3 - I can't imagine this will be good, but bringing Jackman into the fold was a genius move, so I have faith I guess

Summer - Beverly Hills Cop 4 - eh, why not

Aug 2 - Harold and the Purple Crayon - just for the score

Aug 9 - Borderlands - just for the cast

Aug 16 - Horizon Part 2 - only if Part 1 was good

Aug 16 - Alien Romulus - hopefully better than Covenant

Sep 6 - Beetlejuice 2 - why not

Sep 20 - Wolfs - Jon Watts' followup to his Spider-man trilogy is an action-thriller starring George Clooney, Brad Pitt, and Amy Adams? How is there not more buzz on this?

Nov 15 - Red One - good cast, hopefully its fun enough

Nov 22 - Gladiator 2 - Ridley Scott films are always worth watching at least once

Dec 13 - The War of the Rohirrim - why not

Dec 25 - Nosferatu - sure

Dec ?? - That Christmas - just for the score

?? - The Old Guard 2 - I'm not even sure if this is still slotted for 2024 or not, but I liked the first one a lot

?? - The Mothership - This Halle Berry / Netflix movie was filmed in 2021 near where I live, including in a diner I've eaten in.  Been waiting since then for it to come out.  What happened to it?

Hmm haven't heard of that one.  What do you like about it?

Huh interesting.  I only knew her from The Rings Of Power

Added Saint Maud to my watchlist!

I didn't know there was going to be a follow up to Saint Maud! Great movie. Loved the atmosphere and the slow-burn plot development till the chilling last shot. And Morfydd Clark was great as well!

In 2024, the ones I'm looking forward the most are Dune Part II, Mickey17, Furiosa and Nosferatu, and probably some more will grab my attention as the start going through festivals and the reactions come out. But those are the ones I will definitely see as soon as I can!

Just now, Knight of Ren said:

I didn't know there was going to be a follow up to Saint Maud!

I just meant that it’s her next film, by the way; I don’t imagine there’s any connection between the stories.

Oh silly me! That makes sense though, as there wasn't much story to tell afterwards...

Anyway, interested in that to see what else see can offer, plus Kristen Stewart which I feel usually does great jobs on smaller films.

In the last year or so I ended up seeing Kristen Stewart in a bunch of smaller films - Clouds of Sils Maria, Personal Shopper, and Underwater - and she was seriously EXCELLENT in all of them, and I look forward to seeing more of her work.  I think I'd only seen her in Panic Room, Adventureland, and American Ultra prior.  She's got talent!

My favourite of her films is Reichardt’s Certain Women, though it’s a multi-storyline film in which she appears in only one of the threads (alongside Lily Gladstone, now famous for Killers of the Flower Moon).

23 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think I'd only seen her in Panic Room, Adventureland, and American Ultra prior.

And Happiest Season, I seem to recall? Or perhaps I’m misremembering...

On 02/01/2024 at 10:48 AM, Jay said:

Mar 29 - Mickey17 - Bong Joon-ho's followup to Parasite.  Dunno why there isn't more buzz on this!

WB has taken this off their schedule; It's now undated

Why!? They finished filming this thing in 2022.  Release it, WB!

Dune pt. 2 is about all I'm looking forward to. The book is better, but that first movie was pretty good.

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

WB has taken this off their schedule; It's now undated

Why!? They finished filming this thing in 2022.  Release it, WB!

I have a feeling this movie is going to be a turkey. WB barely promoted it (I don't remember it having a trailer, but I may be wrong), pretty much hided it and now it's undated. 

It won't be too long before an article on Variety or The Hollywood Reporter appears describing the production problems, executives fighing Bong Joon-Ho, etc.

1 minute ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I was only really expecting one movie this year and here it is pushed back by the great WB. I just hope they don't Batgirled it

I don't think they're going to shelve it, at least not for now. Apparently, the reason for moving up the release date is that the movie needs more time to be properly done:

Sources tell Variety that the decision to move the highly anticipated sci-fi movie from the Korean filmmaker was made to allow more time to finish the project, which had been affected due to last year’s strikes and other various production shifts. Thus, the latest installment in Warner Bros. and Legendary Entertainment’s “Godzilla and Kong” franchise, which was previously scheduled to hit theaters on April 12, will now debut two weeks earlier.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/warner-bros-bong-joon-ho-mickey-17-from-release-schedule-moves-up-godzilla-x-kong-the-new-empire-1235867003/

I'm most interested probably in the new Alien movie (I really like the two contemporary ones) and Gladiator 2. Score-wise too at the moment.

However, the one I'll almost certainly end up seeing in a cinema, which I rarely do nowadays, is Argylle. The trailer looks really fun, but the key is that my friend found out about the cast and it's got Henry Cavill (her crush, of sorts) and Dua Lipa (mine) and decided that we absolutely have to go to see it purely because of that. Plus I've liked a lot of Vaughn's films.

• 2 weeks later...

The Mothership - This Halle Berry / Netflix movie was filmed in 2021 near where I live, including in a diner I've eaten in.  Been waiting since then for it to come out.  What happened to it?

Well, shit.  I guess I'll never get to see it

https://maxblizz.com/netflix-scraps-release-of-sci-fi-thriller-the-mothership-starring-halle-berry/

It hasn't been given an official release date, but based on its 2022 announcement and 2023 production, Andrew Stanton's live-action IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE for Searchlight Pictures ought to release this year. I worship Stanton even when he misses, and this film reportedly draws inspiration from things like INTERSTELLAR and MAGNOLIA, which is nothing but good news to me. Hoping for a Thomas Newman reunion!!!

(Also, this is from an original script from Colby Day, whose first produced screenplay, SPACEMAN, is releasing on Netflix on March 1st and seems to have potential!)

2 minutes ago, Under-Terrestrial said:

It hasn't been given an official release date, but based on its 2022 announcement and 2023 production, Andrew Stanton's live-action IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE for Searchlight Pictures ought to release this year. I worship Stanton even when he misses, and this film reportedly draws inspiration from things like INTERSTELLAR and MAGNOLIA, which is nothing but good news to me. Hoping for a Thomas Newman reunion!!!

Giacchino would probably get the first call, but he might be too busy with Them!

SelfreliancecomedymainimageBig591.jpg

Self Reliance

Jake Johnson has already starred in a handful of similar movies (Digging For Fire, Win It All, Ride The Eagle), and he seems to have been pretty inspired by those quite heavily when writing and directing this one, because it sort of takes elements and style from all of them and blends them together into a new but similar story.  He plays a aimless middle aged dude in a dead end job, living at home, who one day gets brought to a rare opportunity by Andy Samberg (playing himself): A "dark web" game where hunters will try to kill him for the next 30 days, and if he survives, he wins $1 million.  The one thing they say that gets him to agree to is, is that if he is with another person, the hunters cannot kill him.

The movie then really struggles to balance tone going forward, where it largely tries to have a light and quirky tone, and a romance begins to blossom with a person who answers his craigslist add looking for others who might be playing the game with the fact that HE COULD BE MURDERED AT ANY MOMENT, and there are so many scenes where he just goes out in to the open with nobody next to him and nothing happens.  And then other scenes where hunters are there have this intensity that just doesn't jive with the rest of the movie's feel.  Still, I would say I overall found it enjoyable despite its flaws; The same message as the other three movies I mentioned (the important of relationships over monetary gain) its a bit diluted now after doing it so many times.  But if you haven't seen those movies, this might not be a bad place to start, since the cast has a lot of fun here.  Those other 3 movies are all better though.

It's on Hulu.

Orion And The Dark

The trailer for this didn't really sell me on it, but when I looked it up and found out that Charlie Kaufman had written it I was actually really intrigued.

I would say that this is still very much a Kaufman film, even if it is animated and he didn't direct. Orion, the protagonist, is very much a Kaufman creation. He's anxious, has a lot of fears, with the biggest one being the dark. And that's where the story takes off.

This is a film mostly about facing your fears, but it's also (among plenty of other things) about the act of storytelling and how this goes down from generation to generation. There are jokes that will fly over the heads of kids, but are fantastic for adults.

There are also shades of both Inside Out & Rise Of The Guardians here. There are existential things that have been given life and feelings. Here they are Dark, Light, Dreams, Sleep, Insomnia, Quiet & Unexplained Noises. All these characters are really well executed and beautifully animated. I especially loved how Dark is sad because so many people are afraid of him.

The whole films is beautiful to look at. There is a mix of 3D-animation and more pastel colors and 2D stuff. The score is great and the voice cast is strong with Paul Walter Hauser being the standout.

So all in, this was a very pleasant surprise and actually exactly the kind of film I needed today. 

On 02/01/2024 at 4:48 PM, Jay said:

Here's the movies I'm looking forward to seeing this year

Jan 12 - Mean Girls - the original is a classic; This looks bad from the trailers, yet I must see how badly they ruined it

Jan 26 - Miller's Girl - looks hilariously bad, will be fun to watch with beer

Feb 2 - Argylle - I still like Mathew Vaughn a lot

Feb 9 - Lisa Frankenstein - I haven't seen a trailer yet (is there one?) but Kathryn Newton & Carla Gugino have me on board

Feb 23 - Drive-Away Dolls - this was supposed to come out last year but delayed from the strikes. I love Geraldine Viswanathan and Beanie Feldstein, and this is directed by Ethan Coen!

Mar 1 - Dune Part 2 - loved the first

Mar 8 - Love Lies Bleeding - Katy O'Brian + Kristen Stewart, good lord

Mar 29 - Ghostbusters Frozen Empire - eh, it'll probably be bad, but have enough fun parts.  The first was a plane watch for me

Apr 26 - Civil War - I never even saw Alex Garland's last film (Men), but I liked Ex Machina and Annihilation to want to see this

May 3 - The Fall Guy - will probably be dumb fun + I loved Bullet Train

May 17 - IF - definitely a home watch, might be good

May 24 - Furiosa - I hope its half as good as Fury Road - if it is, it'll be worth it

May 24 - Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes - Curious to see where they go after Reeves' excellent two entries

May ?? - Thelma The Unicorn - just for the score

June 7 - Ballerina - Ana de Armas in an action flick? Sure!

June 14 - Inside Out 2 - I'm SO skeptical on this, but must see what they do

June 28 - A Quiet Place Day 1 - I dunno.  I loved the first two, but with this being a prequel and Krasinki jumping ship to make IF instead, it'll probably suck

June 28 - Horizon Part 1 - I have faith in Costner

July 12 - Project Artemis - Scarlett Johansson, where've you been?

July 26 - Deadpool 3 - I can't imagine this will be good, but bringing Jackman into the fold was a genius move, so I have faith I guess

Summer - Beverly Hills Cop 4 - eh, why not

Aug 2 - Harold and the Purple Crayon - just for the score

Aug 9 - Borderlands - just for the cast

Aug 16 - Horizon Part 2 - only if Part 1 was good

Aug 16 - Alien Romulus - hopefully better than Covenant

Sep 6 - Beetlejuice 2 - why not

Sep 20 - Wolfs - Jon Watts' followup to his Spider-man trilogy is an action-thriller starring George Clooney, Brad Pitt, and Amy Adams? How is there not more buzz on this?

Nov 15 - Red One - good cast, hopefully its fun enough

Nov 22 - Gladiator 2 - Ridley Scott films are always worth watching at least once

Dec 13 - The War of the Rohirrim - why not

Dec 25 - Nosferatu - sure

Dec ?? - That Christmas - just for the score

?? - The Old Guard 2 - I'm not even sure if this is still slotted for 2024 or not, but I liked the first one a lot

?? - The Mothership - This Halle Berry / Netflix movie was filmed in 2021 near where I live, including in a diner I've eaten in.  Been waiting since then for it to come out.  What happened to it?

Wow, it's EPIC how little interest I can muster for ANY of those.

Where did the years go when there were TONS of fun movies?!?

Not much better on the streaming services either.

At least we've got Percy Jackson.

But that's about it...?

AAAABXybRH-OQpzlbMbGR25GYPlFMUABKJElZnh4

Lift

Typical January dumping ground movie.  On paper it could have turned out great - an action/comedy/heist movie directed by F. Gary Gray (Friday, The Italian Job, Straight Outta Compton, Fast and Furious 8) starring Kevin Hart, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, Sam Worthington, Vincent D'Onofrio, Billy Magnussen, Jacob Batalon, and Jean Reno.  And yet, the movie never really grabs you, it all just kind of happens.  Hart is a thief who gets caught pulling off his latest height (somehow involving both a Van Gough and... NFTs...), so former fling / interpol Agent Mbatha-Raw ends up hiring him to steal from a real bad guy (Jean Reno) and the next heist insues.  Clearly inspired by Ocean's 11 but never coming close to its swagger and momentum, the movie leaves no lasting impression at all (and final final twist is as obvious as they come)

It's on Netflix

Argylle

This film was totally bonkers, but I had an absolute blast.
Look, it's a Matthew Vaughn film, so you always know you're getting a certain type of crazy. And this one is probably the craziest of all his films. There are some sequences here that are nuts, but I actually thought they all worked really well.

Let's get the bad stuff out of the way. I'm not blind so I can see that there was some bad CGI, but it was waaay less than I thought it would be after hearing stuff from others. And yes, the script is not perfect and if you think about it too long there are really some bigger plot hole and the final two scenes made ut a bit confusing.

But I feel that this film was made with one thing in mind and that is to just have a good time at the movies. And that's what I had. The first 25 minutes went a bit slow for me, but from the moment the train fight happened I was totally in. I loved the action scenes. My favourite was the coloured smoke. That was totally over the top, but I really loved it.

The cast was great. Bryce Dallas Howard & Sam Rockwell were great in the lead roles. I thought it was great to have two people as action heroes/spies that normally wouldn't be in that role. Just like Vaughn did with Colin Firth in Kingsman. Put that opposite the roles of Henry Cavill, Dua Lipa & John Cena and you have a really fun mix.
Bryan Cranston, Catherine O'Hara & Samuel L. Jackson were fun. Ariana DeBose was criminally underused though.
And a quick shoutout to Sofia Boutella, who had a very small role, but she was really great!

The music by composer Lorne Balfe was also a lot of fun and there were some fantastic needle drops.

So yeah, this film is far from perfect, it's not Vaughn's best and won't end up in my Top films of the year, but I was entertained for 2 hours and sometimes that's all I ask for when I go to the cinema.

On 24/01/2024 at 11:43 AM, Jay said:

Damn

https://ew.com/netflix-scrapped-halle-berry-movie-the-mothership-8557400

Even if it was a bad movie, I was really looking forward to seeing it just for all the filming they did so close to me.  Big bummer!

• 2 weeks later...

I was watching a compilation of trailers for upcoming movies and then I saw that they're actually releasing two movies about little girls who can see imaginary friends, but one of them is a family comedy and the other is a horror?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IF_(film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imaginary_(film)

Probably one of the weirdest cases of twin films :lol:

The compilation I mentioned is this one below. The two imaginary friends trailer come one after the other, so I thought they were the same movie with a weird tonal change.

• 3 weeks later...

Dune Part 2 - the conflict between the various factions for control of Arrakis' 'spice' production begins in earnest, and in its depiction Villeneuve turns in an absolutely spectacular sci-fi epic that thrills the eye and stirs the blood. Brilliant.

I'm very happy that Dune: Part II got delayed. That way they can give the Oscar to Chrisopher Nolan this year and next year they can give it to Denis Villeneuve.

Keaton's reaction to seeing it really has me excited!

From best to worse:

1. Oppie;
  2. Dune II;
  3. Avatar 2;
  4. Maverick

Oppenheimer and Dune 2 may change places depending on my mood. I like all four of them though, but Maverick a lot less than the others.

• 2 weeks later...

role-play-1.jpg?w=1000&h=288&crop=1

Role Play

In this movie Kaley Cuoco is a world class assassin, a fact she hides from her husband David Oyelowo as they live in the suburbs with their two kids.  But her frequent "business trips" are putting a strain on their relationship, so they decide to do a sexy role play as strangers in a bar in a city... where what do you know, she bumps into another assassin at the hotel bar.  He's played by Bill Nighy and this length sequence is the only time the movie really sings, as she has to talk him out of identifying her in front of her husband, then sneak in to confront him in his own hotel room.  Unfortunately after this genuinely good sequence, the rest of the film is kind of a slog as she has to flee to Europe to confront a leader of assassins, and the husband flies out with the kids who all get captured and she has to save the day.  Connie Nielsen is wasted in this stretch of the film. Oh well.

It's on Amazon Prime

Ghostbusters : Frozen Empire - another eeeevil supernatural entity threatens the world, and 'busters old and new step up to stop it. Reasonable fun, but unfortunately it doesn't really manage to find enough for all of the characters to do.

240305120515-hollywood-entertainment-mov

Ricky Stanicky

Very silly movie where Zac Efron, Andrew Santino, and Jermaine Fowler are life-long friends, who as children made up a friend named Ricky Stannicky as the culprit of various shenanigans as a way to get them out of trouble.  Now adults, they use the Ricky Stannicky excuse to get out of family obligations, and go party together instead, on a regular basis.  A series of circumstances leads to them hiring John Cena, a washed up amateur actor and singer in Atlantic City to come to a bris and pretend to be Ricky, comedy ensues.  Sadly while John Cena and William H Macy (as two of the friends' boss) are the only ones who really go all out and bring great comedy into this; the three leads either don't bring much to the table or seem to just be phoning it in.  A decent enough amount of laughs to make it watchable, but not a new classic.

It's on Amazon Prime

Late Night With The Devil - have seen this Seventies-set horror described as 'Rosemary's Baby meets Network' ... seems about right. Late-night US talk show 'Night Owls' is flagging in the ratings, so its host Jack Delroy (David Dastmalchian) decides to do an occultism-themed special on Hallowe'en night. Amongst his guests is a parapsychologist and her subject, a teenage girl who was rescued from a Satanic church's mass suicide but who is apparently possessed by a demon she's named 'Mr Wriggles'. Without giving too much away, let's just say things go ... somewhat awry.

This manages to land a fair few shocks and also some satire about TV's sensationalist nature, 'selling your soul' to be a success on it etc. Dastmalchian is pitch-perfect as the show host.

It's a Shudder production, and will be on the site from April 19th. They offer a 7-day free trial, so there's an option to see it for nada.  

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

Personally I like Afterlife a bit more, but this was still a whole lotta fun.

The whole cast here is great, and there's quite a lot of them. I think it both works and doesn't work. Because there are so many human characters to give time to some don't feel explored or used enough and it also means that the villain hardly shows up. Which is a real shame, because he looked absolutely spectacular and felt like a real threat. But because he showed up so late, he was also taken care of pretty quickly. I would've preferred him showing up sooner and be more of a throughline in the whole film.

I always like Paul Rudd and he was great here. I am a big fan of Carrie Coon, so I'm always happy to see her. McKenna Grace remains a joy to watch and even though Finn Wolfhard and Celeste O'Connor hardly have anything to do, they still did a good job.

From the OG cast, Dan Aykroyd was my favourite. He gets the most to do and seems to have the most fun in the role. Stantz has always been my favourite Ghostbuster and that streak continues here. Ernie Hudson, Annie Pots & Bill Murray were all great, but also didn't get a lot to do.

As for the new cast, I both liked and didn't like Kumail Nanjiani. I liked his performance. His comedic timing was great and he played along really well with the rest of cast. What I didn't like was the role he was given. I know these films feature a bunch of ghosts and stuff, but it always felt like there was a certain groundedness to all the films. With his character being able to control fire, that kinda broke that vibe for me and didn't work.

Patton Oswalt showed up for a short bit, but he made full use of the time he had.

Besides the small quibles I mentioned and that I thought 20 minutes in the middle dragged a bit, I still really enjoyed myself. These films are made to entertain and that's what it succeeds in doing. It had some really fun visuals, cool sequences and a fantastic score by Dario Marianelli, beautifully incorporating Elmer Bernstein's original material and building his score from there.

I would definitely go if they made another one of these. It just feels good to be in the company of these characters.

Monkey Man

I really love Dev Patel! I've always enjoyed his performances in films like Slumdog Millionaire, the two Marigold Hotel films, Hotel Mumbai & The Green Knight. I've always hoped he would truly break-out so to speak and when it was first announced that he had directed, written and starred in his own action film, and that Jordan Peele was the one who took it to cinemas, I was soooo excited. So I'm really bummed that I didn't enjoy it.

To be honest, it felt a bit like Patel bit of more than he could chew by doing the writing, directing and acting. Because of these 3 I think only his performance works. Patel is a very gifted actor and that's on full display here.

But I thought the script was seriously lacking. It felt like this film was 3 films in one, with none of them getting enough time to breathe, but somehow I also found it all quite boring.

This was advertised as a John Wick-like action flick, which it very much isn't. There's really only 2 action scenes and together they make up about 20 minutes of the film. That means the other hour and 40 minutes were quite a slog for me to sit through. And when the action finally came there were two things going through my mind.

Where is the evolution of him suddenly becoming a mass killer? There was imo no logic to it.

And what the fuck is with all the shaky cam and close ups during the fights. I honestly can't tell you what happened in the action scenes because I got dizzy and the close ups made me have had no idea who was who. I think this is the first time a film was almost completely ruined for me by it's cinematography.

What I did like was the whole cast. They did a fantastic job. And really appreciated the spotlight on the trans community in India and there were definitely some moments where I was really impressed with Patel as a director.

Overall, this just wasn't it for me. This could've been an exhilarating tight 90 mimute film, for streaming dare I say.

Just watched Civil War. Good movie but has a very bleak message. I don’t know if I’ll ever rewatch it. If it is Alex Garland’s last film I find that interesting. The movie is really about journalism and how it numbs you to the reality of things. Think Nightcrawler meets The Hurt Locker. I still need to watch Men but of the other three Garland directed films I’d rank them from best to worst as Ex Machina, Annihilation, and lastly Civil War.