Jerry Goldsmith's INCHON (1981) - 2024 Intrada 3-CD Complete

Jay

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's maybe worth noting that the 1988 edition premiered 20 seconds of music in "The Tanks" that disappeared from the 2006, 2013, and 2020 editions. It's finally back now in the 2024 edition.

Tanks for this information!

IMG_3912.webp

I never noticed the obvious censoring in that scene until I was an adult

"Donated by some of the finest (.....) families in all of Germany"

That’s new to me. Is it an alternate dub?  I thought he was pausing in response to the Sultan of Hatay’s disinterest. 

My favorite alternate line was changing the Castle Brunwald guy’s “Mae West” to “Mickey Mouse” , as though 80s audiences might not know who she was. 

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I created this thread with the text you see in it now and have never changed it. The 2020 edition had its own thread

My mistake, sorry, thanks for clarifying.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

20 seconds of music

😂

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Jewish" was muted when it hit home video.

I haven’t watched the film in a while. Is it still muted on Blu-ray and/or 4K? 

2 hours ago, Andy said:

My favorite alternate line was changing the Castle Brunwald guy’s “Mae West” to “Mickey Mouse” , as though 80s audiences might not know who she was. 

Wait, what?! I didn’t know that! I’ve watched this film at least a dozen times since it came out and never knew about this.

IMG_0115.gif

They are at fault misleading their customers into thinking that they were purchasing the definitive version of that score. It’s not our fault, either that since then they have found a different master. They shouldn’t have released an almost identical set. They should compensate those who bought the previous one. 

15 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

ship them for free to anyone who paid them $30 for the first one?

EXACTLY. That would be the honest and fair thing to do, if they chose to re-release an almost identical product to a previous one, otherwise they would be at fault of false advertisement. 

If you advertise something as the definitive version, then you can’t say that “our mistake, we were wrong, it really isn’t, there is a more definitive than the one we said was the definitive.” It’s absolutely unacceptable, and every customer who bought the 2020 version should be compensated either by getting a free copy, replacement discs or a free digital download. They could’ve chosen to make a new program, with a new design and actually make it a desirable for those who already own the 2020 set. But instead Intrada went the cheap and dishonest way, and simply made new discs and used the 2020 design and added 8 and 1/2 minutes of alternate takes and 20 seconds of the main program that they left out from previous releases, another fiasco btw. 

The LEAST Intrada should do is to apologize to everyone who based on their advertisement, bought the 2020 “definitive, complete” version, and offer them some kind of compensation. That’s what an honest and correct company that respect and value their customers would do. It’s still not too late for them to do the right thing btw.

3 hours ago, JTW said:

.... won't give those who bought the previous release, a free copy, free replacement discs or a free digital download. That's awful business on Intrada's part.

I mean, that's just ridiculous. Reissues containing the same music that has been remastered happens ALL THE TIME.  I own 4 copies of Solti's Ring Cycle. Each time Decca has reissued the cycle having cleaned up the original masters, or having discovered a new way of extracting a bit more detail, or adjusting recording errors and faults in tapes, and made those new copies available.  You don't have to buy them.  It doesn't denigrate an earlier version. 

The idea of crying foul (or just plain crying) because an album has been reissued in a slightly different way is childish.  Demanding that the labels send you free copies/discs/digital downloads is pure entitlement. 

2 minutes ago, HanFiredFirst said:

I own 4 copies of Solti's Ring Cycle.

That’s your problem, not mine.

On 13/02/2024 at 6:07 PM, JTW said:

I think this release is mostly for die-hard fans, and chances are they already have one of the earlier releases, so it's highly likely that most of them, like me, won't triple dip, especially that I bought the 2020 3-CD Set which wasn't cheap back then, and I still haven't listened to it more than once, and not even all three discs. So other than the JG purists, I don't know who's going to get this expensive 3-Disc re-re-re-release of a hardly known JG score that was released with the same exact design and almost identical program a couple of years ago.

Wait, what - so you're not actually that bothered about the soundtrack you're screaming blue murder about Intrada reissuing?

3 minutes ago, HanFiredFirst said:

Demanding that the labels send you free copies/discs/digital downloads is pure entitlement. 

Misleading the customers and not compensating them taking them for suckers is pure entitlement.

1 minute ago, HanFiredFirst said:

Wait, what - so you're not actually that bothered about the soundtrack you're screaming blue murder about Intrada reissuing?

Dude, read the actual comment.

28 minutes ago, JTW said:

Misleading the customers and not compensating them taking them for suckers is pure entitlement.

Dude, read the actual comment.

A. There was no misleading. I'm not even going to comment on the compensation part of your reply.

B. Your actual comment, "dude", says you have listened to the score once in 4 years: I still haven't listened to it more than once, and not even all three discs. So other than the JG purists, I don't know who's going to get this expensive 3-Disc re-re-re-release

I couldn’t purchase it again even if I wanted. I already DID, back in 2020. And now they are telling us that that set is inferior and we buy THIS SET because it’s sooooo much better. Well f them. They should give those of us who gave them our money once free copies, and everyone else who doesn’t own it yet can buy it. 

8 minutes ago, HanFiredFirst said:

There was no misleading.

There absolutely was, back in 2020, saying it was the complete 3-CD version. 

Dude, just because I haven’t listened to all 3 discs, I still purchased it, gave Intrada my hard-earned money! What the actual f are you talking about? I paid good money for that set because Intrada said it was a great and complete score, and now they are rereleasing the same music in a set that looks identical and has a better sound quality. 

1 hour ago, JTW said:

Wait, what?! I didn’t know that! I’ve watched this film at least a dozen times since it came out and never knew about this.

IMG_0115.gif

The original Mae West line made it into the “Story of” CD.  He pronounces it very German, “Mae Vest!” which probably contributed to the substitution.   If I get a chance I’ll share the audio excerpt. 

9 minutes ago, Andy said:

He pronounces it very German, “Mae Vest!” which probably contributed to the substitution.  

I doubt it, as that's pretty much part of his character anyway.

What I meant, was that Spielberg and the editors probably thought dumb audiences would be further confused by the reference with the German accent.

Here's the clip from the "Story of" Album.

Since I’ve never actually listened to this score, is the 2020 release BAD or just imperfect? Just in case I find one cheap from someone selling…

Given your misfortunes with Cutthroat Island, you probably are best off listening to the 2020 edition off Spotify while you still can to decide for yourself.

It’s not bad at all, but very good! It’s definitely the best-sounding and most complete release of the score up until that point. I’ve been enjoying it for years. If you want to sample it, it’s on YouTube (albeit not in lossless of course):

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Ultimately, the only thing you're saying (over and over again) is that nobody should ever call a release "complete", "ultimate", "definitive", or anything similar. What I'm not sure is whether you'd be ok with anyone releasing music as long as it doesn't have any of those labels.

The funny thing is that even though JTW keeps saying Intrada falsely marketed the 2020 release as “definitive”… they didn’t mention that word in their 2020 announcement:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=142438&forumID=1&archive=0

Yavar

2 hours ago, Stark said:

Since I’ve never actually listened to this score, is the 2020 release BAD or just imperfect? Just in case I find one cheap from someone selling…

(Though it's the 2006/2013 edition you're gonna find for cheap :P)

Honestly the 2006/2013 edition is very good too. I found the 2020 only a slight improvement over that master, though it was nice to have the full score chronological without Goldsmith’s trims and edits.

Yavar

21 hours ago, JTW said:

They could’ve chosen to make a new program, with a new design and actually make it a desirable for those who already own the 2020 set. But instead Intrada went the cheap and dishonest way, and simply made new discs and used the 2020 design and added 8 and 1/2 minutes of alternate takes and 20 seconds of the main program that they left out from previous releases, another fiasco btw. 

Your logic is that you should get a free copy, only if there is little difference between the respective releases. I don't get that in the first place, but nevermind...

You now imply that a new release which is more or less the same as the old release is not desirable, or at least not "desirable for those who already own the 2020 set". I get that.

So, you want to get a free copy of the new release only if/because it is less desirable to you? I mean, why even bother then?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Can anyone who bought this set confirm that this release is click-free, devoid of volume dips and worth the upgrade?

I've purchased it now (I really like this score), and look forward to selling all the previous editions and only keeping this one :P

I'll try to comment on sound quality when I open it up and check it out