Alan Silvestri's WHAT LIES BENEATH (2000) - NEW! 2024 Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

ALANSILVESTRI-WHATLIESBENEATH_CD-Mock_18

Alan Silvestri – What Lies Beneath (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack - Deluxe Edition CD)
UPC: 888072574021
Release Date: May 3, 2024
Regular price$ 20.00

Expected to ship the week of May 3, 2024.

What Lies Beneath (2000) was a first for filmmaker Robert Zemeckis: a serious, adult-minded ghost story starring Michelle Pfeiffer and, in a rare turn (and twist) as the villain, Harrison Ford. Originally developed for Steven Spielberg, the film was a Hitchcockian throwback of slow-burn suspense, with gorgeous Vermont locations supporting the A-list talent.

Scoring What Lies Beneath was, as always for Zemeckis, his long-time collaborator, Alan Silvestri (Back to the Future, Forrest Gump). Silvestri conjured up a dark, moody soundscape of suspense, orchestral violence and eerie beauty for the supernatural hauntings and real-life threat that is closer than the heroine realizes—ably recalling the spirit of the classic Hitchcock–Herrmann partnership, with Silvestri’s own vernacular and modern dramatic sense.

Varèse Sarabande released What Lies Beneath as a 9-track, 30-minute program at the time of the film. This long-awaited Deluxe Edition premieres the complete score in a 25-track, 60-minute program, with new liner notes by Daniel Schweiger interviewing screenwriter Clark Gregg.

Track List:

1. ImageMovers Logo
2. Main Title
3. Panic Attack
4. Sobbing Neighbor
5. Claire Visits Feur House / I Thought I Saw / Watery What?
6. Broken Photo
7. Binocular Spy
8. Discover Key / Full Bath
9. Ouija Board
10. You Know
11. Newspaper Clipping
12. Madison’s Room
13. Forbidden Fruit
14. Jody Fesses Up / Electrocuted
15. I Opened The Door
16. Claire's Drive
17. Key Decision
18. Norman Attacks
19. Passive Aggressive Masterpiece / Norman Falls / Bloody Hand
20. Norman's Gone / Claire Steps In Blood / Hand Moves Sting
21. The Getaway
22. Reunited / Peace At Last
23. End Credits
24. Restaurant Source
25. The Four Seasons: Autumn

https://varesesarabande.com/products/what-lies-beneath-cd

I'm more sad that they don't include who produces, edits, mixes, and masters a new Deluxe Edition as part of their press release, over the spoiler thing. 

No samples any more either.  Or track times.

The latter two are likely a result of being gobbled up by Concord.  The former is a choice the writer of the press releases makes.

There are a minority of cases where I think Varese's fee limitations actually helped, and I think this is one of those.

Might pick it up eventually given that this should also have been newly mastered, but sifting through the CS on YT, whenever I get to a cue that's properly doing something, it's a cue on the OST.

Sigh. I've never seen this movie and now I know... 

Spoiler

... who plays the villain.

Varese copywriters probably thought this is a 23 (almost 24) year old movie, so the "spoiler rule" doesn't apply anymore.

Always loved this film and score! Shame about all the spoilers in the listing (and some of the track titles too, if you read into them). The movie always felt cozy to me? The perfect rainy/gloomy weather, staying in at home for the day kind of film. I remember it being a bit of a hit at the time (unless I am mistaken) and was even parodied in one of the "Scary Movie" films. A shame it kind of got forgotten after that, so I hope this release may convince more to watch it.

Then again, given how critical we have all become, I'm sure some will see it as derivative trash and wonder what the hell I ever saw in it. Oh well. ;)

1 hour ago, Yavar Moradi said:

It's a good movie and a good twist that shouldn't be spoiled. Why, Varese??? (And kudos, Luke & Jay.)

Yavar

Well, the movie's own trailer notoriously gave away the ending.... (Which really didn't hurt it commercially)https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt0161081/?ref_=bo_se_r_1

Oh god, I had forgotten about that! I think the trailer did have some misdirects too, if I recall. And the trailer music they used (not from the film) was very action-oriented hahaha. Was very late 90s/early 2000s of them to hype it up like some intense thrill ride when in reality it was more of a moody atmospheric mystery film.

I think the cast and the basic premise sold the movie to audiences. Back then, movie stars usually still carried a film's success compared to today. Are there any true movie stars left that are guaranteed to sell tickets?

They've updated with cover art - this is the full 3000px version.

Also, both are on digital-preorder for 3rd May so we can listen properly.

WLBcover_3000x3000.jpg

I remember sampling this score when it came out, and it didn't do much for me. It was Silvestri doing his best Herrmann schtick (which he's good at, I'll give him that).

Still hoping for premiere releases of more pre-ROMANCING THE STONE scores. Or stuff like SHE'S OUT OF CONTROL. Or PAR OÙ T'ES RENTRÉ? ON T'A PAS VU SORTIR. Or OUTRAGEOUS FORTUNE. That kind of stuff.

Here's where the source cues fit chronologically:

Spoiler

DLX01 1M0 ImageMovers Logo
DLX02 1M1 Main Title
DLX03 1M3 Panic Attack

DLX04 2M1 Sobbing Neighbor
DLX05 2M2 Claire Visits Feur House / 2M3 I Thought I Saw... / 2M3X Watery What?

DLX06 3M1 Broken Photo
DLX07 3M3 Binocular Spy
DLX24 3M4S Restaurant Source
DLX08 3M4 Discovered Key / Full Bath

DLX09 4M1 Ouija Board
DLX10 4M2 You Know
DLX25 4M3S Party Source (The Four Seasons: Autumn)
DLX11 4M4 Newspaper Clipping

DLX12 5M2 Madison's Room
DLX13 5M3 Forbidden Fruit
DLX14 5M4 Jody Fesses Up / 5M5 Electrocuted

DLX15 6M1 I Opened The Door
DLX16 6M3 Claire's Drive
DLX17 6M5 Key Decision

DLX18 7M1 Norman Attacks
DLX19 7M2 Passive Aggressive Masterpiece / 8M2 Norman Falls / 8M3 Bloody Hand
DLX20 8M4 Norman's Gone / 8M5 Claire Steps In Blood / 9M1 Hand Moves Sting
DLX21 9M2 Chase (The Getaway)
DLX22 9M3 Hope Floats (Reunited) / 9M4 Peace At Last
DLX23 9M5 End Credits

I'm vaguely tempted to pick this up so I own it in some form, as the OST has some nice material.

The Int'l store has no indication that it's not shipping yet, but is also charging a totally unreasonable price - 25% markup over the US store and waaay too much for only 2nd class post.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm vaguely tempted to pick this up so I own it in some form, as the OST has some nice material.

The Int'l store has no indication that it's not shipping yet, but is also charging a totally unreasonable price - 25% markup over the US store and waaay too much for only 2nd class post.

I wrote and complained when HTTYD3 came out as I agree it’s outrageous (even worse they treat Guernsey as “international” so the postage was even more astonishingly expensive). Maybe worth doing the same. Their old store had a half arsed delivery partner but it was at least fairly priced. 

On 19/04/2024 at 9:42 PM, Thor said:

I remember sampling this score when it came out, and it didn't do much for me. It was Silvestri doing his best Herrmann schtick (which he's good at, I'll give him that).

Listened to the OST, and your comment sums it up quite well.