Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It surely shows that you read a lot of literary masterpieces.

no it just shows your total ignorance of the history of this board.

you're really spending to much time in your life.

It's not a plothole. The movie still works without that info. Sure, it would have been nice to include it (and I still don't see why they didn't), but that was a nice surprise when I read the book.

it leaves a gapping hole in the plot, how does Lupin know anything about the map, how does he know its a map at all.  what is the relationship between Lupin, Black, and Pettigrew, all that is left unanswered.

sure those that read the book knew, but those who didn't were saying, what the hell?

You are wrong...wrong...wrong.

I haven't read the book, and asked none of these questions.

These are things that only Harry potter fanboys get pissed off about.

During the Shrieking Shack scene the film, which had had a steady, delibirate pace suddenly went to warp speed, but I don't feel I needed a 10 minute flashback explaining the relationship between these 3 guys and Harry's father and how they all decided to turn into animals to help Gary Oldman. I got all the info I needed from the performances throughout the film, which was first rate, didn't need to have it explained and S-P-E-L-L-E-D out to me like Chris Columbus did for COS.

What...a...crappy...teaser trailer that was.

Horrible, awkward, and pointless.

It started with a pointless bang and ended with a pointless bang. There was no contrast, no tension, it was just a badly stitched montage of shots and dialouge from the movie.

I've seen miles better 30-second TV Spots.

And I recall reading they were saving that info for one of the later films. Perhaps we'll see it in OotP.

That's right, but on the other hand, they said they were saving it for Goblet of Fire I believe. And that film they did screw up all right.

Cuaron wants backhttp://www.rottentomatoes.com/news/comments/?entryid=380656

Then they should sign him on right now. In fact, they should have been begging him on their knees to do more HPs ever since POA.

ROTFLMAO The Two Towers

I want Columbus back,because Williams might be back too.There are no other considerations.For some reason I still get the feeling Cuaron was forced to use Williams and would not ask him again.In fact this might have to do with Williams leaving Potter.

K.M.

So your bad grammar is the history of this board?

I like that.

So your bad grammar is the history of this board?

I like that.

one of the veterans of the board has explained it, so you no longer need to be ingorant of the board's past, not that your really worthy of it.

I don't understand how much enjoyment you can get from a film score when you don't like the movie itself.

It's the music that matters, when listening to a CD. Over half the scores in my collection are to films I've never seen, and probably will never see.

Should I dislike a masterpiece like the score to The Final Conflict just because the film is so awful?

On top of that, there are plenty of brilliant scores to poor films - Supergirl, Star Trek Insurrection, Beneath the 12-Mile Reef, King Kong (1976), and many more (including three quarters of Goldsmith's filmography).

Turning the question around, why should the quality of the film make any difference to whether you like the score?

It's the movie that gives the music any meaning. If I listened to a soundtrack of a movie I've never seen, the music would mean nothing to me and eventually no matter how good it was I'd get very bored with it. Also, if I hated a movie, why would I listen to a soundtrack that reminded me of that movie?

The basic difference between you and me is apparently I think the soundtrack CD should be considered supplemental to the movie, and you feel more like it's as important as the movie itself.

Also, why would Williams not scoring a Potter film have anything to do with the overall quality of the movie? It doesn't, IMHO.

You obviously listen to film scores to re-live the film.

Most of us listen to film scores as music and can seperate it from the film. I'd have a very small collection if I couldn't handle the music away from the films and based my liking it on whether or not I enjoyed the film.

A composer can make a big difference as to how good a film is.

Isn't the teaser trailer for the upcoming Harry Potter OOTP is coming out soon?

You can get a 10 second glimpse From the Teaser Trailer at comingsoon.net not sure if is a compete version of the teaser trailer because 10 seconds is nothing for a trailer. Usually they about 30 seconds or just one minutes as bare minimum.

It's the movie that gives the music any meaning. If I listened to a soundtrack of a movie I've never seen, the music would mean nothing to me and eventually no matter how good it was I'd get very bored with it. Also, if I hated a movie, why would I listen to a soundtrack that reminded me of that movie?  

The basic difference between you and me is apparently I think the soundtrack CD should be considered supplemental to the movie, and you feel more like it's as important as the movie itself.

That's an unfortunate attitude. You're missing out on lots of great music, just because you've never seen the film. Viewing the score as supplemental to the film shouldn't prevent you from being able to enjoy music on its own. There are many scores I listen to and thoroughly enjoy, from films I haven't seen. Just seems like you're limiting yourself.

Ray Barnsbury

How is it even close to "entirely messed up"?  There's nothing wrong with it at all.
I have once posted a list of a whole bunch of things that are just plain crazy. In general I think they have put a lot of unimportant things into the film and took a lot of important ones. I just had way too many "what the HECK" moments during PoA to consider it the best film. As far as I'm concerned it's John Williams' score that saved the film, which is the single reason why I still consider it a reasonably good film.

Is the music at the beginning from goF?

I don't think so.

I sorta thought it sounded like a different version of the intro to GoF, no?

I thought the trailer was alright, nothing fantastic, but it's just a teaser.

Tim

Only half as bad as the edit on the OST, with the best part of the Double Trouble statement cut out.

Yep,it's a toss up with Anakin's Dark Deeds for most moronic edit ever.At least we have the DVD.

K.M.

I want Columbus back,because Williams might be back too.There are no other considerations.For some reason I still get the feeling Cuaron was forced to use Williams and would not ask him again.In fact this might have to do with Williams leaving Potter.

K.M.

I do to. I loved Columbus's work it really had that magical feel to it. Don't get me wrong Cuaron did a great job with POA, but that movie had a more "I'm trying to win a few oscars" feel while Columbus's gave off this "Harry Potter-ish" feel. GoF wasn't that bad, I enjoyed it. Yes, it could have been made better and the score, well.... :roll: but we got to give this new fella a shot. I liked the trailer it is a teaser trailer and I wasn't expecting much from it but I enjoyed it.

K.M.

I do to. I loved Columbus's work it really had that magical feel to it. Don't get me wrong Cuaron did a great job with POA, but that movie had a more "I'm trying to win a few oscars" feel while Columbus's gave off this "Harry Potter-ish" feel. GoF wasn't that bad, I enjoyed it. Yes, it could have been made better and the score, well.... :roll: but we got to give this new fella a shot. I liked the trailer it is a teaser trailer and I wasn't expecting much from it but I enjoyed it.

I'm starting to think I'm the only person on this board that likes that score...

When I compare it to Williams' scores, I just hear a very different score. I see no reason to compare them.

And I actually thought the best bits of Doyle's score were the non-Williams themes - the Williams theme(s) seemed to clash with Doyle's style - IMO he'd have done better to leave them out entirely.

on the contrary,the only time my ears perked up during GoF was when Hedwig's Theme played.

Now I know where I heard the last half of Qiudditch World Cup before,it's a rip off of The Titans from Alexander.

k.M.

I like it too, it has a lot of good cues and while there will always be the issue of continuity I really don't think Williams would have written the dream score everyone was talking about anyway, the style was changed in POA and things like Fawkes' theme in the graveyard scene or the nimbus theme in the first task were unlikely I think. Doyle's score works great in the movie, which in my opinion was very bad and boring.

I hated Doyle's score at first, but it really is a great piece of work. There is a delicate overall restraint to it that I love, and I dare say "The Black Lake" is up there with Quidditch, Third Year as some great Potter action music, and in retrospect "Voldemort" I can't imagine any other way, especially with the "we've been here and done this before" John Williams Voldy theme, which was the only theme that I did not regret seeing again, next to the annoying Nimbus 2000 theme.

The score as a whole conjures up a feeling that I'd say is very reminiscent of "The New Arrival" track from Jerry Goldsmith's The Blue Max, and it's a very sinister coldness and neutrality.

If the series goes on getting darker and darker (and darker) and the lighting dimmer and dimmer, I'm afraid Film #7 will have to be a radio broadcast. :roll: