Best score by a minor composer

Hlao-roo

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, I really wouldn't consider Brian Tyler a "minor" composer...he may not be well established, but he's definitely been widely recognized as one of the up-and-coming composers in Hollywood.

Craig Safan's The Last Starfighter comes to mind, if mostly for its main theme...

I agree, though I think the entire score (well... maybe not the dodgy synths...) is excellent.

Dennis McCarthy- Star Trek: Generations

Not as good as any of Goldsmith's or Horner's Trek scores (or Eidleman's VI, come to think of it), but it is still a quality score and highly underrated.

Those composers I have one c.d. of:

Laurence Rosenthal:Clash of the Titans

John Scott:Greystoke,Legend of Tarzan

Ed Shermur:Sky Captain

K.M.

Christopher Gunning's Agatha Christie's Poirot.

Am I entitled to disagree? Then please I would disagree with that as much as I can suppose you're referring to Poirot series with David Suchet starring, where the main theme is brilliant and so-called filler "underscore" differs more than you would expect from "a mere TV show" chapter by chapter.

Richard Harvey's Animal Farm, the TNT version. I never cease to praise this score, and yet I've found no-one to share my enthusiasm with. Not even Harvey himself - what else has he done?

Yeah, the underscore had an almost old-fasioned elegance that fitted perfectly with the series.

In one early episode (one made between 1989 - 1991) whose title I can't recall (it's where Poirot and Hastings go far by train to gather some testimony from an old woman living in the forlorn cottage surrounded by large meadows) there is music similar to what later made body of main theme to Vangelis' Conquest of Paradise.

I bet Vangelis didn't intentionally borrow. He could have watched the episode, unintentionally memorized the tune that reappears a few times in the episode (but never more outside the particular episode) and when composing the main theme to Conquest, that memorized chord progression could have jumped into the quill while penning the music and there it was. Same as Beethoven transcribed some bird's melody line he heard during walks in the park into his famous opening of the fifth's. Work of subconsciousness.

If you consider Mark Snow a minor composer, well then:

The X-Files: Fight the Future.

Yann Tiersen: Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain.

Before his last score, Edward Shearmur: Johnny English.

Dirk Brossé: Daens.

Richard Harvey's Animal Farm, the TNT version. I never cease to praise this score, and yet I've found no-one to share my enthusiasm with. Not even Harvey himself - what else has he done?

Share your love with Christian Clemmensen...

*cough*

Yeah, my next thread will be "Best score by a diminished composer," followed possibly by "Best score by an augmented composer"...

Hah! I wouldn't have gotten that three months ago, but I'm taking a basic music theory course this semester. You could even do "Best score by a perfect composer."

Ray Barnsbury

Definitely LoDuca's Army of Darkness if you consider him a minor composer. The whole trilogy is great, but with each film, he got better and came out with this wonderful finale to the series. If you haven't heard it, you have to! Not really, but you know what I mean.

I'm not sure if David Shire is minor (probably not) but I like his score to Return to Oz quite a bit.

Of course DTK is great. :thumbsup:

Yann Tiersen: Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain

Great choice.

Let me add:

Stephen Endelman: The Englishman Who Went Up A Hill But Came Down A Mountain

Christopher Gordon: Moby Dick

Marian - :mrgreen:

:) MGV (Michael Nyman)

Marc Shaiman - The American President

Edward Shearmur - Count of Monte Cristo

Don Davis - Jurassic Park III

Pino Donaggio's Carrie, or Dressed to Kill

This man has taste, people!!! Dressed to Kill is fantastic!!!

Ken, did you see Dressed to Kill back in 1980 at the theater, man what a great experience,

I saw it and ESB mulitple times that summer.

Of course DTK is great. :thumbsup:
Yann Tiersen: Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain

Great choice.

One thing though. Amelie isn't exactly what you considerer a film score, since none of it was composed specificly for the movie. All the music was taken from Yann Tiersen previous albuns.

Romão, who has seen Tiersen live.

One thing though. Amelie isn't exactly what you considerer a film score, since none of it was composed specificly for the movie. All the music was taken from Yann Tiersen previous albuns.

Oh? I thought only some of it was written before the movie?

Marian - who wants to hear more Tiersen.

I know, but it's quite exceptional and I thought I'd mention it here.

Romão, who has seen Tiersen live.

Lotman, who has seen him live as well.

:happybday:

Pino Donaggio's Carrie, or Dressed to Kill

This man has taste, people!!! Dressed to Kill is fantastic!!!

Ken, did you see Dressed to Kill back in 1980 at the theater, man what a great experience,

I saw it and ESB mulitple times that summer.

Sadly, because the movie was rated R, I was not allowed to see it first run in 1980. The first time I experienced it was on a beta videocassette at a friend's home during a sleep-over. This goes to show the strength of the score, after hearing it only once, and in MONO, I asked my mother to let me order it from Starlog magazine. She did, and I have never regretted it!!!!

Another one : Shaun Davey: The Tailor of Panama.

Been listening to that lately. It's very good (though I think his orchestrations are a bit off at times).

Shaun Davey, eh? I only have his lovely Twelfth Night; other than that, all I know by him is Waking Ned.

Marian - who also wants to hear more from him.

I've liked what I've heard of him so far, and should check into his music more as well. If you can find it, you might enjoy his Relief Of Derry Symphony.

Kathy