Classic FM Top 50 Scores of All Time

Classic FM recently ran a poll of it's audience to name the top 50 film scores/score series of all time. Well, The Lord of the Rings and Gladiator were #s 1 and 2, pretty much torpedoing any credibility. Williams, however, did get the most entries in the list:

3. Star Wars series

4. Schindler's List

10. Jurassic Park

12. Harry Potter series

19. Saving Private Ryan

24. Indiana Jones series

29. ET

The full list is here.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What the hell kinda score is "The Harry Potter movies" as quoted from the list. I suppose someone should let them know that there are 3 separate movies with 3 different scores...

Same goes for Indiana Jones.

Tim

Saving Private Ryan is not even among the favourites here.

K.M.

nor should it be anywhere near it.

isn't this last years poll, that we've already bitched and moaned about? I think it is.

Yeah, this looks familiar.

Pretty stupid that take "The Star Wars Movies" and "The Indiana Jones Movies" in one go. And there's some classical composers in there whose music was used in the film but not written for the film, which is even weirder. Silliest example of this is:

28 2001 – A Space Odyssey Richard Strauss

Gits.

- Marc, :|

Very surprised to see ... "The Mission" in the list, let alone in the top 10.

I disgaree. The Mission is fantastic, and teh theme is the best Oboe writing in film history (sorry John but its true)./ Maybe not Top 10 but a deep, rich and moving score nonetheless.

Notice also that the BBC lists Gladiator 3rd instead of 2nd, and Star Wars instead of "The Star Wars movies"

Wankers!

Or did they get it off a newer list or something? By comparison:

1 The Lord of the Rings - Howard Shore

2 Gladiator - Hans Zimmer/Lisa Gerrard

3 The Star Wars movies - John Williams

4 Schindler’s List - John Williams

5 Out of Africa John - Barry/Mozart

6 The Mission - Ennio Morricone

7 Titanic - James Horner

8 Dances with Wolves - John Barry

9 Lawrence of Arabia - Maurice Jarre

10 Jurassic Park - John Williams

1. Lord of the Rings - Howard Shore

2. Star Wars - John Williams

3. Gladiator - Hans Zimmer

4. Schindler's List - John Williams

5. Out of Africa - John Barry/Mozart

6. Dances With Wolves - John Barry

7. The Mission - Ennio Morricone

8. Lawrence of Arabia - Maurice Jarre

9. Jurassic Park - John Williams

10. Dr Zhivago - Maurice Jarre

Source: Classic FM

- Marc, :|

Also from the BBC article...

John Barry also proved memorable for listeners, with Schindler's List the first of three in the top 10

Fuckwits!

:|

And yes, they did get it off a more recent article. The list John posted is last year's. You can find the new one here!

Williams entries:

2. Star Wars

4. Schindler's List

9. Jurassic Park

12. Saving Private Ryan

16. Harry Potter

20. E.T.

33. Indiana Jones

38. Superman

After sending a list of corrections to the BBC, they've updated the article.

- "Delete Gladiator from that list right away"?

Keep in mind that with stuff like Gladiator and LotR, the scores are a lot fresher in the minds of the people doing the poll than is the original Star Wars Trilogy, where most of the best music is from.

I'll never understand why Gladiator got so popular with the general public. LotR I can understand due to the greatness/public success of the films and the scores are generally good, at times very good (at other times very mediocre). But Gladiator? :?

Oh, and sorry for last year's list. I just used the link I was given and didn't see a date. And don't remember last year's. Still, I'll put my standards up against those boobs writing those BBC articles any day.

I don’t want to get lynched on only my second post but I have to agree with LOTR taking first place. Just my personal opinion. Gladiator even being in the top 10 frankly baffles me. Although I find that score occasionally enjoyable, I never have been a fan of Zimmer’s electronic style. Synth orchestra just seems out of place in an epic to me.

Howard Shore and John Williams are the Mozart and Beethoven of their generation.

;)

"Classic FM" has always been a bit of a joke in the UK.....this really just confirms it....

:roll:

Worst list ever...

Erich Wolfgang Korngold? not in the top 50? you have to be f'ing kidding me...

Howard Shore and John Williams are the Mozart and Beethoven of their generation.

So does this mean that Howard Shore is the genius and John Williams is a deaf old coot?

Surely justice is blind and not deaf?

Hitch, back from his 2 week absence.

That list is a joke, voters must be teenagers with little culture about soundtracks. Come on, Gladiator is not even one of Zimmer's better efforts.

This is so stupid, yes. As much as I enjoy LotR, Shore is no match for Johnny, or Jerry, for that matter.

This is so stupid, yes. As much as I enjoy LotR, Shore is no match for Johnny, or Jerry, for that matter.

Or Mozart or Beethoven, more to the point...

Oh come on. Let's be fair. The real tragedy is not that Shore and Williams were compare to Mozart and Beethoven.

The question on everyone's lips is: Why aren't Horner and Vangelis mentioned?!

Erich Wolfgang Korngold? not in the top 50? you have to be f'ing kidding me...

I wholeheartedly agree, and will even supply the missing u-c-k. :music:

This poll is a disgrace. It seems to be based on fashionable popularity rather than true staying power, with a couple of older scores thrown in randomly to try and make the results look more authentic. Zimmer and Shore shouldn't even be on the same page as Williams, let alone above him! Brief Encounter by Rachmaninov? What the hell is that all about? A great piano concerto? Yes. An original film score? No. I'm sure Franz Waxman, Erich Korngold, and Bernard Herrman are thrilled that Vangelis's 1981 pop hit "Chariots of Fire" is considered superior to anything they may have contributed to the world of cinema. What a load of shit this list is. What an utter load of slushy diarrhea.

actually the slushy diarrhea is SPR at #19, now thats a load of the mush.

I woildn't take any such list seriously if it didn't at least have half of the scores from more than 25 years ago.