What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

I like Williams' work for Amazing Stories, but apart from the series theme, I don't think either score is anything special -- but standard Williams is still pretty good.

I've always felt Ghost Train is by far the best Aamazing Stories score JW wrote. It's a lovely lovely score, in the vein of Stanley and Iris and Accidental Tourist, which are also irresistible.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home by Leonard Rosenman. The "Home Again/End Credits" is the only cue you need from this score. I do like the "Main Title" its a stark contrast from all the other movies.

Totally with KM on Amazing Stories. Both "Ghost Train" and "The Mission" are pure vintage JW, and the latter is every bit as magical and exhilarating as his film scores from that period. And for the record, I think SpaceCamp is wonderful too. That was from the time when Williams could pretty much do no wrong. Too bad I was, like, 2 years old.

Black Robe by Georges Delerue. Loved the score when I heard it back in the early 90s. Recently discovered it and boy, what a revelation. Especially the last track "Libera Me"

Well I think that OotP is a masterpiece or a near masterpiece (I'm listening to it right now, once I finish I'll decide). It is just fantastic, within the same league of SS and PoA, and better than CoS.

:P

I second Ray's comment - what do you like so much about Hooper's score? There are barely any hummable themes and most of it has such a flat sound, that for me it rarely ascends beyond a nice background listen.

And I don't think it comes anywhere near the quality of CoS.

Yeah. Saying it's a masterpiece because you enjoy it sort of kills any discussion about why it might objectively be considered that good or not.

Anyway, I just finished Elfman's Serenada Schizophrana, never having listened to the whole piece before. It's really interesting and evocative, and definitely retains Elfman's distinct voice. I listened to it on a walk, and it fit well with the shades of autumn that are starting to appear.

Though I do not find "Serenada Schizophrana" to be Elfman's best, it is very good. I have been listening to a lot of his albums as of yesterday, inspired by someone's post about "Sleepy Hollow" (which I listened to for the first time last night. I really enjoyed it.)

Signs by James Newton Howard

Brilliant stuff right here. One of my favorite scores of all time.

The Village by James Newton Howard

Read above.

If those aren't two of THE absolute finest scores of the decade, I'll eat the shorts of anyone who can prove it to me.

I anticipate many shortless dinners.

WarGames by Arthur B. Rubinstein

Wonderful score. The orchestrations are rich, the action music exciting, the underscore by turns tense, mysterious, and beautiful. I'd say this is pretty much a must-have for any fan of robust, orchestral film music.

Koray, I agree about Signs. It is probably in my top ten scores of all time (top twenty for sure).

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix:

First of all, I will say that I have seen your guys' points about it being a masterpiece/near masterpiece, and I agree that it is neither of those. However, I still consider it to be a fantastic score, way above average, and a fantastic listen. Perhaps later this week when I have more time I will evaluate on my opinions of this score and why it is a fantastic score/why it's not a masterpiece. But I do still consider it to be the third best Potter score, and closer to SS and PoA than it is to CoS. I am very upset that JW is not scoring HBP and probably not DH, but Hooper would be my second choice just because of this score. 4.25/5 stars

Heartbeeps:

I've said this a couple times, but more than any other JW score I've heard, this one sounds like he was having a fun time composing it. It is one of his most unique scores (right after Images, I'd say). The themes are beautiful, hilarious, and evil, yet always fun. There are some bits that sound like CE3K. My favorite part is that wonderfully mischevious theme heard in "Val's First Drive." 3.5/5 stars

Well then you should definetly try to get it ASAP. Because of your fiscal plight, actually, because it is out of print, and it is only going to get more expensive.

Of course if it's a matter of this or the Indy boxset, get Indy.

Well then you should definetly try to get it ASAP. Because of your fiscal plight, actually, because it is out of print, and it is only going to get more expensive.

Of course if it's a matter of this or the Indy boxset, get Indy.

What else would I be torn between? Wait, do not answer that....

Heartbeeps is a wonderful, odd score, and it's well worth tracking down . . . but boy, oh boy, is the movie a stinker.

bowdown I believe I already told the story of me keeping myself awake at 2am just so I could watch it from beginning to end.

The Thing by Ennio Morricone

Genius.

CD 2 of Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, my favorite prequel music.

B000051VYS.09.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Didn't anyone tell John how to brush his teeth?

Koray, I agree about Signs. It is probably in my top ten scores of all time (top twenty for sure).

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix:

First of all, I will say that I have seen your guys' points about it being a masterpiece/near masterpiece, and I agree that it is neither of those.

Where on this board have you read points in favour of OOTP being a masterpiece??

You sure you're thinking about the right board?

Ah, I see.

So, you think it's a near masterpiece, and got trashed?

Well, that fits.

;)

Hmmm...I have read this post several times, and I'm not quite sure what you're saying. :)

The Legend Of 1900 by Ennio Morricone

Genius.

Yes, that's a great one. The Legend of the Pianist and Child are brilliant. Shame the piano duel isn't on the album, but it's part of the Arena Concerto.

Wonderful film, too, as far as I recall. I have to pick up the Italian DVD someday (apparently, all other releases are abridged).

Isn't the piano duel music on the extended Italian release of 1900?

Are The Legend Of 1900 and 1900 the same film? I have the DVD of 1900, I never got a chance to watch it cause it's 5 hours long.

Lolita by Ennio Morricone

Genius.

Wonderful film, too, as far as I recall. I have to pick up the Italian DVD someday (apparently, all other releases are abridged).

Sadly, it doesn't hold up during a second visit.

Isn't the piano duel music on the extended Italian release of 1900?

Possible, I think mine is the regular European release.

What? No, I was just abbreviating The Legend of 1900.

Interesting, because Morricone scored both.

Yes. But I've always thought he was picked for Legend partly because the piano duel was short like a western.

Legend of 1900 goes by a number of titles though, as the Italian title never included "1900" (the lead character's name).

Just heard When Johnny Comes Marching Home from How The West Was Won and couldn't help but snigger at the lyrics.

The men will cheer and the boys will shout

The ladies they will all turn out

And we'll all feel gay

When Johnny comes marching home.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Johnny_Comes_Marching_Home

L'Avventuriero by Ennio Morricone

Genius.

Corleone by Ennio Morricone

Genius.

A Fistful Of Dollars by Ennio Morricone

Genius.

For A Few Dollars More by Ennio Morricone

Genius.

The Mission by Ennio Morricone

Genius.

Il Mercenario by Ennio Morricone

Genius.

Il Mio Nome È Nessuno by Ennio Morricone

Genius.

No one else listens to music here?

What, why would I waste my time doing that? :P

At work yesterday I listened to Raiders and Medal of Honor, with other people up there with me. And got away with it! Without a single comment. Just goes to prove that so many people in this world pay no attention to music, it's just background noise. I'm working tomorrow night and will be by myself most of it, I'm planning on taking Independence Day and some of my Final Fantasy concert collection.

Other than that I've been finishing up a Lord of the Rings run and listening to Potter for the first time in a while.

No one else listens to music here?

They do, it's just they don't feel the need to post about every single score they listen to.