What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

Christopher Gordon's On the Beach. I haven't finished it yet, but it's pretty good. I didn't really have any expectations of this score, but I'm enjoying it so far, and I have a little more then half to go. 8O

Tim

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ghostbusters - Excellent! Great listen from start to finish, and I'm really enjoying hearing this wonderful music outside the film for a change.

Lost - Another wonderful soundtrack. I love Locke'd Out Again, and Parting Words gave me goosebumps.

Last night, I listened to some of The Omen for the first time. It's very, very good, but I decided to listen to something else before going to sleep, because Goldsmith was starting to creep me out. 8O

- Marc

bowdown Elmer Bernstein - Get Her! from Ghostbusters

Beyond Rangoon - Freakin' amazing Zimmer score. Has some synths obviously but the pipe (or whatever it is) solos are beyond beautiful, I highly recommend it.

Also got Slvestri's The Wild, which sounds promising so far, if not exactly that great.

The Witches of Eastwick. Williams best effort in comedy IMO. Such devilish fun and great orchestrations not to mention those wonderful themes. Dance of the Witches is such an infectuous piece of music and describes the whole movie's plot so well. It starts all light and whimsical but gathers momentum slowly and adds instruments into the mix and suddenly it is reeling all out of control roaring violently with brass and percussive mayhem before it ends with a bang and a mischievous twinkle.

The Ballroom scene is gorgeous with such romantic and lush string writing.

In "Have another Cherry!" Williams actually conjures up a theme for cherry bowdown The intent of the music is devilish and violent but it is such brilliantly constructed piece of music. Languid, fun and threatning at the same time. Chilling.

And the themes are woven into every track with such precision and ease and Williams plays around them and pits them against each other and has fun with the material.

Other highlights include The Tennis Game, Daryl Rejected, The Township of Eastwick, Daryl Arrives and just about every track 8O There is so much great music in this score.

I'm glad Witches has been re-released (even though I won't be replacing my complete boot). It's such an overlooked, but absolutely wonderful score. Dance of the Witches, The Township of Eastwick, Daryl Arrives, The Ride Home, The Tennis Game, The Ballroom Scene... all highlights.

- Marc, who must listen to it again sometime.

Sum of All Fears. I just finished up on track "That Went Well", which is only track number 4, but I had to write about it on this thread, to solidify my first impression. This score is knocking me on my ass! (as track 5, "Clear the Stadium" beings ;) )

Tim

Sum of All Fears.  I just finished up on track "That Went Well", which is only track number 4, but I had to write about it on this thread, to solidify my first impression.  This score is knocking me on my ass! (as track 5, "Clear the Stadium" beings  ;) )

Tim

Hmm! I am actually gonna listen to this score for the first time outside of the film tonight. If I really like it I will add it to the list for my collection of scores to get.

I really loved the movie Sum Of All Fears but as I said I've never heard the score outside of the film. Time to start listening!

I just finished it (it's a short CD), and other then some slow parts in the middle (which are still good, slow doesn't equal bad) the score is pretty energetic and moving, especially the first few score tracks and the last couple (disregarding the song at the front and end of the album). I like it a lot ;)

But there are quite of few trumpet fanfare-type moments I recall from the film (which I have on DVD) that are missing, and there's plenty of room left on the CD!

Squeeze that stuff on there!

Tim

About to play the last track of the score "The Sum Of All Fears".

You're right nightscape this is a pretty damn good score.

The main theme though is a resemblence of Mulan's theme in my opinion. Also the track I think either "Deserted Lab" or "How Close?" it gave a very big nod to Air Force One.

I'll definitely dad this score to my list of ones I'll be buying.

Return of the Jedi, for the first time.

Despite being half-asleep at the time, I was able to recognise that the sound quality was very poor. And I was annoyed that the tracks with the good parts are too long, like The Emperor and Vader's respective deaths and "The Dark Side Beckons", resulting in future filtering to get to the "good" parts.

Excellent score though, regardless.

The Shadow, Masada and L.A. Confidential by Maestro Goldsmith. All excellent scores. I still do not like the Masada march very much but the rest of the score is wonderful.

Stefan not all like all Goldsmith without reservation. I just do not like that march.

I just listened Dogma by Howard Shore. A really enjoyable score.

Stefan not all like all Goldsmith without reservation. I just do not like that march.

:eek:

Marian - ROTFLMAO

:eek: Per un pugno di dollari (Ennio Morricone)

8O

Well The Mission is a great score from Morricone. Otherwise I have not heard much of his music since the things I have heard do not impress me. I know he is some kind of European film music god to some but I have never really gotten into his music.

I still do not like the Masada march very much but the rest of the score is wonderful.

I'm reminded of the The Ghost and the Darkness score. The score, in total, is really cool, but that metallic swooshing noise is irritating.

Tim

I think it's supposed to be African chanting because in the the film it sounds much more like voices than on the album. I'm guessing the album may have been a re-recording or re-mixed with synth voices.

The Seahawk by Erich Wolfgang Korngold. Great music! Such an energetic and vibrant score. Swashbuckling at its best!

First Blood - Great score, with some excellent action writing (and some very nice less action-oriented music).

:music: Jerry Goldsmith - The Camp/Forced Entry from Rambo: First Blood, part II

The full score for The Scorpion King by John Debney. I for one actually loved the film and as far as the music goes it's a great swashbuckling music. It's definitely full of energy for a lot of the tracks. I was surprised by the use of the electric guitar in the score, generally I don't like hearing an electric guitar in scores and sometimes it doesn't work. However John Debney pulled it off and it works really good in and out of the film. Definitely 5 stars from me.

I just finished the full score for Independence Day. It's too bad that we don't have a legit complete version of this that has the film version for "The Day We Fight Back".

It's a very good score and definitely deserves a full legit release. I'm also surprised too that with how many times Independence Day has been re-released on DVD that they haven't had one of those versions yet with an audio only track for the score.

I'm also surprised too that with how many times Independence Day has been re-released on DVD that they haven't had one of those versions yet with an audio only track for the score.

No kidding. But then again I don't think they change the disc content, just the covers.

John- who still has the 2-disc "Five Star Collection" release with the extended cut

Actually, they did change something: they ditched the theatrical cut. Because "extended editions" are all the rage these days. :)

- Marc, who has the SE which features both.

I just finished the full score for Independence Day.  It's too bad that we don't have a legit complete version of this that has the film version for "The Day We Fight Back".

It's a very good score and definitely deserves a full legit release.  I'm also surprised too that with how many times Independence Day has been re-released on DVD that they haven't had one of those versions yet with an audio only track for the score.

I could not agree more. The ID4 score should have a legit complete release. Arnold's best score to the date.

:) SW Episode III : General Grievous

I think at the time when the full score was leaked out by I believe David Arnold and the reason why we didn't have the film version for the final battle was because at the time David Arnold only had the original intended versions. They did re-shoot nearly that entire Final Battle sequence and the producers asked Arnold to come in and re-score it. So Arnold I believe said it was either his original intended versions with the full score or nothing at all.

While I am glad to have the original intended versions, I just wished we had the film version for The Final Battle as well.

Listened to V for Vendetta. Not the most thrilling of albums, but it has some great set pieces. 'Valerie' is a strong cue, as is the finale cue, which includes the Tchaikovsky piece. But the highlight is without a doubt 'Evey Reborn'. It was powerful in the film, and is really fantastic on the album.

The Untouchables is my fav Morricone score by far.

Mine too! :| Really excellent score.

So Arnold I believe said it was either his original intended versions with the full score or nothing at all.  

What do you mean? I don't think Arnold himself leaked the full score...

Well the full score probably was given to friends and family by him, much like what Don Davis did with The Matrix scores then eventually they found their way onto the net.

There was two versions of the score released. Both were leaked back in 2000 where one wasn't complete at all and it had these weird "demo" cues. Then the World Records 006 version which was the complete score.

Two bootlegs were leaked - but the one with the demos is, I think, something that popped up later on p2p networks - the demo tracks are just the same as the actual tracks (some just cut off even), as far as I hear it. The two bootlegs differed in that one of them didn't have part of the reunion/nuke attack cue I think, and there are one or two short cues missing if I'm not mistaken. One of the caravan cues perhaps.

The boot with the "demo" tracks didn't have "Welcome Wagon Moves In", the full "Nuke Attack - Reunions" cue. Also the sound was less inferior to that of the World Records 006 version.

Also with the 006 version the "Lift Off - Motership - Rebellion" was joined as one huge long cue unlike the other bootleg it has three seperate cues.

Lionheart by Jerry Goldsmith. A bloody awesome score!!! King Richard track is pure magnificence. One of the best Goldsmith scores I have come across.

I've been listening to Jaws again lately. Love the swashbuckling music. :P

Listened to Star Wars yesterday. Still great. I love how raw it feels compared to the other scores.

Listening to The Empire Strikes Back now. I don't think I need to explain this one.

;) John Williams - Rescue from Cloud City/Hyperspace from The Empire Strikes Back

Lionheart by Jerry Goldsmith. A bloody awesome score!!! King Richard track is pure magnificence. One of the best Goldsmith scores I have come across.

I was just listening to that this morning, actually. Fantastic score, one of my favorite Jerry scores. Great use of electronics, best score of that type from Goldsmith. Great themes, particulaly the main theme and Matilda's theme. You should check out vol 2. if you get the chance, it has wonderful variations on the themes, and some great new music.

I was just listening to that this morning, actually. Fantastic score, one of my favorite Jerry scores. Great use of electronics, best score of that type from Goldsmith. Great themes, particulaly the main theme and Matilda's theme.

I have to disagree. It's a great, wonderful score, but the one thing I'd really like to change about are the synths. I can't help but think that Goldsmith just used those synth horns after realising how much his orchestra sucked (but then, why did he use them again for Rambo III, which is a really bad performance, whereas LH is just not very good).

You should check out vol 2. if you get the chance, it has wonderful variations on the themes, and some great new music.

Or find the Japanese Varese release. That's the only one I have. I picked it up years ago at Virgin Megastore, for the standard price of a score CD, and apparently it has nearly everything the two "normal" Vareses have, except material I've been told is mostly repeats of what's already on there.

Marian - who recently played it again as well. :P

:) Dangerous Liaisons (George Fenton)

Sleeping with the Enemy by Jerry Goldsmith. Pleasant, yet sad. It's also fairly undemanding, like a lot of Goldsmith I encounter. It has the standard sweet melody and it's performed extremely well in its many variations throughout the score, as it gets a lot of mileage. I especially like the tracks, "Fears", "A Brave Girl", "Spring Cleaning", and "The Storm". The standard Goldsmith I have come across is generally good, and this isn't any different. It wasn't nearly as suspenseful as I would have expected, except the last couple of tracks (then again, I haven't seen the movie in nearly 10 years, so I don't remember what it's like) and there really isn't a bad track on the album (though it's a long, long way from a musical masterpiece). I didn't care for the synth pulses in "The Carnival" and "Thanks Mom". It sounds like something out of a Friday the 13th movie, when we see a murder weapon/victim, or Jason makes an on-screen appearance.

As I said, fairly undemanding, but pleasant to listen to for the most part.

Tim