What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Trek: TMP (original album).

You may not believe this, but I never heard this score before (outside of the 1 or 2 tracks), because I never was interested in Star Trek really. Sadly, I have only this this shorter version (which is pretty good). I gets a lot of praise everywhere, but God, I didn't expect it to be THAT good! It suddenly reminds me why I hate most of today's scores so much. It's a killer! But you probably already know all of that.

Of course it's that good (if not even better :P ). Many say it's Goldsmith's best... I'm not so sure about that (Final Conflict is a strong contender, among others), but ultimately it was the one I chose to have signed.

Mission to Mars.

Morricone's take on Close Encounters. It is how Hollywood would sound, if it had guts. I like it.

Most hate the organ music. I thought it was brilliant.

Basic Instinct.

One of my all time favourites.

With a nice little quote of Bruckner's 4th.

:D Conan the Barbarian (Basil Poledouris)

• 2 weeks later...

Rob, where did you get that avatar? Are there Bernard Herrmann stamps?! I'm guessing if that there are, they are old based on the 33 cents.

Ted

Rob, where did you get that avatar? Are there Bernard Herrmann stamps?! I'm guessing if that there are, they are old based on the 33 cents.

I don't have the stamp - I found the picture online - but it's part of a series of movie-related stamps, I don't know when from - I found it among other Herrmann-related stuff, but I've seen a few others like it (there's one of Peter Ustinov in that style, definitely).

Here's the full-size picture:

bernardherrmannphoto5kx6.jpg

Hulk,Danny Elfman.Not bad actually.Catchy motif.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.Library finally called me 5 months after I reserved it.Good stuff,one of Elfman's better album

Chronicles of Narnia.Quite boring and generic with melodies that go nowhere,like JNH's recent stuff.

k.M.

Chronicles of Narnia.Quite boring and generic with melodies that go nowhere,like JNH's recent stuff.

There's actually some thematic goodness in there, it's just that the themes aren't as catchy or instantly recognizable as a Williams-style score. And after getting the recording sessions boot/DVD rip complete score I have to say it's another instance of the OST being poorly representative of the whole score.

The Mummy

Damn good score by Jerry Goldsmith. I like The Mummy Returns by Alan Silvestri as well but for some reason I over all perfer Goldsmiths' score. I like his theme for Imhotep and the theme for Rick and Evelyn more than I ever did Silvestri's.

Right now, I'm listening to Anakin vs. Obi-Wan from ROTS. I think that it's a piece with brilliant emotion, with cameos from Clash of the Lightsabers to go with it.

I was never a big star wars fan growing up. I had seen the original and thought they were ok. Just recently a borrowed my friends dvds for episdoe 1-3. This was the first time i had ever seen them. I was amazed how much better these movies were than the original. I have rencently rewatched episode 4-6. I dont think they hold up compare to the new films. The new films have a more complex and intersting story compared to the originals. I dont understand how people can think these movies are terrible and the orignal are great

that is either the funniest thing I've ever read, or the most stupid. Im inclined to think the latter. Folks this is the reason we need legalized post birth abortions.

Black Dahlia - A gorgeous score. Isham has imo captured the film noir sound very well.

Black Dahlia - A gorgeous score. Isham has imo captured the film noir sound very well.

It may work on album, but it's too strong in the film. Give me Goldsmith's L.A. Confidential and Chinatown anyday. This is the work of an amateur.

Ted

I'm listening to Elfman's Serenada Schizophrana which isn't technically a film score but it's about the best damn thing  I've heard from a film composer so far this year.  By miles in fact.

Got it yesterday and loved it

Max-who also met Neil Gaiman yesterday and was amazed

that is either the funniest thing I've ever read, or the most stupid.  Im inclined to think the latter.  Folks this is the reason we need legalized post birth abortions.

yeah, that was something i picked up from the imdb message boards. hopefully you didnt think that i said that...... LOL

It may work on album, but it's too strong in the film. Give me Goldsmith's L.A. Confidential and Chinatown anyday. This is the work of an amateur.

A too strong score in a De Palma film? I may be wrong about this (haven't heard the score, won't see the movie until next week), but this sounds rather promising to me: De Palma movies need too strong scores. :D

that is either the funniest thing I've ever read, or the most stupid.  Im inclined to think the latter.  Folks this is the reason we need legalized post birth abortions.

yeah, that was something i picked up from the imdb message boards. hopefully you didnt think that i said that...... LOL

no I recognized it as a signature, and not you.

Lalo Schifrin: Gone With the Wave. I only know the first 15 minutes or so because it fills the cassette side after Diamond Head. It's really fun though, I should play the rest one day.

Accidental Tourist, John Williams: I listened this score after a long break and I must admit I had forgotten how beautiful it is. Truly a hidden gem. ;) Intimate and delicate.

ST:TMP is a brilliant score and probably Goldsmith's greatest or at least in his top 5.

I couldn't agree more...almost religious and so majestic in its scope. Strangely, Goldsmith derided his own ability when talking about this score. He visited Australia in 1983 and I had a chance to go and hear him speak at the State Film Centre in Melbourne. At the time he was really quite chuffed at the score he had written for the Twilight Zone movie and the audience got to hear a lot of the tracks therein. He also spoke about his work in most of his earlier movies.

Of ST-TMP he said that he regretted that the music had taken on religious overtones and he recounted the difficulties he experienced with Roddenberry...namely; when Goldsmith said that he had difficulty getting a "handle" on what to score thematically for the Klingons Roddenberry's less-than-helpful response was:

"Damn Klingons will get you every time!" Of course Wise was much easier to deal with.

I think that Goldsmith was a little embarrassed about the majesty of the music and the rapture it attracted from people.

Anyway...he was wonderful to listen to and spent some time interacting with the audience in the obligatory Aussie "wine and cheese" gathering after the lecture. He signed LPs (Including my rare Planet of the Apes recording...) and was generally very genial, despite his minders being a little over-protective. I have a tape of the lecture about the house, somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Lost: season 2

Better album than the first, but then again it's immidiate energy somehow fizzles towards the end of the disc. But I would recommend it overall, even moreso than the first season's album. More tense music this time around.

The Black Dahlia

Very strong score. I don't know how it compares to L.A Confidential though.

Signs

Eaisly one of the best of the new milennium.

Karol

ST:TMP is a brilliant score and probably Goldsmith's greatest or at least in his top 5.

I couldn't agree more...almost religious and so majestic in its scope. Strangely, Goldsmith derided his own ability when talking about this score. He visited Australia in 1983 and I had a chance to go and hear him speak at the State Film Centre in Melbourne. At the time he was really quite chuffed at the score he had written for the Twilight Zone movie and the audience got to hear a lot of the tracks therein. He also spoke about his work in most of his earlier movies.

Of ST-TMP he said that he regretted that the music had taken on religious overtones and he recounted the difficulties he experienced with Roddenberry...namely; when Goldsmith said that he had difficulty getting a "handle" on what to score thematically for the Klingons Roddenberry's less-than-helpful response was:

"Damn Klingons will get you every time!" Of course Wise was much easier to deal with.

I think that Goldsmith was a little embarrassed about the majesty of the music and the rapture it attracted from people.

Anyway...he was wonderful to listen to and spent some time interacting with the audience in the obligatory Aussie "wine and cheese" gathering after the lecture. He signed LPs (Including my rare Planet of the Apes recording...) and was generally very genial, despite his minders being a little over-protective. I have a tape of the lecture about the house, somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

Wowza! I never realized he visited our fair land. Too bad it was two years before I was born.

Star Trek III

A decent sequel score, but inconsistent and not great. Stealing the Enterprise is a superb cue, equal to anything in Trek II. The cue for the Enterprise arriving at Spacedock is quite nice too. The Klingon theme is OK, but pales in comparison to Goldsmith's. And most of the Vulcan stuff is rather bland. Nice rendition of the classic series theme at the end, though.

X-Men: The Last Stand

Awesome score. Most enjoyable of the three in terms of popcorn sugar rush adventure score.

Yes, but it is completely silly in the film because of this entertainment value. So it doesn't quite do its job.

What's so great about Kamen's X-MEN?

Karol

Corpse Bride. After listening to the wonderful Serenada Schizophrana I wanted to listen to more Elfman.

That was one of my favorite scores of last year.

Ted

"Braveheart". I am still amazed that I hadn't bought this album untill yesterday. I love this music even though I am not a fan of this composer. And it is definitely better than "Titanic" (good, but little overrated score).

"Beyond Rangoon" - fantastic thing, one of my favourite Zimmer's scores.

What's so great about Kamen's X-MEN?

Rather than scoring the heroism like every other superhero movie, Kamen's score focuses much more on the characters and their emotions. For that reason alone, I like it as an X-Men score. It's one of the elements that set the original film apart from other superhero fare for me. It also has a very distinct voice of its own. Much more so than Ottman's X2.